Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 07:07 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,829,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTeaDrinker2013 View Post
Sorry but it's very easy to generalize a 300 year old country which is controlled by media & corporations, while still clinging to their forefathers. USA is a very simple society. Turn on the television, and you will see what most Americans are programmed to think and feel. There is a reason topics like politics and religion are avoided in public arenas/work, because for the most part Americans opinions have already been decided by mass media. Instead they spend their waking hours fixated on pop culture and sports. There is a reason why the USA has a 2-party system. Like I said, USA is a very simple and depth-less society.

So, in your opinion, what nation is the opposite of the United States in these matters? What nation is complex and deep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 08:07 AM

27,645 posts, read 28,745,041 times
Quote:
Sorry but it's very easy to generalize a 300 year old country which is controlled by media & corporations, while still clinging to their forefathers. USA is a very simple society. Turn on the television, and you will see what most Americans are programmed to think and feel. There is a reason topics like politics and religion are avoided in public arenas/work, because for the most part Americans opinions have already been decided by mass media. Instead they spend their waking hours fixated on pop culture and sports. There is a reason why the USA has a 2-party system. Like I said, USA is a very simple and depth-less society.
You're very off about this. The reason that most Americans don't generally discuss political matters is because it has very little relevance to people's lives.

Their careers, familes, friends, home, bills, hobbies, education, vacations, etc., are what people are basically occupied with.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:58 AM

16,038 posts, read 7,070,464 times
Ther are countries where religion, politics, and ever other communal issues are hotly debated but nothing much comes of it because people lack the energy and civic sense to actually do anything about it. Americans generally feel the CAN effect change about the issues they care about and they engage in public life in various capacities, including giving ther time and money.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:02 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,224,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post
OECD Better Life Index

Updated 2013 version

US:

Pick your priorities.
Yes and America still scored at number 3

Old 06-13-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol, I went to school here and me and everyone I know don't think the rest of the world is like that
I know same and me and you live very far from each other in america.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
USA foundation is built on capitalism, immigration and guns. These 3 issues will never change in the country.

Without question the USA is the place to "make money" but to live or raise a family? Short of a third World War where the rest of the globe is war torn, the USA will never rebound. It is in a downward spiral economically and culturally. It is why Europeans stopped immigrating to the USA decades ago.
I know you users are getting annoyed by me which i can really care less but america does have the third best quality of life.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Good economy, good quality of life.
But...but everyone at my school told me america is a third world country and everyone their is fat and owns a gun and eats mcdonalds?

Old 06-13-2013, 01:03 PM

291 posts, read 476,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
So, in your opinion, what nation is the opposite of the United States in these matters? What nation is complex and deep?
No nation is complex and deep.

But other countries are different than the US. The media is different, and the people's reaction to it is different.

-People aren't reminded of homicide and rape and kidnapping every time they turn on the news, or at least they don't obsess over it. They don't own guns, or install home alarms (unless they live in a very dangerous area).

-Advertisements aren't as frequent and obsessed over pricing as they are in the US. In the US, every ad seems to be about cheap insurance or cheap food or cheap drugs. In Europe, there are more ads about the quality of the product, and not just the price.

Hell, Football is basically advertisements with a little bit of game thrown in. The SuperBowl is basically a celebration of advertising. Compare that to soccer in Europe.

-In the US, everything, from religion to climate change is extremely politicized.
If you're an atheist, you're not 'n 'Murican!
Ya worried 'bout Global Warming? Whyncha go to China ya damn Commie!

Old 06-13-2013, 01:06 PM

291 posts, read 476,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
But...but everyone at my school told me america is a third world country and everyone their is fat and owns a gun and eats mcdonalds?
Worker rights are behind every other developed country, 70% of Americans are overweight, per capita gun ownership is the highest in the world, and so is fast food consumption.

So technically, they weren't that far off. Though I don't get why you get so upset over stuff like this. If you're in the minority, good for you. Being American is merely a matter of citizenship.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,527,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
That's what they want to think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World