Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 03:48 PM

27,587 posts, read 28,700,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
You might have heard of immigration laws? Do you really think anyone can just pick up and move to any of those countries? You think those countries want to be flooded with unskilled Americans who want to get free healthcare? Get a clue.
Like I said - to me, having a good, steady income is everything. I consider that to be a minimum requirement for acceptable living. Therefore, I can only recommend to someone to do what it takes to acquire it.

What other choice is there? Becoming homeless or living out in the boonies? I don't know anything about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 06:56 PM

5,494 posts, read 3,938,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Only one trend is necessary, if it permeates the whole national mindset. What IS the US doing, that will yield benefits for the general public decades in the future, instead of for the wealthiest investors in the next quarterly statement? In fact, what is the US doing AT ALL, that is not driven by a prospect for private capital for the already-rich? Got two tends for me?

The willingness to invest capital and labor in realistic advanced enterprise is widespread in China, and only illustrated by the high speed rail example. A few more examples? Americans are building cars only for their domestic market, in factories owned by foreign interests, while China produces more units than we do, in Chinese-owned plants..

Yes, somewhere in China's future there is a peak, but the US has already reached its own peak, and are now on a downside.

Yes, the US per-capita GDP from 2006-2010 is positive, it is rising (by a laughable 0.07%). But so is everybody else, and the USA ranks 146th, right behind Madagascar. We're slipping fast, from '96-2000, we ranked a much better 71st., but an average of 7 countries a year have passed us up since then. And I bet then, too, you were told we had the healthiest economy in the world, and you gullibly swallowed everything the Media and Wall Steet told you.

List of countries by GDP (real) per capita growth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm as cynical as you are about the US' future prospects, but I don't think that this post contains a very strong argument. Look at some of the nations with a negative GDP percapita growth rate in that same period. Italy, UK, DK (Denmark), perennial quality of life-index powerhouse Norway. Do you think list-leading Azerbaijan is going to enjoy a better standard of living than any of those countries anytime in the near future?

Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,474,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I'm as cynical as you are about the US' future prospects, but I don't think that this post contains a very strong argument. Look at some of the nations with a negative GDP percapita growth rate in that same period. Italy, UK, DK (Denmark), perennial quality of life-index powerhouse Norway. Do you think list-leading Azerbaijan is going to enjoy a better standard of living than any of those countries anytime in the near future?
jtur88 seems to be right to me that the era of the United States being what we might call an "empire" are coming to a close. The United States may never again jump by leaps and bounds in amazing development. And maybe that's okay. The rest of the world deserves the chance to launch ahead and grow and grab larger slices of the earth's resources. They deserve improving wages too with lower inflation.

But like you I think he goes too far in thinking the U.S. will therefore turn into a "third world" country. Britain and France no longer rule the planet as empires and they still do well. They still have rich people. They still have poor people too. But neither one is a "third world" nation.

I think the United States can no longer sustain the optimism it once had. And that's alright. The original narrative was largely a lie anyways with some truths in it.

Rather than envy any improvements in the quality of life in places like Azerbaijan I think it would be better to be happy for them. I mean... the people suffered long enough, yes? It's not like they have been living high on the horse for decades.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:08 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,574,676 times
Seems Americans, are our Mexicans.

Americans top list of illegal workers apprehended in Canada : Workplace Wire : Canadian Labour Lawyers : Heenan Blaikie Law Firm

Old 05-28-2013, 12:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,515,860 times
Lol

Stay classy Canucks.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:33 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,515,860 times
Thailand is where its at!!!
Cost Of Living Comparison Between Thailand And United States

Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 PM

331 posts, read 593,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_jacket View Post
If you aren't White, there aren't many better options for you than USA
Canada

Old 05-28-2013, 04:07 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,474,118 times
You realize--and I must grin off of this --if you Canadians started lobbying your government to secure the boarder, you would hear a complaining and cursing from Americans (who probably patrol the US/Mexican boarder with assault rifles) at a pitch, and unlike anything you've ever heard before. They would be highly offended.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:18 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,574,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
You realize--and I must grin off of this --if you Canadians started lobbying your government to secure the boarder, you would hear a complaining and cursing from Americans (who probably patrol the US/Mexican boarder with assault rifles) at a pitch, and unlike anything you've ever heard before. They would be highly offended.
LOL. I may be wrong, but I don't think American's who are illegally here in Canada are crawling across the border. They're coming as visitors most likely and then just stay. (pssst. Canadians do it to in the U.S. )

Old 05-28-2013, 04:55 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,220,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I would suggest a socialized healthcare system like every other first world country has.
Hey...how about you read this, it is unbias info that might inform you a little about america. Hopefully you wont punch your screen when you see how good america is doing compared to the other countries.
http://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-lif...by_country.jsp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World