Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 AM

37,160 posts, read 39,441,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Not here anyway.

My uncle tried to tell us to do that in Canada but we told him where to go.
Quote:
Exactly and I would be very insulted if I went to visit someone and they told me to take my shoes off, its as if they are trying to say that i'm dirty and I don't clean myself.
Quote:
Thats nonsense no one has EVER told me to take my shoes off! EVER!
This is probably the most hilarious sequence of posts I've seen on this site. Holy cow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 11:38 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Sweden.
But who likes vacuuming so much they leave their shoes on?
lol! This is what I don't understand. So much dirt is tracked in on people's shoes, even if they wipe their shoes on a doormat. But most Americans can't relate to this issue.

Is Russia considered a Western country? You're expected to take your shoes off there. Slippers are provided. You're required to take your shoes off to enter museums, too.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,628,692 times
It's not a cultural requirement here in the US, but most people I know do expect you to take off your shoes when you come into the house, just as I do with people who come into mine. It's disgusting to wear shoes on the carpet, bringing in dirt and who knows what, and I don't want to have to shampoo my carpet every month. So I think this is common, though not something that is totally expected across the board here in the US.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:54 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is Russia considered a Western country? You're expected to take your shoes off there. Slippers are provided. You're required to take your shoes off to enter museums, too.
That's interesting re. the museums thing. Is this only in winter or all year?

Old 04-19-2013, 02:07 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol! This is what I don't understand. So much dirt is tracked in on people's shoes, even if they wipe their shoes on a doormat. But most Americans can't relate to this issue.

When I went to some museums in Russia we didn't have to take our shoes off

Old 04-19-2013, 04:02 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,454,397 times
During the course of an investigation, as a Canadian Forces Military Police investigator, my partner and I had to enter a Mosque, to speak to a member of the congregation . He asked us to remove our shoes( we were in plain clothes, not uniforms) and we complied. We understood that this was religious requirement, in their belief system.

By the way, in the Canadian Forces, we have a number of religious Sikhs ( including a Colonel who is the CO of the British Columbia Regiment ) who wear a full beard and turban, and carry a kirpan, in uniform. We wouldn't ask them to shave their beards off, or not wear their turbans, as that is a part of their religious piety.

My point ? We try to be accommodating here in Canada.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:31 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
That's interesting re. the museums thing. Is this only in winter or all year?
They give you simple cloth slippers, I guess most of the time they fit over your shoes, to protect the parquet floors.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:21 AM

308 posts, read 398,529 times
Quote:
Thats nonsense no one has EVER told me to take my shoes off! EVER!
Yeah, we know them Irish are a dirty bunch

By the way, I've removed carpet in a US home, in an area where the weather is nice and sunny most of the time. You guys should really consider removing your outdoor shoes when you go inside, judging by what I found to have filtered down through the carpet and padding.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:04 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,431,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
It's not a cultural requirement here in the US, but most people I know do expect you to take off your shoes when you come into the house, just as I do with people who come into mine. It's disgusting to wear shoes on the carpet, bringing in dirt and who knows what, and I don't want to have to shampoo my carpet every month. So I think this is common, though not something that is totally expected across the board here in the US.
Better get rid of the carpet. It's filthy.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:41 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
One question: Do many Brits still have carpeted bathrooms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World