Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The country with the richest culture is:
Indonesia 5 3.21%
Egypt 14 8.97%
Denmark 2 1.28%
Iran 11 7.05%
Germany 21 13.46%
Vietnam 8 5.13%
Japan 26 16.67%
Morocco 4 2.56%
Australia 1 0.64%
Israel 13 8.33%
Italy 47 30.13%
United Kingdom 41 26.28%
China 42 26.92%
South Korea 6 3.85%
Philippines 2 1.28%
Peru 3 1.92%
United States 47 30.13%
India 32 20.51%
Thailand 10 6.41%
Spain 25 16.03%
Russia 16 10.26%
Greece 18 11.54%
Netherlands 7 4.49%
Ireland 4 2.56%
Mexico 16 10.26%
France 37 23.72%
Argentina 3 1.92%
Iraq 6 3.85%
Poland 3 1.92%
Turkey 10 6.41%
Other country not listed (explain in post) 20 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:09 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Kraftwerk were German.
As were Can and Tangerine Dream
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 07:20 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,840 times
Quote:
Kraftwerk were German.
your point??

Techno is from Detroit, even though it may have been influenced by Kraftwerk, the first techno records were a departure from Kraftwerk, House and Techno were created around the same time, hence Detroit Techno has always used 808/909 4/4 beats like House, Kraftwerk didnt do that. Names like Derrik May, Kevin Saunderson, Juan Atkins, Jeff Bell, Carl Craig, creators of the genre...all Americans, not to mention, Marshall Jefferson, Dj Pierre, Jesse Saunders, Frankie Knuckles (and many others from Chicago) creators of House Music, all Americans.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:43 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,843,389 times
Right when it suits you "it was a departure from" when it doesn't suit you "it stems from" .

Kraftwerk and similar groups led the ground work, Detroit improved it, then the Germans, Dutch and Brits improved it ten fold. It's a journey but it all stems back to Germany.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Right when it suits you "it was a departure from" when it doesn't suit you "it stems from" .

Kraftwerk and similar groups led the ground work, Detroit improved it, then the Germans, Dutch and Brits improved it ten fold. It's a journey but it all stems back to Germany.
wow...you just cant give credit where its due..if you want to think that way then I suppose we can say that all rhythmic music is African.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:02 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
wow...you just cant give credit where its due..if you want to think that way then I suppose we can say that all rhythmic music is African.
In a way I think you are probably correct with this! Especially when you consider that actually all human beings are 'African' in origin.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
In a way I think you are probably correct with this! Especially when you consider that actually all human beings are 'African' in origin.
technically it is true...

Old 06-11-2013, 09:28 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,843,389 times
I am giving credit to Detroit. But for where the music is today you have to credit everyone involved in the evolution of the genre!

Old 06-11-2013, 11:21 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Foreign films, Indie films, Independent restaurants for ethnic cuisine, Independent café bars, Rock n Roll, Electronic/Trance, Foreign/Ethnic music are all superior, and better for the world > compared to hollywood films, fast food chains, hip hop, starbucks, pepsi, coke a cola.
#1. What's wrong with the movie The Hangover? (The first one) Bollywood is the largest film industry in the world. From what I read some years ago, a lot of nations in Africa, Asia, and even Russia which is in part of Europe prefer Bollywood movies to Hollywood movies because the former are more traditional and morally conservative. Russians supposedly consume a lot of Bollywood movies in part because they are seen as "family movies." There movies are more often than Hollywood movies of today, more formulaic in terms of the good guy always winning. And let's not talk about homosexuality and lesbianism in films. Much of the world outside of the West regards Hollywood as debauched in this area. Read up on the response of (mob destruction of property) India's Hindu population when one of it's film makers put out a film where the leading characters were lesbians and framed in a good light.

