Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 01:48 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Maybe Florida in general, but I don't think Miami in particular gets that much attention, at least in the Northeast. And places like LA and Florida are far away, people don't think or know much about them here. Part of the reason for the parochialism of New York is the size of the country, it's hard to know much about other ends of the country unless you have family or friends there. There was a thread on the NYC forum that went like this...

Q: What do New Yorkers think of LA?
A: [most common response] We don't.
To be fair, I think every place is parochial to a certain degree, at least, sizable cities. If you asked people in Leeds what they think of London, they'd probably tell you they don't care or don't think about the place much, if at all. I think people tend to be more interested or concerned about what is happening in their own back yard, and often don't think about other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 08:47 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Oh yeah I was going to say that, the Italian, Irish and Jewish culture seems very much to define the New York persona, which can also be seen in Philly, Boston, and to a lesser extent, Buffalo, Providence, Cleveland etc. Nowadays Hispanics and Blacks very much define the cultural zeitgeist of NYC.
The Italian, Irish and Jewish cultures that supposedly "define NY persona" are nowhere near what the real cultures are in their home countries. Ever encounter your typical Irish-Italian NYer in Staten Island or Breezy Point? Do they seem remotely close to a Milanese or a Dubliner? And Nino's Pizza and meatball spaghetti isn't quite near what you'd find in a Florentine trattoria.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:08 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times
A day in the life of a typical NYCer:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/ny...yregionspecial

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/ny...iestcases&_r=0

Sugar daddies, low-income NYC schoolteachers connect on Seekingarrangement.com - NY Daily News

The truth is majority of residents in the so-called "global city" are struggling to make ends meet.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:45 AM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think people tend to be more interested or concerned about what is happening in their own back yard, and often don't think about other places.
Yup, that's very true in my experience - even in a smaller area. Where I live, people in this part of Maryland are only concerned about what's happening here in Maryland most of the time, and only sometimes what's happening in Washington, D.C. or on the other side of the Potomac in Virginia (even though they're only some miles away).

People rarely even talk about other cities, except in the passing or when there's a football game happening. lol. That's how it is everywhere.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:55 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The Italian, Irish and Jewish cultures that supposedly "define NY persona" are nowhere near what the real cultures are in their home countries. Ever encounter your typical Irish-Italian NYer in Staten Island or Breezy Point? Do they seem remotely close to a Milanese or a Dubliner? And Nino's Pizza and meatball spaghetti isn't quite near what you'd find in a Florentine trattoria.
Yes of course, I'm aware of that, I suppose I mean the Americanised Italian/Irish/Jewish culture, which still seems quite distinct from 'Middle America.'

Old 11-30-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Whether they admit it or not, LA is such a huge cultural influence NYers can't help but be aware of LA and California. From the rivalry in the 60s, to the hip hop rivalry, till today...plus the economic connection between the two, thousands flying between LA and NY today. LA has the largest Jewish population west of the Mississippi, many former New Yorkers. Many film stars trained in NY then went to Hollywood. In some ways they're the most connected parts of the US to NY.
There is some of that, but it's an exaggeration to say that New York City and Los Angeles are the most connected cities.

New York City is more immediately connected to Philadelphia, Washington, D.C. and Boston than it is to Los Angeles. The East Coast has the highest concentration of population and economic development in the U.S., and most of it is actually outside of the New York City metro area.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is some of that, but it's an exaggeration to say that New York City and Los Angeles are the most connected cities.

New York City is more immediately connected to Philadelphia, Washington, D.C. and Boston than it is to Los Angeles. Most of the East Coast's population/economy is actually outside of the New York City metro area.
That's why I said 'in some ways.' The media - film, TV and arts like music, literature, tourism, migration.etc.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:42 AM

28 posts, read 65,282 times
Pretty much. I think it does seem like its own universe.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
That's why I said 'in some ways.' The media - film, TV and arts like music, literature, tourism, migration.etc.
Sure, New York City and Los Angeles are the 2 biggest cultural capitals of the U.S.

But I wanted you to realize that no other region in the U.S. is as connected or as densely populated as the east coast. Not even close really.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Sure, New York City and Los Angeles are the 2 biggest cultural capitals of the U.S.

But I wanted you to realize that no other region in the U.S. is as connected or as densely populated as the east coast. Not even close really.
Yes I know, I've been from LA to Boston, through the Bos-Wash corridor.etc. I've been to several major cities in the US and 14 countries, so I have something to compare to when I talk about NY's big city uniqueness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World