Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Country has the most fame in celebrities, movies, music?
UK 18 14.63%
America 92 74.80%
Australia 5 4.07%
Canada 8 6.50%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 AM

228 posts, read 367,722 times

Advertisements

I don't like English-speaking movies/music, especially American ones blech

Old 06-27-2013, 12:27 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofi32 View Post
I don't like English-speaking movies/music, especially American ones blech
To dismiss a whole category of movies and music because of the language sounds very limiting.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:52 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
To dismiss a whole category of movies and music because of the language sounds very limiting.
I'd give them the benefit of the doubt on that one. Many people just don't like the way certain languages sound especially Germanic languages. I've been told by many French and Spanish speaking people that English sounds very harsh to their ears. Try turning down a radio or TV where you can just hear the sounds of the languages but not really the words. English then sounds almost barbaric.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'd give them the benefit of the doubt on that one. Many people just don't like the way certain languages sound especially Germanic languages. I've been told by many French and Spanish speaking people that English sounds very harsh to their ears. Try turning down a radio or TV where you can just hear the sounds of the languages but not really the words. English then sounds almost barbaric.
True to an extent. I myself can't stand an Aussie accent, but have enjoyed many Australian films. The German language ( most dialects ) sounds harsh to my ears, but German movies are worth watching.
It's also not like the poster doesn't speak english, so it's odd they would dismiss music and movies in a language they can understand.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:17 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
True to an extent. I myself can't stand an Aussie accent, but have enjoyed many Australian films. The German language ( most dialects ) sounds harsh to my ears, but German movies are worth watching.
It's also not like the poster doesn't speak english, so it's odd they would dismiss music and movies in a language they can understand.
Yeah I kind of missed that point didn't I?

Old 06-27-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Yeah I kind of missed that point didn't I?
Trust me, we all do from time to time.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:33 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Perhaps, or perhaps not. We may never really know the reasoning behind the acceptance and distribution of funds.
My point was though, to put a different perspective on your comment

"I'd be curious to know what kind of federal funding is available for French-language productions is available in Canada that is not also available for English-language productions. If there is any culture in Canada that is propped up out of proportion to buy-in and interest from the population, it's the English Canadian one as opposed to the French Canadian one."

Since Quebec according to Canada Councils site Quebec with 23 percent of the population gets 32.5 percent of the funding.

"in total, Quebec artists and arts organizations received 32.5% of Canada Council funding. In comparison, the province makes up 21.5% of Canadian artists,3 and 23.6% of the Canadian population. 4
 In 2011-12, 201 Quebec artists and arts professionals served as peer assessors, of which 82.6% were Francophone, and 17.4% were Anglophone."
Quebec is not just francophone, and the rest of Canada is not just anglophone. So it's incorrect to label subsidies to Quebec as all supporting French, and all of those in the rest of Canada as all supporting English.

Plus, judging from what you quoted above, looks like with that 17.4% that the anglo community in Quebec is overrpresented by about double its share of the population.

Bottom line is that it is hard to look at numbers like this and draw conclusions, as there is often more to the story than just percentages.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quebec is not just francophone, and the rest of Canada is not just anglophone. So it's incorrect to label subsidies to Quebec as all supporting French, and all of those in the rest of Canada as all supporting English.

Plus, judging from what you quoted above, looks like with that 17.4% that the anglo community in Quebec is overrpresented by about double its share of the population.

Bottom line is that it is hard to look at numbers like this and draw conclusions, as there is often more to the story than just percentages.
Yes of course ROC and Quebec are not all english or french speaking, but let's back up a bit. Certainly numbers can be played with and interpreted differently, but these are basic percentages of funding so pretty easy to understand.
The point of my post was to point out that the statement

" If there is any culture in Canada that is propped up out of proportion to buy-in and interest from the population, it's the English Canadian one as opposed to the French Canadian one."

isn't quite true. It's more equitable than that, but definitely not out of proportion on the English side across Canada.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:32 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Yes of course ROC and Quebec are not all english or french speaking, but let's back up a bit. Certainly numbers can be played with and interpreted differently, but these are basic percentages of funding so pretty easy to understand.
The point of my post was to point out that the statement

" If there is any culture in Canada that is propped up out of proportion to buy-in and interest from the population, it's the English Canadian one as opposed to the French Canadian one."

isn't quite true. It's more equitable than that, but definitely not out of proportion on the English side across Canada.
Depends. An argument could be made that every dollar spent on culture in French-speaking Canada supports books that have a better chance of being read by more people, plays that will be better attended, movies and TV programs that people will actually watch, music that a higher percentage of the target market will actually buy and listen to.

If you look at a corporation like Telefilm Canada, they have sometimes been blunt about funding French-language productions out of proportion to population share, and stated that, well, they try to fund productons that Canadians will actually watch and make at least some money at the box office, and it so happens that a larger proportion (relative to population anyway) of these happen to be in French.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:06 PM

326 posts, read 471,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm talking about right now not 1970.
Today if I turned on the TV in the UK how many American shows will I see?
you can turn on the TV in the uk and see indian shows.. its whether anyone ACTUALLY watches them. there are a fair share of american shows but you probably get as many american shows in britain as you would british shows in the US.. most of britain watch BBC channels, ITV channels, E4 and Channel 4.. which are viewed by 60% of the population.. you'd struggle to find any american shows on them unless its family guy, or my name is earl.. at like 11pm at night.. you have channels like sky (which show the simpsons, the middle), disney channel and Nickelodeon.. all of which are watched by less than 0.5% of the population.. if any american channel had that kind of viewership in america, they'd be bust and finished by now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televi...iewed_channels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World