I think there is just criticism that a lot of Hollywood action films are just heavy on explosions, crashes, carnage, and are very formulaic. In this sense Hollywood puts out a lot of low crafted films. But Hollywood does well in crafting films in other areas. In my opinion at least. I personally like The Hangover and it's the kind of American white guys I could hang out with. Irrespective of what type of music they listen too. And I thought the first one was really funny. The second one not so much. The film might be thought morally debauched in conservative Hindu India but of well. I'm from Milwaukee and not Mumbai.

There are films from Hollywood like Easy A with it's whole theme and the things it promotes that arguably signify the great moral decline in the United States. And many outside the West no longer see the USA as the "greatest nation on earth" but rather the "greatest morally corrupt nation on earth." Putin's Russia actually markets itself globally as a nation repealing the moral debauchery marking Western Europe and the United States. You can read up on that too if you like.

So, to understand the attacks on Hollywood you also have to understand that part of the story too coming from the more conservative of India and Russia.

#2. I'm a product of the Hip Hop culture. I was going to the back of stores along with my friends, taking their cardboard boxes, back when we were small kids in the early 1980s, and taking them into alleys to break dance on. That was when rap music had yet to go mainstream and it was before the birth of gangsta rap. And not all music in Hip Hop was gangsta rap.

Connecting this to the level of city, this issue of culture, or more specifically "high culture," is why cities like Milwaukee try to keep symphonies, ballet companies, stage theater companies et cetera... because these things mark a city as having "culture." It's one of the reasons I say you can pretty much do what you want in Cleveland or Milwaukee as you can in New York or L.A.

But some of that stuff I'm simply not into. I also don't have the ears for differentiating the minute qualities in musical sounds that might make the symphony in New York better than the one in Milwaukee. They all would sound the same to me.

There are some just criticism about the Hip Hop culture. And my generation (Gen X) brought in a wave of gun violence not seen in the U.S. since perhaps the Great Depression era (or Roaring 20s in some areas). But in other ways the Hip Hop culture produced good fruit. I would argue the Hip Hop culture did more to unify different races socially without government legislation than the U.S. Civil Rights Movement did. I don't think Rock N' Roll did the same thing racially comparable.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,913,974 times
Quote:
In the case of Hip-Hop, I think you are either ignorant or you are just projecting your own dislike of the genre, Hip Hop has had a huge impact on the world music scene for years, not all of it is about shooting people and getting bit%hes??????????? . US has also exported House/Techno to the rest of the world, which are more popular in Europe than in the US
Most of Hip hip is wasteful garbage. How many times do I have to say this?? You really don’t know 80% to 90% of hip hop is garbage? Its mostly negative, and destructive for the world. There is too few exceptions in this genre to change my overall view for this nasty genre.

What you said just further proved what I have said for most of hip hop being more of a negative symbol and being culturally poor.

Listen to more Rock n Roll, Electronic/Trance, Foreign/Ethnic and know the superior music genres being good for the world.

Quote:
man this thread HAS potential, but as usual it just descends into cultural boasting/snobbery..the topic is just too subjective..
Ironic you said this sentence after making incredibly false generalizations to the best posting for symbols of being culturally rich.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,913,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
#1. What's wrong with the movie The Hangover? (The first one) Bollywood is the largest film industry in the world. From what I read some years ago, a lot of nations in Africa, Asia, and even Russia which is in part of Europe prefer Bollywood movies to Hollywood movies because the former are more traditional and morally conservative. Russians supposedly consume a lot of Bollywood movies in part because they are seen as "family movies." There movies are more often than Hollywood movies of today, more formulaic in terms of the good guy always winning. Much of the world outside of the West regards Hollywood as debauched in this area.

I think there is just criticism that a lot of Hollywood action films are just heavy on explosions, crashes, carnage, and are very formulaic. In this sense Hollywood puts out a lot of low crafted films. But Hollywood does well in crafting films in other areas. In my opinion at least. I personally like The Hangover and it's the kind of American white guys I could hang out with. Irrespective of what type of music they listen too. And I thought the first one was really funny. The second one not so much. The film might be thought morally debauched in conservative Hindu India but of well. I'm from Milwaukee and not Mumbai.

