Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Mexicans 2 4.26%
Europeans 16 34.04%
Canadians 11 23.40%
Other 18 38.30%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm flattered that my thread represents a whole country's insecurities
Isn't that what your thread is about?

Old 03-14-2013, 12:33 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Isn't that what your thread is about?
No i'm trying my hardest not to over-generalize.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I was in Greece last summer, and the people there over and over and over told us that they love Americans and they were so glad that we weren't scared off by their countries current difficulties. We were offered free cab rides, free food, it was crazy! We of course refused their generous offers and paid our way, but it was so nice knowing that we were so warmly welcomed into their country.

The French, eh, they hate us. But they hate everyone, so we don't feel bad. The Italians don't hate us, they could care less about us. The Germans, of all of them I think the Germans think of us as a bit of a rival. They never say so, but both countries are more similar than they want to admit in many ways.

The Brits and Canadians, well, they are like our kid brother. (Or us theirs.) We act aloof, they make us crazy sometimes, and really angry others, but when it comes down to it, we love them, they love us, and we've got each others backs. If someone tries to bully one of us, the other will punch their daylights out. Or send a zombie invasion.

I don't think that statement as a whole is true, but the US has more than it's fair share who want to live here--even among the Europeans.

The French do not hate Americans, nor do they hate "everyone else".... I simply cannot understand this idea which is constantly being bandied about in the US. If anything I would say French people tend to look up a little too much to America. American culture has seeped into almost every aspect of French culture, music and language.

Of course many people want to live in the US. But having been through American customs every single year you would believe the whole world dreams of moving to the US which is also not true. There is a lot of romanticisation surrounding the American Dream, American popular culture has been fantastically successful at disseminating the idea that America is simply better, wealthier, more successful etc.... The Hollywood movie industry has a lot to be blamed for when it comes to foreigners' idealisation of the US.

A lot of people want to live in the UK and France too. And Germany. Even Greece gets a hell of a lot of immigrants ( more than anyone in Europe I believe), it does not mean the Greeks are superior, nor the French nor the Germans, Brits etc... It just means the public perception especially from poorer nation is that it is a safer place and economically more geared up to better conditions. Or closest geographically , linguistically and culturally if you are going to make a new home there....

I have quite a few American friends, my Grand-Father was American, I lived in the US for 3 years and I don't think I know anyone who has been badly treated in France because of their Nationality.

Most have had some rather intense political debates with French people on social , foreign and economic policies but as it is the American goverment being criticised not Americans as individuals.

There are surly, rude French people like there are surly, rude Brits, Americans, Germans, etc... but I really don't think French people are somehow any more rude, than anybody else.

My Husband who is a Brit and about as Anglo-Saxon as you can get has never had anything but kindness and hospitality bestowed upon him by my compatriots. With or without me. I still maintain he is treated if anything better than I am as a French person.... being British makes him "cool" to be around, and everyone wants to either practice their English with him or talk about WW2 for the older generation.

I just find it odd how so many Americans however persist in feeling slighted and singled out for bad treatment. Any criticism is perceived as a personal insult/attack when it is nothing of the sort.

I love the US and on the whole I think Americans are lovely, sweet, friendly and hospitable people. But there is a definite tendency to isolationism and a gung-ho approach to the rest of the world IMO.

Patriotism becomes a vice when it turns so aggressive and self assertive on a permanent basis. It goes beyond loving your country and becomes wanting to force others to fall into step and obey the dictates of the "greatest Nation on Earth"....

Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
The French do not hate Americans, nor do they hate "everyone else".... I simply cannot understand this idea which is constantly being bandied about in the US. If anything I would say French people tend to look up a little too much to America. American culture has seeped into almost every aspect of French culture, music and language.
You aren't American therefore you haven't felt the ire of the French as a tourist in their country. I stand by what I said. I've traveled extensively. I am not an ugly American. I try to fit in, and learn the customs before I arrive in their country. I'd never be so foolish as to assume that they'll accept US dollars (which is one "Ugly American" trick that leaves me dumbfounded) or expect them to know English. I've never felt so unwelcome anywhere as I have in France.

Quote:
Of course many people want to live in the US. But having been through American customs every single year you would believe the whole world dreams of moving to the US which is also not true. There is a lot of romanticisation surrounding the American Dream, American popular culture has been fantastically successful at disseminating the idea that America is simply better, wealthier, more successful etc.... The Hollywood movie industry has a lot to be blamed for when it comes to foreigners' idealisation of the US.
I never said the whole world.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:23 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
wow, title of this thread is so smug and unclassy, that it shouldnt even be dignified with an answer

too late i guess

Old 03-14-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ So, you just decided to continue that trend? Most of those threads are created by Americans. I don't see threads created by Australians, Canadians, Europeans , Africans... asking over and over again who does not love them and why...
lol, you are awesome

OP seems like insecure himself, with a reasoning process of a 7 year old.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
The very fact this thread exists says more about the USA's insecurities than any other country.
or maybe the OP insecurities. Poor USA dont put them all in the same bag. I agree the patriotics arrogants percentage is greater there than in any other country but still, there are millons of decent USA citizens too

Old 03-14-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Uh, stop creating threads like this and people will stop bashing Americans. People usually bash Americans when Americans are acting arrogant, superior and that everywhere else is inferior. Do yourself a favour and stop.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:32 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
I voted "other" --> Americans.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
The US IMO seem to be the most insecure towards its own standing.

So many Americans seem to think the rest of the world hates them, judges them and has a chip on its shoulders about any criticism of its foreign or economic policies.

I think also the "We are the greatest, best, most free, most democratic , everybody wants to be us, live here...." implies quite a degree of latent insecurity disguised under ultra nationalist and ultra patriotic guise.

Nobody else in the world seem to care half as much how the world perceives them and nobody seems to have that desperation to be loved, adored and looked up to.

There is an almost childish defiance by some Americans and bullish behaviour as if trying to convince themselves they are constantly in the right and a surliness when it comes to other Nationalities and Cultures a little too vehement to be anything but some form of insecurity.

He who doth protest too much and all that.... Screaming the loudest is often a perfect way to reassure yourself you have nothing to fear and trying to drown out any other voices....

what an amazing post

ill rep you again if i could
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World