Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 PM

557 posts, read 672,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
But in truth its not 'Americanisation'' thats taking place its globalization the world is becoming more fused together. Yes to a certain extent Americanization in the past was taking place with the expand of Mcdonalds, fast food joints, rap music etc but now its more complex. I take offence because here in the UK we are NOT becoming more American but more 'Global' throughout the world getting suchi in Brisbane is as easy as getting ''Fries''.
This is another point if ''Americanisation'' is taking place why is Sushi getting progressively popular in the west or why is Tacos popular in the States? Or why is Curry becoming like a nation dish in the UK? is it because its becoming ''Americanized'' ?? Or is the world becoming more fused together?
When I walk down a high street I can still buy scones, hamburger and fries an expresso coffee, British fish and chips, jerk chicken, a curry, and a tradition thai (but possibly westernized) meal on ONE STREET.
Another term westernized doesn't mean the United States but Europe also.
Once again I feel offended on behave of the whole world because its like your trying to dismiss everything except America.
But, it's strange to me for someone to be offended by the idea of Americanization, but not globalization. Many have written about Americanization, do you feel offended by those who have studied and written those books, blogs, reports, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 07:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
British inventions - Penicillin, Turbojet Engine, television, telephone, World Wide Web, laptop computer, MP3 Player, Pencil, first computer game with 3D graphics, DNA fingerprinting, fingerprinting, blood transfusions, anaesthesia, Antisepsis in surgery, Smallpox vaccine, Periodic Table, Newton's laws of motion, typhoid vaccine.

Lists of British inventions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BOTH countries have made amazing contributions.
A lot of inventions claim more than one inventor since it's rare that one person is working on a particular goal. The MP3 Player history which I knew nothing about brought up two different claims, one a Croatian,

Tomislav Uzelac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and one a German,

History of MP3

The Croatian is the one who created the first successful one apparently, so is he the inventor? To me yes. Da Vinci thought up the helicopter, but can we really say he invented what we know as a helicopter today?
I see that conversion never ending.

Same with the telephone. Even Alexander Graham Bell went to court with Western Union because Western Union say Bell stole the patent from a man named Gray. Bell won, but if you look at the two drawings for the telephone they are almost the same.
This is where things for me get tricky. Can we claim that British invented the telephone just because Bell was Scottish, but living in Canada and the U.S. and doing his work in both countries. Perhaps.The first long distance phone call took place in Canada but I don't hear Canadians saying that we invented long distance.
Bell also became a U.S. citizen in 1882, but lived most of his time in Canada. He continued working on inventions to improve the hydrofoil. So are those inventions American because he was now American, or British ( I believe he retained his British citizenship since he lived in Canada and at that time there was no Canadian citizenship, we were just British subjects ) or Canadian?

Last, the light bulb. You are correct, Edison did NOT invent the light bulb. It existed as you state in many forms from different inventors. This story is missing in most accounts. Two Canadian inventors, Henry Woodward and Matthew Evans, produced light in a bulb using a carbon filament, six years before Edison announced his discovery. Edison bought their patent.
Here a couple of links to that story. Inventions are very rarely the brilliance of one person.

ARCHIVED - Light Bulb - Incredible Inventions - Cool Canada - Library and Archives Canada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Woodward_(inventor)

Old 03-25-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Thats right throw accusations at me that your guily of yourself.
Quote:
Don't be. You make it easy with your trails of almost militant nationalism. "we must rise up and stop the foreigners putting us down, huh rah!" lol.

You accused me of militant nationalism, yet you can't link to a single post of mine that supports your ridiculous and baseless statement. Why not just admit that you're wrong and stop making yourself look any more silly.

Last edited by drknoble; 03-25-2013 at 08:05 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Denim jeans were popular in America before anywhere else? Are you being serious?
According to yahoo they were:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrMLIdFawig

Old 03-25-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
The world would be doddling along fine without American "culture" Some of your music culture, if you'd bother to look, oowes its very existence to British bands. But you don't hear us trying to claim your most famous bands, or constantly pointing it out.
America invented ragtime, blues, jazz, gospel, country, R&B/soul, rock, disco, funk, pop, rap/hiphop, house, techno.

The only part of American music culture that the British had the biggest influence in was rock. And I would say at the most, 50% of rock music culture is British.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:05 PM

Here's another video on the history of jeans from CBS:

Blue Jeans: The fabric of freedom - YouTube

Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,786 times
Denim material, is from France and it was developed in the area of Nimes. Later the Basque sheepherders brought this cloth to the US. Then Levi Strauss had canvas made into waist overalls. Miners liked the pants, but complained that they tended to chafe. Levi Strauss substituted a twilled cotton cloth from France called "serge de Nimes." The fabric later became known as denim (de Nimes) and the pants were nicknamed blue jeans.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:09 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
America invented ragtime, blues, jazz, gospel, country, R&B/soul, rock, disco, funk, pop, rap/hiphop, house, techno.

The only part of American music culture that the British had the biggest influence in was rock. And I would say at the most, 50% of rock music culture is British.
While some of those genres were popularised and developed in the US, they had their roots in much earlier forms from outside, eg country (and bluegrass) derives from British and Irish folk music. Gospel (and by extension R&B/Soul) came from Africans singing English hymns. And you can't discount the huge influence of the likes of Kraftwerk and Jean-Michel Jarre on electronic music. And how are you defining "pop"? Because there was certainly early music which was popular among the masses which didn't originate in the US.

Also The Beatles were as equally influenced by music that pre-dated American rock: English folk, music hall, even classical, off the top of my head.

And don't forget your own national anthem is based on an English song

Old 03-26-2013, 02:26 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,523,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Americans will try and lay claim to just about everythig - the Beatles, denim jeans, cars, computers, anybody that did anything heroic in the war :-) (isnt there a film they made about the true story of the English codebreakers during the war where they simply made them all American lol, I think it upset some of the real veterens), pizzas, the ENGLISH language etc etc etc. :-D
lol, thats true. I pretty much agree with everything easthome and paull805 have said in this thread

this thread turned into "everything americans invented and how they are superior to everyone else" AGAIN. Do these nationalist have to pop up in every thread to again prove the point that extreme chauvinism is the biggest american quality??

yeah, you guys invented ALL the music, ALL the food in the world and ALL the good things that ever appeared in this world.

You also invented utter-ridiculous-unbelievable-incredible-over the top arrogance and chauvinism.

Get over yourselves. Its unclassy.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,523,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
But in truth its not 'Americanisation'' thats taking place its globalization the world is becoming more fused together. Yes to a certain extent Americanization in the past was taking place with the expand of Mcdonalds, fast food joints, rap music etc but now its more complex. I take offence because here in the UK we are NOT becoming more American but more 'Global' throughout the world getting suchi in Brisbane is as easy as getting ''Fries''.
This is another point if ''Americanisation'' is taking place why is Sushi getting progressively popular in the west or why is Tacos popular in the States? Or why is Curry becoming like a nation dish in the UK? is it because its becoming ''Americanized'' ?? Or is the world becoming more fused together?
When I walk down a high street I can still buy scones, hamburger and fries an expresso coffee, British fish and chips, jerk chicken, a curry, and a tradition thai (but possibly westernized) meal on ONE STREET.
Another term westernized doesn't mean the United States but Europe also.
Once again I feel offended on behave of the whole world because its like your trying to dismiss everything except America.
Also, agree with all this. Great post

rep you again if i could

I seem to always agree a lot with brittish people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World