Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Canadians sound like Americans?
No, I can tell the accents apart easily, regardless of the generation of speakers 72 24.16%
Older Canadians don't, but younger Canadians have that American twang 14 4.70%
They sound somewhat like Americans but not exactly 156 52.35%
Canadians of all ages sound like Americans to me 56 18.79%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:32 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,232 times

Advertisements

Personally I think the two accents sound pretty different. Canadian is certainly the closest foreign accent to sounding American (next IMO would be the accent of Northern Ireland) and on first listen, it might sound American but I think it has a lot of different features. For one thing, they tend to not draw out vowel sounds, they say quite a few words differently and of course they pronounce the vowel in 'about' and 'house' differently.

I would never mistake a British Columbian for a Texan, or an Ontarian for someone from Kansas. I'd actually argue that some people in the Western and Midwestern US sound Canadian rather than the other way around.

And of course, the accent in Newfoundland is completely different, a strong Newfoundland accent can sound more European than American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 PM

BTW I'm generally referring to British Columbians, Prairie Province residents and Ontarians. Obviously, most people in Quebec don't even speak English let alone the American accent of it...

Old 11-25-2012, 10:43 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,677 times
There's no one american accent so you can't generalize that canadians do or don't sound like americans. Based on your examples would you ever mistake a bostonian for a texan or an oregonian for someone from kansas? and yet they are all american accents.

Most canadians sound closest to what is known as the general american newscaster accent or midwest accent. Peter Jennings is a good example of a canadian with that tenor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YKBVnQP7S8

Old 11-25-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
There's no one american accent so you can't generalize that canadians do or don't sound like americans. Based on your examples would you ever mistake a bostonian for a texan or an oregonian for someone from kansas? and yet they are all american accents.

Most canadians sound closest to what is known as the general american newscaster accent or midwest accent. Peter Jennings is a good example of a canadian with that tenor:

Peter Jennings reflects on the role of Television in the midst of National tragedy. - YouTube
About seventy percent of Americans I would say nowadays speak more or less the General American accent. And I would say out of Anglo-Canadians, it's a similar percentage that speak a generic Canadian accent. So i'd say despite the existence of regional accents along the fringes of the US and Canada, it's still a sensible comparison.

And I probably could mistake someone from Oregon for someone from Kansas though overall I'd say the accent spoken in Oregon is somewhere in between Kansas and Canada. A Bostonian for a Texan? Maybe if their accent was highly generic, but a strong example no of course not.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:54 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,500,188 times
As someone who has never being to the USA or Canada, yes I find it very difficult.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:24 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times
If you're used to them then yes, they are very different. It's like any accents. People in the US often ask me if I'm Australian (I'm British) because they are not used to hearing the accents regularly. I couldn't tell the difference between New Zealand and Australia until I spent 6 months in New Zealand and could understand the differences.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:48 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
My grandparents, who are dead, were often mistaken for Canadians. They grew up outside of Richmond, Virginia.

They said "out" and "about" exactly like Canadians do.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
My grandparents, who are dead, were often mistaken for Canadians. They grew up outside of Richmond, Virginia.

They said "out" and "about" exactly like Canadians do.
Were they from the Tidewater region? They sound a lot like eastern Canadians there.

Oh just realized you said they were from Richmond my bad.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:26 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
I am from the UK and I can't tell the difference between the two, an American if asked will always say that I am Australian though!! I think there must be similarities between English and Australian accents and American and Canadian accents so that only those that know them well can tell the difference!

Old 11-26-2012, 05:03 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
They sound the same to me. I'm a non-English speaker. That might explain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World