Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Country has the most fame in celebrities, movies, music?
UK 18 14.63%
America 92 74.80%
Australia 5 4.07%
Canada 8 6.50%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atai J. View Post
Or from Mexico... Veronica Castro

I just answered the question.
It seems the USA has all the famous actors, actress etc. Just because the Hollywood made them famous all around the world, they are the stars/superstars not only because they have a talent. Other countries have their good actors/actress, but they not so well-known, because they have not their own Hollywood (except India).
Never heard of her, we never get to see anything from Mexico here, only from Brazil.

Adriana Esteves for instance plays the villain in Avenida Brasil so well it is almost scary, you can almost feel the hate and evil. If watching a soap could kill...

Old 06-27-2013, 07:07 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
How many people in the developed world watch Indian movies and listen to Indian music?
The biggest star in Bollywood is Shah Rukh Khan. He is lesser known in USA yet he is better known in Europe, especially in Germany.

Khan is now the most sought after Bollywood star in Germany.

He achieved instant stardom in Germany, especially with female admirers of Bollywood films.

Khan seems to be equally popular in other parts of Europe too.

In addition when he attended the Moroccan film festival he was mobbed by thousands of fans.

BBC News - Bollywood star 'King Khan's' global appeal

MUMBAI: Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan tops the first Forbes India Celebrity 100 with annual estimated earnings last year of $37.7 million, the magazine said on Friday.
In the list — a ranking of the country's biggest entertainers based on income and popularity — fellow actor Salman Khan came in second with estimated earnings of $30 million.
In third place was India's cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni with $25 million.

“But 'King Khan' came out tops courtesy of his earning power, mainly riding on massive income from brand endorsements,” the magazine said, referring to Shah Rukh Khan.
Shah Rukh Khan tops Forbes India celebrity list - DAWN.COM

So the top celebrities in India annual income is not much different from the top celebrities in places such as the USA.

Getting back to the OP. The OP only choose a poll that was only by Anglosphere countries. That is unfair as Germany has more celebrities and produces more movies than Australia. Plus where is Japan? Where is South Korea? Where is Russia? Where is China?,etc

Last edited by other99; 06-27-2013 at 07:23 AM..

Old 06-27-2013, 09:45 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
The biggest star in Bollywood is Shah Rukh Khan. He is lesser known in USA yet he is better known in Europe, especially in Germany.

Khan is now the most sought after Bollywood star in Germany.

He achieved instant stardom in Germany, especially with female admirers of Bollywood films.

Khan seems to be equally popular in other parts of Europe too.

In addition when he attended the Moroccan film festival he was mobbed by thousands of fans.

BBC News - Bollywood star 'King Khan's' global appeal

MUMBAI: Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan tops the first Forbes India Celebrity 100 with annual estimated earnings last year of $37.7 million, the magazine said on Friday.
In the list — a ranking of the country's biggest entertainers based on income and popularity — fellow actor Salman Khan came in second with estimated earnings of $30 million.
In third place was India's cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni with $25 million.

“But 'King Khan' came out tops courtesy of his earning power, mainly riding on massive income from brand endorsements,” the magazine said, referring to Shah Rukh Khan.
Shah Rukh Khan tops Forbes India celebrity list - DAWN.COM

So the top celebrities in India annual income is not much different from the top celebrities in places such as the USA.

Getting back to the OP. The OP only choose a poll that was only by Anglosphere countries. That is unfair as Germany has more celebrities and produces more movies than Australia. Plus where is Japan? Where is South Korea? Where is Russia? Where is China?,etc
Because i felt like it.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:48 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times
Hollywood is more towards Americans, Europeans, australians, and a little of south america
K-pop which is korean is mostly only for koreans
Bollywood is for India, parts of southeast asia and middle east.
Nollywood(Nigeria) is for ALL OF AFRICA.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:23 AM

326 posts, read 471,250 times
Quote:
List of most watched television broadcasts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

only 1 american show (dallas) in the top 25 most watched tv shows in the UK

only 1 american movie (jaws) in the top 5 most watched films in the UK

only 1 american special (JFK assassination) in the top 10 most watched special events in the UK

yeh, you're not as popular as you think you are around the world... not even in other english speaking countries.

despite having a show biz industry ten folds bigger than the UK.. its not dominating the UK, ten folds.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:40 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You are right that more Quebec applications get accepted - could it be that Quebec artists are more savvy at putting together their applications? The Canada Council is based in Ottawa, not Quebec. A majority of people who work there and run the place are not from Quebec.

Quebec has reputation for things cultural as you know - this could simply be a reflection of this.
Perhaps, or perhaps not. We may never really know the reasoning behind the acceptance and distribution of funds.
My point was though, to put a different perspective on your comment

"I'd be curious to know what kind of federal funding is available for French-language productions is available in Canada that is not also available for English-language productions. If there is any culture in Canada that is propped up out of proportion to buy-in and interest from the population, it's the English Canadian one as opposed to the French Canadian one."

Since Quebec according to Canada Councils site Quebec with 23 percent of the population gets 32.5 percent of the funding.

"in total, Quebec artists and arts organizations received 32.5% of Canada Council funding. In comparison, the province makes up 21.5% of Canadian artists,3 and 23.6% of the Canadian population. 4
 In 2011-12, 201 Quebec artists and arts professionals served as peer assessors, of which 82.6% were Francophone, and 17.4% were Anglophone."

Old 06-27-2013, 10:47 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry12 View Post
List of most watched television broadcasts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

only 1 american show (dallas) in the top 25 most watched tv shows in the UK

only 1 american movie (jaws) in the top 5 most watched films in the UK

only 1 american special (JFK assassination) in the top 10 most watched special events in the UK

yeh, you're not as popular as you think you are around the world... not even in other english speaking countries.

despite having a show biz industry ten folds bigger than the UK.. its not dominating the UK, ten folds.
I'm talking about right now not 1970.
Today if I turned on the TV in the UK how many American shows will I see?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Why the disrespect?

Compared to Hollywood?
Disrespect to the remark, not the country. For anyone to brag that their country is the best in the world is basically giving the finger to the rest of the world.
I NEVER say Canada is the best. I always say " for me, Canada is the best ", being totally aware that my prejudice for Canada has been moulded by me growing up here.
This is showing respect to other's who live in other countries.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:09 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Disrespect to the remark, not the country. For anyone to brag that their country is the best in the world is basically giving the finger to the rest of the world.
I NEVER say Canada is the best. I always say " for me, Canada is the best ", being totally aware that my prejudice for Canada has been moulded by me growing up here.
This is showing respect to other's who live in other countries.
I thought she she said that sarcastically.
No one here said USA is the best country in the world except for P London

Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
The short answer is that America, for a long time, is the only country that has consistently had a flow of wealth that could be diverted to the entertainment industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World