Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 03:05 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,671 times

Advertisements

I think both parents usually work in many developed countries. I don't understand why wearing outdoor shoes that you've wiped on both the outside and the inside door mat is going to create so much dirt (unless you've been tramping in rain, mud or slush in which case everyone I know here in Australia would remove their shoes). There are two of us in my home - neither of us works (retired). We sweep and mop our hardwood floors about once a week and the water in the bucket doesn't get very dirty at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 03:13 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,393 times
Wikipedia is your friend:

Etiquette in Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In some European countries you have to wear your shoes indoors, but in others, such as Austria, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany[citation needed], Hungary, Iceland, Latvia, Norway, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Sweden, Slovenia and Ukraine it is considered rude not to take your shoes off, unless you are told to keep them on. In the United Kingdom this is almost universally the case with young children with formal functions being an occasional exception. For an adult who is visiting another's home as a guest, shoes are generally kept on after entry, though this is subject to the desire of the home owner. Removal of shoes may been seen as a partial waive of formality that is not appropriate for all occasions. It is usual all over the world to remove shoes when entering someone's home if they are wet or dirty."

Old 04-18-2013, 03:18 AM

252 posts, read 258,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
I think both parents usually work in many developed countries. I don't understand why wearing outdoor shoes that you've wiped on both the outside and the inside door mat is going to create so much dirt (unless you've been tramping in rain, mud or slush in which case everyone I know here in Australia would remove their shoes). There are two of us in my home - neither of us works (retired). We sweep and mop our hardwood floors about once a week and the water in the bucket doesn't get very dirty at all.
I think it's a sense of taking your shoes off and relaxing. I came from a European household and I notice I will have my shoes off while my friends don't. Assuming I'm not in public: work or school. If I'm in doors and expect to be there for 20+ minutes, I take off my shoes. It just feels nice to get some air

Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 AM

Yes, I can absolutely understand taking them off for comfort. I do the same myself if I'm plonked on the couch, or sitting at the computer. I feel weird walking around the house without shoes, so I usually slip them back on when moving from room to room.

I remember visiting various friends in Canada and having to take my shoes off before entering. I felt quite uncomfortable!

Old 04-18-2013, 04:44 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,488,519 times
In Spain nobody do it, in fact if someone comes and put their shoes off it can be a bit rude lol... But we don't hace carpet floors and the weather is never very rainy or snowy to damage the floor. People just clean their shoes in the doormat and that's all.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I know Canada is one, and I think Scandinavian countries fit the bill as well. At the other extreme, where it's a faux pas to take off your shoes, would be the U.S, U.K and France. What about other countries?
I don't know where you arrived at the notion that taking ones shoes off in the U.S. (I cannot speak for the U.K. or France) is considered a faux pas, however, we were raised to take our shoes off when entering someone's home as well as our own. I always do so even over the objections of the particular homeowner.

Personally, I think it is just good manners.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 04-18-2013, 05:04 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I don't know where you arrived at the notion that taking ones shoes off in the U.S. (I cannot speak for the U.K. or France) is considered a faux pas, however, we were raised to take our shoes off when entering someone's home as well as our own. I always do so even over the objections of the particular homeowner

Personally, I think it is just good manners.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
Would you say this is common in your region? What part of the US are you from?

Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 AM

354 posts, read 682,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
The slush, dirt and pebbles from the snow may be hard to get rid of by just wiping the shoes or boots on the mat. A lot of homes have carpets as well.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
The slush, dirt and pebbles from the snow may be hard to get rid of by just wiping the shoes or boots on the mat. A lot of homes have carpets as well.
LOL - no snow in most parts of Australia! But yes, under those conditions, it makes sense to remove shoes before entering a house. I have carpet in the bedrooms and hallways - it still look brand new after six years.

Seems the shoes on/shoes off thing is mainly dependent on prevailing weather conditions!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:04 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,430,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_limit View Post
European culture expects you to take your shoes off. So countries that are European OR have large influx of Euros (canada) believe in that

Americans mostly dont
Definitely not. Cold weather countries expect you to take them of, such us Canada or the Scandinavian countries. It's all about the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World