There are films from Hollywood like Easy A with it's whole theme and the things it promotes that arguably signify the great moral decline in the United States. And many outside the West no longer see the USA as the "greatest nation on earth" but rather the "greatest morally corrupt nation on earth." Putin's Russia actually markets itself globally as a nation repealing the moral debauchery marking Western Europe and the United States. You can read up on that too if you like.

So, to understand the attacks on Hollywood you also have to understand that part of the story too coming from the more conservative of India and Russia.

#2. I'm a product of the Hip Hop culture. I was going to the back of stores along with my friends, taking their cardboard boxes, back when we were small kids in the early 1980s, and taking them into alleys to break dance on. That was when rap music had yet to go mainstream and it was before the birth of gangsta rap. And not all music in Hip Hop was gangsta rap.

Connecting this to the level of city, this issue of culture, or more specifically "high culture," is why cities like Milwaukee try to keep symphonies, ballet companies, stage theater companies et cetera... because these things mark a city as having "culture." It's one of the reasons I say you can pretty much do what you want in Cleveland or Milwaukee as you can in New York or L.A.

But some of that stuff I'm simply not into. I also don't have the ears for differentiating the minute qualities in musical sounds that might make the symphony in New York better than the one in Milwaukee. They all would sound the same to me.

There are some just criticism about the Hip Hop culture. And my generation (Gen X) brought in a wave of gun violence not seen in the U.S. since perhaps the Great Depression era (or Roaring 20s in some areas). But in other ways the Hip Hop culture produced good fruit. I would argue the Hip Hop culture did more to unify different races socially without government legislation than the U.S. Civil Rights Movement did. I don't think Rock N' Roll did the same thing racially comparable.
1. You agree with most of what I said, even with these few exceptions..

Yes, Bollywood, and most of Independent and Foreign films is better for the world in modern times, more interesting, less corrupted, more valuable, and is popular for the world too compared to hollywood films. However, most of these films are progressive/liberal too, so why do you view them as being conservative?

Morality is easily able to go well with Progressive/Liberal mindset and be morally good. Conservative mindset could go with deception in morality, and even be morally satanic, and deprived. There shouldn’t be too many generalizations and stereotypes for Progressive/Liberal vs. Conservative.

2. I have a mostly objective negative view of hip hop. Too much of it is very negative for society and promotes corruption with only few exceptions. No, it’s the opposite. Hip hop probably caused more racial division and negative stereotyping. I really wouldn’t associate race too much with a music genre.

Are you saying black people are not allowed to listen to Rock n’Roll, Electronic/Trance, or Ethnic/Foreign?

Most black people should listen to Rock n’Roll, Electronic/Trance, and Ethnic/Foreign music and never be paranoid about a very false racial expectation double standard. If I was black, I would continue listening to those music genres and having similar opinions. I want to see more musicians being black in those music genres. Why does it appear Jimi Hendrix and Bloc Party are the only exceptions?

3. There is a vast, intricate amount of variation for symbols of being culturally wealthy and is mostly related to: Celebrations, Tradition, Festivals, Unique Culture, Lifestyle, People Scene, Education, Literature, Philosophy, Food Scene, Architecture, Music Scene, Dance, Museums, Art Scene, Theater, Languages, Variation of Culture, Independent Cafe Bar Scene, Home Decorating Design Items, Spirituality.

People should follow most forms of cultural wealth, but they don't need to follow every version of cultural wealth. They are free to decide the versions of cultural wealth being most important and best for them.

I view all of these countries being very culturally wealthy: Thailand, India, Singapore, Taiwan, China, Vietnam, France, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Italy, Spain, Argentina

UK, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Japan, USA, South Korea

Indonesia, Philippines, Turkey, Morocco, Cambodia, Malaysia, Fiji, Bhutan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World