Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:32 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times

Advertisements

Most:
USA
Argentina
Brasil
Colombia

Least:
India
China
Cuba
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 04:52 AM

973 posts, read 1,704,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Canadians are super patriotic. They travel with flags on their back, and half of their conversations while abroad are about Canada. They absolutely eat up anti-Americanism coming from the United States, and devour it as ways to boast about the virtues of being Canadian.

I find Americans to be about half and half. There is the patriotic kind that serves in the military, votes Republican, etc.

Than there are the other half of Americans who constantly challenges their government, their system, and floods the entire world markets with movies, books, documentaries, academia, etc. with their questioning their own country on just about every aspect. Probably 95% of the anti-american books and movies out there are written and made by Americans. The other 5% are just referencing the 95% made by Americans.

Also, as a person who has lived over a decade in Japan and South Korea. Koreans are super patriotic to the extreme. Japanese are not at all. Japanese are some of the most modest, polite, well-traveled, least nationalistic people. Maybe in 1940 they deserved that reputation, but not in 2012. I heard more patriotic things in one day in Korea, than I have heard while living in Japan the last four years.
I agree with what I bolded and want to add that Americans tend to be more patrioitic when we celebrate our indepence OR when things like 9-11 happen.....but when time then goes on and we are either economically comfortable or at peace, we become more apathetic again in regards to patriotism.

BUT with that said, I truly think there is a fine line between being overly patriotic and being nationalistic....case in point, Serbia where at times the overt patriotism borders on nationalistic fanaticism! And someone mentioned Germany as not being patriotic, well they are really in a tough position, for if they seem to be TOO patriotic, people will begin to think of them as they were under Hitler. I know many of my German friends are in a quandary over this, and their government lets many things from other nationalities/religions "slide" due to NOT wanting people to think this. AND to me it is sad, as Germans/Germany are slowing losing who they are and their country.

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 12-22-2011 at 05:11 AM..

Old 12-22-2011, 05:01 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,692 times
Germans/Germany are slowing losing who they are and their country.

----

No, they are becoming Germans and leaving away the Prussian influence.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:13 AM

973 posts, read 1,704,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Germans/Germany are slowing losing who they are and their country.

----

No, they are becoming Germans and leaving away the Prussian influence.

Hmmm... have you talked to any Germans recently and how their country is changing due to past and present immigration?

Old 12-22-2011, 05:53 AM

2 posts, read 9,229 times
Most patriotic people I've met (to a distasteful point of extreme) - Greeks. If you meet a Greek, test them out by saying you are Macedonian. The conversation will by default turn to a fight where they will want to gouge your eyes out, even if they are considered to be educated or cultured.

Least patriotic (i've met) - Icelandic, Dutch, Austrian, Slovenian, New Zealander

Old 12-22-2011, 06:06 AM

77 posts, read 235,512 times
From My experience

Most Patriotic - Polish (by far the most nationalistic people ever), argentinians, brazilians

Least Patriotic- Swedish, UK (most people), Belgians.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWasOGT View Post
Most patriotic people I've met (to a distasteful point of extreme) - Greeks. If you meet a Greek, test them out by saying you are Macedonian. The conversation will by default turn to a fight where they will want to gouge your eyes out, even if they are considered to be educated or cultured.

Least patriotic (i've met) - Icelandic, Dutch, Austrian, Slovenian, New Zealander
Kiwis seem patriotic in the same way Canadians are. Much of their identity as a nation is derived from being distinct from the US or Australia, while at the same time flocking to Australia to live and work.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:57 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,184,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Least patriotic:

- Netherlands
- Germany
- Scandinavia
- Brazil
Norway is quite patriotic. It gained full sovereignty in 1905. 17 May, Norway's Constitution Day, is celebrated with flags, parades, music, family (and so on) all over the country.

Picture from Wikipedia.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:09 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Canadians are super patriotic. They travel with flags on their back, and half of their conversations while abroad are about Canada. They absolutely eat up anti-Americanism coming from the United States, and devour it as ways to boast about the virtues of being Canadian.

I.

Also, as a person who has lived over a decade in Japan and South Korea. Koreans are super patriotic to the extreme. Japanese are not at all. Japanese are some of the most modest, polite, well-traveled, least nationalistic people. Maybe in 1940 they deserved that reputation, but not in 2012. I heard more patriotic things in one day in Korea, than I have heard while living in Japan the last four years.
Yes many Canadians where their flag on their backpacks or sleeves. Mainly so they won't be mistaken for us. Many Americans also wear the Candaian flag when traveling so we won't be mistaken for us.

I think in some instances we are mixing partiotism (positive) with nationalism (a negative). Just a thought. What do you think is the difference between the two?

Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,620 times
I agree. Flag-waving does not equal patriotism. Most Americans are nationalistic flag-wavers, not true patriots. True patriots are those who question our corrupt government and refuse to blindly follow orders. And whoever said Canadians are not patriotic is full of it. Canadians are some of the most patriotic people I have ever met. If they weren't, they would have become part of the United States a long time ago (around 1812 I would imagine).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World