Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:51 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times

Advertisements

Is the country Georgia more European or more Asian or Middle Eastern? Geographically it's Asian, whether part of the Middle East or not I don't know, but what about culturally?

Also, if you have ever been there, what's it like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 05:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Culturally seems kinda similar to Russia moreso than the Middle East.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Culturally seems kinda similar to Russia moreso than the Middle East.
would Russia be considered European?
Also, is Georgia at all alike Turkey?

Old 03-04-2013, 06:20 PM

One reason for this thread is that I have never really thought that much about Georgia until I read the Wikipedia page about it! The climate sounds wonderful as it is much wetter and moderate than I thought it to be! The economy is growing like crazy with GDP growth rates over 10%! The language is unique with no near relatives! There is a lot of rail transportation in comparison to highway! And the list goes on.

If I were to someday go traveling, Georgia is number 1 on my list.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:34 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
The Georgian language is so weird that the word for "father" is "mama."

Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
The Georgian language is so weird that the word for "father" is "mama."
now that's funny

Old 03-04-2013, 09:17 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
There are no such continents called 'Europe' and 'Asia', but a unique land mass that some authors call 'Eurasia' or 'Eurafrasia', if one include Africa.

I think the word 'Asia' should be used only for countries such as China, Japan, India, Korea; those influenced by the non-Abrahamic religions, although due to geographic criteria some muslim and christian countries like Phillipines and Malaysia must be included. This works as an opposition to the word 'Europe' for meaning the christian countries of the far west of Eurasia. The Middle East and the Caucasus should be separate regions both from Europe and Asia.

The Earth has only four 'continents' in the proper sense of the word: Eurafrasia, America, Australia and Antartida.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:27 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Is the country Georgia more European or more Asian or Middle Eastern? Geographically it's Asian, whether part of the Middle East or not I don't know, but what about culturally?

Also, if you have ever been there, what's it like?
Phil,

I spent six months living in Georgia through this program.
Teach & Learn With Georgia

I can't answer your question about Georgian culture being European, Asian, or Middle Eastern because I don't think those are homogenous groups.

Georgian culture is Georgian culture.

If you have any specific questions, fell free to ask. Maybe a DM because I might not stumble back to this thread again.

Here's some pics I posted in another thread

http://www.city-data.com/forum/28418580-post10.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/28527030-post11.html

Last edited by filihok; 03-04-2013 at 11:37 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Phil,

I spent six months living in Georgia through this program.
Teach & Learn With Georgia

I can't answer your question about Georgian culture being European, Asian, or Middle Eastern because I don't think those are homogenous groups.

Georgian culture is Georgian culture.

If you have any specific questions, fell free to ask. Maybe a DM because I might not stumble back to this thread again.

Here's some pics I posted in another thread

http://www.city-data.com/forum/28418580-post10.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/28527030-post11.html
Nice pics! I have just two questions for you: how fast is Georgia changing and what would it be like to travel there?

Old 03-05-2013, 12:12 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Nice pics! I have just two questions for you: how fast is Georgia changing and what would it be like to travel there?
These are difficult questions for me to answer

Mikheil Saakashvili is spending huge amounts of money on infrastructure and to lure tourists to Georgia. The country is changing in that way.

Visiting Georgia, like visiting anyplace, the experience is up to you.

If you go to Batumi and stay in the Sheraton and do nothing but sit on the beach and go to clubs it's going to be a totally different experience than if you ride marshutkas and stay in guest houses.

What's your interest in Georgia? What are your expectations? Why do you want to go to Georgia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World