Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Country has the most fame in celebrities, movies, music?
UK 18 14.63%
America 92 74.80%
Australia 5 4.07%
Canada 8 6.50%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Exactly. I think this is why Hollywood was chosen originally, as a base for the film industry. Palm trees and ocean make for great backdrops. And NM threw its hat into the ring because it has all that unusual Southwest scenery immortalized in the old Westerns: dramatic canyons and mesas, desert, dusty little towns that time forgot, etc.
Yes and certain cities are picked for their distinctive backdrops. New York, San Francisco, Seattle and Los Angeles can be recognized anywhere.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:18 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
MJ had a lot of psychological problems. I know all the MJ diehard fans are going to come with their pitchforks, torches, and lynch ropes now. But life is life.

My former Africology professor originally from Haiti said... regarding MJ, "Only in the United States can a black boy grow up to be a beautiful white woman" And so it is. LOL.

But MJ was a top tier entertainer, whatever his personal demons and personal quirks, few on earth have matched or will match his level of entertaining. His dance skills even at his age were awesome.
That was a nasty thing your professor said

I don't even think he was overly talented, even his famous moonwalk was invented by someone else decades earlier. Nor did he play an instrument. His voice was not exceptional, either. Without Quincy Jones in the background he never would have become the star he became.
I think Stevie Wonder for instance is way more talented, but not only is he blind, he never was handsome, either, which is quite important in view of all the groupies

Old 06-26-2013, 12:21 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That was a nasty thing your professor said

I don't even think he was overly talented, even his famous moonwalk was invented by someone else decades earlier. Nor did he play an instrument. His voice was not exceptional, either. Without Quincy Jones in the background he never would have become the star he became.
I think Stevie Wonder for instance is way more talented, but not only is he blind, he never was handsome, either, which is quite important in view of all the groupies
Behind every music star is a great producer

Old 06-26-2013, 12:24 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Behind every music star is a great producer
I already mentioned an exception

Old 06-26-2013, 12:32 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,248,294 times
Movie production in the US actually started in New York City but patents owned by Thomas Edison for equipment forced filmmakers to spread across the States. Most of them settled in California which became the most popular due to the consistent weather.

As to America having "all the fame, celebrities, billionaires and movies" - well it doesn't really but the fact it didn't get bombed to hell in ww2 might have something to do with the rise of low-brow American culture around the world.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd be curious to know what kind of federal funding is available for French-language productions is available in Canada that is not also available for English-language productions. If there is any culture in Canada that is propped up out of proportion to buy-in and interest from the population, it's the English Canadian one as opposed to the French Canadian one.
This is outside of Canada Council grants...

More Federal Government Arts Funding: Is this a good news story? « Theatre Passe Muraille

In the 2011/2012, Canada Council granted Ontario with a population ( according to Canada Council's site )
12.8 million a total of $51.2 million. Quebec, with a population of 7.9 million got $52 million. With 3.9 million more people Ontario got $800,000 less.

As for B.C. with half the population of Quebec we got 13.7 percent of the total Canada Council Grants budget. Quebec got 32.5 percent.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:23 PM

168 posts, read 251,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
As to America having "all the fame, celebrities, billionaires and movies" - well it doesn't really but the fact it didn't get bombed to hell in ww2 might have something to do with the rise of low-brow American culture around the world.
No one is forcing people around the world to accept our "low-brow" culture. People are consuming it by their own volition. And if you look around Europe today it doesn't look all that bad for being "bombed to hell," you also have to remember where the money for rebuilding came from.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:36 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
The major film studios
Columbia Pictures , Warner Bros. , Walt Disney Pictures , Universal Studios , 20th Century Fox, Paramount Pictures , Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.

All from the United States.

They created the most successful movies in the world such as
Gone with the Wind , Star Wars , Titanic and Avatar.

Most iconic actors
John Wayne , Marilyn Monroe , Charles Chaplin , Humphrey Bogart , Marlon Brando , Robert De Niro , Al Pacino , Johnny Depp , Leonardo Dicaprio.
all American.

Many great artist come from the United Kingdom, such as The Beatles , Led Zeppelin , Elton John , Pink Floyd.
United States' greatest would be Elvis , Michael Jackson , Madonna and Mariah Carey

Old 06-26-2013, 04:48 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,505,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The major film studios
Columbia Pictures , Warner Bros. , Walt Disney Pictures , Universal Studios , 20th Century Fox, Paramount Pictures , Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.

All from the United States.

They created the most successful movies in the world such as
Gone with the Wind , Star Wars , Titanic and Avatar.

Most iconic actors
John Wayne , Marilyn Monroe , Charles Chaplin , Humphrey Bogart , Marlon Brando , Robert De Niro , Al Pacino , Johnny Depp , Leonardo Dicaprio.
all American.

Many great artist come from the United Kingdom, such as The Beatles , Led Zeppelin , Elton John , Pink Floyd.
United States' greatest would be Elvis , Michael Jackson , Madonna and Mariah Carey
Charlie Chaplin was English.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:53 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Charlie Chaplin was English.
Alright, we'll replace him with Clint Eastwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World