Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:08 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I haven't been to Scandinavia for example but I have spent some summers abroad (UK, Tunisie, USA, etc) and nowhere else the nigh came at 10pm.
It's only because Spain is at the westernmost point of a rather large time zone, therefore the sun rises and sets later than elsewhere. A quick glance at a time zone map suggests Western China is probably even more extreme (as it's in the same time zone as Eastern China).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:26 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
It's only because Spain is at the westernmost point of a rather large time zone, therefore the sun rises and sets later than elsewhere. A quick glance at a time zone map suggests Western China is probably even more extreme (as it's in the same time zone as Eastern China).
That's true, but the sun rises in London a lot earlier than in Madrid. So the length of the total day is 1.5 hours longer than in Madrid at summer solstice, in Berlin almost 2 hours.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I was going to say that it is astronomically impossible for Catbelle's location to actually have longer days than I do. I live 40°N of the equator, as does she (+/- 1°) that puts me on the same plane as Madrid. The disk of the sun should be visible with an identical or near identical amount of time to my location. Now, Ariete on the other hand, has extremely long summer days which I would say as a plus for Finland, and a worst category of super short winter days.

Now, I know it's not a country but let's do Puerto Rico, where I do originally come from:

BEST:

Weather (83°F/28°C winter, 87°F/30°C summer with lots and lots of rain)
Summer and winter days are almost the same in terms of length
The food (mofongos are the best, followed by arroz con bistec ensebollado y habichuelas [rice with steak and onions with beans] followed and fire roasted lechón [young pig] is the best)
The people and culture

WORST:

High unemployment
Very high crime levels in the San Juan-Bayamón-Carolina-Caguas corridor and Ponce that rivals many cities in Mexico
The worst drivers in the US
High cost of living with low paying jobs (no wonder it's common seeing people in their late 20s still living with mami and papi)

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 02-06-2013 at 07:57 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I was going to say that it is astronomically impossible for Catbelle's location to actually have longer days than I do. I live 40°N of the equator, as does she (+/- 1°) that puts me on the same plane as Madrid. The disk of the sun should be visible with an identical or near identical amount of time to my location. Now, Ariete on the other hand, has extremely long summer days which I would say as a plus for Finland, and a worst category of super short winter days.

Now, I know it's not a country but let's do Puerto Rico, where I do originally come from:

BEST:

Weather (28°C winter, 30°C summer with lots and lots of rain)
Summer and winter days are almost the same in terms of length
The food (mofongos are the best, followed by arroz con bistec ensebollado y habichuelas [rice with steak and onions with beans] followed and fire roasted lechón [young pig] is the best)
The people and culture

WORST:

High unemployment
Very high crime levels in the San Juan-Bayamón-Carolina-Caguas corridor and Ponce
The worst drivers in the US
High cost of living with low paying jobs (no wonder it's common seeing people in their late 20s still living with mami and papi)
Puerto Rico is most def a country. How else do you explain their presence at the Olympics? PR is a country that happens to be a colony of the US at the moment.

I don't see statehood anywhere on the horizon as you can see Congress has done nothing with the vote from PR in November.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:00 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,488,519 times
The thing is that in Spain the time zone is wrong, we have GMT+1 in stead of GMT, that means it gets dark later (and the sun rises later too)
I am around 3º West from Greenwich and now it is 4pm, in London they are 0º and it's 3pm right now. Rome is 13º E and it is also 4pm.

Yes in those countries the sun rises earlier, maybe at 4am :O but that is a disadvantage for me lol, specially because I sleep at that time and many countries don't have blinds or "persianas" so I prefer the sun rising later and seting also later :P I take more advantage of the day

Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times
Best:
-Friendly and helpful people
-Lack of "class" divisions
-Strong economy
-High minimum wage, and decent public healthcare
-Politically stable
-Good education system
-Nice natural scenery and wildlife
-Nice weather for outdoor activities year-round
-Generally harmonious and safe society

Worst:
-Expensive (food, housing, utilities...)
-Complex taxation system
-Complacent and somewhat parochial
-Political apathy/alienation
-Very suburban
-Isolation
-Heavily dependent on private transport and a discourteous driving culture

Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
The thing is that in Spain the time zone is wrong, we have GMT+1 in stead of GMT, that means it gets dark later (and the sun rises later too)
I am around 3º West from Greenwich and now it is 4pm, in London they are 0º and it's 3pm right now. Rome is 13º E and it is also 4pm.

Yes in those countries the sun rises earlier, maybe at 4am :O but that is a disadvantage for me lol, specially because I sleep at that time and many countries don't have blinds or "persianas" so I prefer the sun rising later and seting also later :P I take more advantage of the day
That's why I miss Puerto Rico. Summer solstice days are somewhere like 6 AM sunrise, 7PM sunset. Winter solstice days are 7 AM and 6 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Puerto Rico is most def a country. How else do you explain their presence at the Olympics? PR is a country that happens to be a colony of the US at the moment.

I don't see statehood anywhere on the horizon as you can see Congress has done nothing with the vote from PR in November.
Eh, about as much of a country as Quebec is, I suppose

Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
The US

best: we are the most awsomeness country ever and everbody loves us and wants to be ruled by us.

worst: nobody else in the world realizes ^this.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
The US

best: we are the most awsomeness country ever and everbody loves us and wants to be ruled by us.

worst: nobody else in the world realizes ^this.
LMAO

Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Best: History, culture, economic freedom, scenery (green rolling hills, dramatic mountains, white sandy beaches or rugged coastal cliffs), universal healthcare, resilient labour market, connectivity to other places

Worst: Crappy winters, high prices, first past the post, chavs, congestion, not in my back yard attitude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World