Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 03:17 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

^ Great post. The same applies to many societies around the world. Asia, Africa.etc, you name it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 04:43 AM

355 posts, read 1,190,370 times
Tvdxer

The society you are describing is typical of underdeveloped societies. Spain, Italy and France were like that 40, 50 and 60 years ago. When "development" comes, (jobs, cars, mobility and independence), extended families and arranged marriages with cousins, etc, go BUST. It happened with my family. When everybody was "poor", there was a lot of family meetings and family support.

In Spain we also have "Conservatives" that hate abortion, gay wedding and some belong to Catholic sects such as the Opus. Of course, they are in favour of a traditional model of family, but my parents and their milieu were in that category I can attest that it's all make believe. Just like belonging to any political party. Deepdown, nobody really believed in that crap, but during 40 years you were forced to make believe to the society that you believed in that crap.

Most of the people that were in the OPUS (a powerful economic lobby disguised as a Catholic sect that was, and still is, poweful in Spain, Italy, Latin America and the US) were/are hypocrites that were after money and power.

Last edited by Cocoricoco; 04-28-2012 at 04:57 AM..

Old 04-28-2012, 10:25 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,268,607 times
Poland has one of the lowest birth rates in Europe and its 95% catholic (well half of those ctully dont even go to church but lets stick to official figures)
so i dont see any connection with religion when it comes to family.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:32 AM

Poland was communist, quite different. When the Catholic Church is in power (as they were here in Spain 37 years ago) they want large families, no divorce, no abortions, no gay wedding, no contraceptive pill or contraceptive methods. In such societies, people that are not married and have many kids are shunned.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:34 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
Poland was communist, quite different. When the Catholic Church is in power (as they were here in Spain 37 years ago) they want large families, no divorce, no abortions, no gay wedding, no contraceptive pill or contraceptive methods. In such societies, people that are not married and have many kids are shunned.
poland was communist but it was strongly catholic despite this compared to other european countries

Old 04-28-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
poland was communist but it was strongly catholic despite this compared to other european countries

Yes, they were/are very Catholics, but the Church did not regulate the private life of people.

For example; women could abort, divorce, they could marry outside the church and anticonception pills were not considered evil. All such things ocurred in Spain 37 years ago.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:37 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i wasnt really refering to it in the context of anti catholicism , germany is culturally protestant but thats not to say its anti catholic
My neck of Bavaria, and most of my German friends, although raised catholic, are very anti-catholic.

They seem to hate the pope and pedophilia and the support of it by the church.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:51 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
My neck of Bavaria, and most of my German friends, although raised catholic, are very anti-catholic.

They seem to hate the pope and pedophilia and the support of it by the church.
its incorrect to say the catholic church supported pedohilia , its been widely proven that they did however cover it up and prioritised the institution over the wellfare of the victims

as for your friends hating the pope , the present pope is german , not a very charismatic man but hating seems a tad strong

Old 04-28-2012, 04:59 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
Yes, they were/are very Catholics, but the Church did not regulate the private life of people.

For example; women could abort, divorce, they could marry outside the church and anticonception pills were not considered evil. All such things ocurred in Spain 37 years ago.
There are degrees of Catholicism, most moderates like myself here (and including Italian immigrants -we have very few Spanish) do not adhere to the doctrine of Papal infallibility -and hence the above-mentioned scenarios are not the norm.
Poland is obviously the same.
Unlike numerous cult-like religions, the RCC has very little control over it's members lives anymore.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:09 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Student loans in Europe are not creating such financial distress like in the USA, because many universities are free of charge, there also are many grants and no interest loans. Most other universities charges are very low.
Does education need cost so much? A comparison with Western Europe | Liberal Conspiracy
On a related note to that, for quite a while now, students are protesting in the streets in Montreal, quite intensely (the education minister's office was trashed) against rising tuition fees.

Quebec students call for Saturday protests - Montreal - CBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World