Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 10:13 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Would you say this is the trend in most of Europe?

Are the exceptions mostly the Anglo-nations, Northern Europe.etc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Northern European countries (even the UK) are culturally very similar. That does not surprise me. Families tend to stick together more in southern European countries.
A NY times' blog just had this article about historical cultural norms for family organization. There's an interesting map of western Europe by family types -- Anglo-Saxon culture belongs to the absolute nuclear family type.

Family Ties - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
A NY times' blog just had this article about historical cultural norms for family organization. There's an interesting map of western Europe by family types -- Anglo-Saxon culture belongs to the absolute nuclear family type.

Family Ties - NYTimes.com
Yes nuclear families seem a peculiarly post 1940s Anglo-Saxon thing.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Yes nuclear families seem a peculiarly post 1940s Anglo-Saxon thing.
Well, the article seems to be arguing the nuclear family (or at least a cultural predisposition to more liberal, looser families) goes back very far.

"The researchers speculate that the origin of the areas might be medieval, or even older."

Old 07-22-2012, 10:33 PM

Strangely enough though and perhaps ironically, I've read that the Old English (Anglo-Saxon) language is thought by many historical linguists, to have a lot of terms for extended family that disappeared/were replaced after the Norman conquest (for example, Old English had a separate word for maternal uncle, Eam, and paternal uncle, Fædera, but both these words were replaced by the general term Uncle, borrowed from French Oncle).

How much that change in language actually represents or says anything about changes in attitudes (or the relative importance of extended kin) in Medieval times is debatable though.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:41 PM

And it seems that trying to claim that nuclear families "started" already in Medieval times is a bit of a stretch for many scholars to accept, but there does seem to be some things written on the idea that northern Europe was already a bit more liberal in family ties than southern Europe, even before the industrial age, and that this helped them actually industrialize/create the modern detached type of lifestyle more quickly.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if these claims are accurate or not.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Interesting article. In Medieval times you had a lot more people living under roof, I think there might've been arrangements like the nuclear family in some cases but I don't think it was the norm.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:39 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No. It's quite common in Sweden and Norway. I don't know about Germany. Common in Eastern Europe, for sure.
No, it is not common in Norway. I am pretty sure it is the same in Sweden.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:56 AM

88 posts, read 235,215 times
This is one thing I never got used to while living in Italy. I would meet women who were in their 30's and still lived with their parents. That in itself is not such a big deal but some had to ask permission to be out until a certain hour or shared a bedroom with their sibling(s). It was pretty surreal. But I do envy how close their families are, especially around the holidays and other big events.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 AM

22 posts, read 45,136 times
I saw in the figures above that Slovenians and Slovaks are the last to move out

One of the reason in Slovenia is the income and the cost of living but the major one are the benefits of "Hotel Mama". Without renting costs you can live a good life with the average Slovenian income. You can afford to have a better car, motorbike, you can travel in exotic destination etc.

Another reason is taht lot of Slovenian own too big houses for one family (two or more apartments in one house). In the 70ies and 80ies a major part of non urban population build a big house. When the children get older or when they get married they simply move to their own apartment in the same house.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:19 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:

I know in the Anglo countries it's more expected that you're not living with mummy and daddy past the age of about 25 unless you have a good reason to. Those over this age are sometimes considered 'losers.' I notice more and more people here doing that, due to the price of housing/rents, and it's no longer see as a 'rite of passage' to leave at age 18, 21.

Anglo countries have developed this trend (children acquiring their independence very soon) because they could afford to. Independence is a luxury. It means you have personal resources to pay for everything on your own. That's either personal funds (good salary relative to cost of living) or access to credit.

For a long time, the economy in these countries was in such ways that it allowed young people to go out on their own, get their own apartments, get cars, get whatever they needed for a solo life. So it became the norm and anyone deviating from it was a "loser".
Even living with a room-mate is still more expensive than living with family - because room-mates only share the space, but they do no help each other with myriad things and reciprocal support available in a household for everyone.

The world is getting bigger, the space is running out, the resources are becoming more scarce.
Even developed Westerners are not exempt from ecological realities.
They will adapt their culture and learn to live with their families when alternatives will slowly be getting more and more out of reach for the average person.

I never understood the Western arrogance in absolutely refusing to acknowledge that pretty much everything in their culture that appears "oh, so civilized" compared to other parts of the world, is due to the fact that, historically, they got their dirty hands on global resources FIRST - the most important of these resource being livable space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World