Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more beautiful: Sydney or San Francisco?
Sydney 42 43.30%
San Francisco 47 48.45%
Can't decide 8 8.25%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 12:50 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Been to SF, but not Sydney. Based on climate alone Sydney wins hands down. SF is way too cool in the summer, and the ocean way too cold. Sydney has a much better climate and beach scene.
I don't like Sydney's climate at all--way too hot compared to the Bay Area which is actually perfect. Sunny and a breezy 70 is the summer average around the Bay.

Sydney wins as far as beaches tho, because they aren't as foggy as here but thank God we get fog overnight that usually clears up by noon because that's SF's natural air conditioning.

I fly a lot and summer is so hellacious away from the immediate west coast but when I come home to SFO or OAK and step out of the airport terminal on to the curbside, the cool air is such a welcome relief.

There's nothing like that anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 01:37 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times
I've been to Sydney,and it was fantastic.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:43 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I don't like Sydney's climate at all--way too hot compared to the Bay Area which is actually perfect. Sunny and a breezy 70 is the summer average around the Bay.

Sydney wins as far as beaches tho, because they aren't as foggy as here but thank God we get fog overnight that usually clears up by noon because that's SF's natural air conditioning.

I fly a lot and summer is so hellacious away from the immediate west coast but when I come home to SFO or OAK and step out of the airport terminal on to the curbside, the cool air is such a welcome relief.

There's nothing like that anywhere.
Way too hot? Sydney is 19-26C in January, I'd hardly call that that hot. NYC is 21-30C for comparison.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:53 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Way too hot? Sydney is 19-26C in January, I'd hardly call that that hot. NYC is 21-30C for comparison.
New York is a muggy sauna in Summer-awful and Sydney is also quite hot for someone accustomed to our weather here, which is extremely comfortable by comparison.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:37 AM

277 posts, read 401,574 times
New York is an odious, barely inhabitable hellhole in Summer but Sydney is lovely around that time. San Francisco is not hot enough for my tastes.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:06 PM

9 posts, read 19,573 times
Sydney is a better city (more jobs better amenities bigger population) and beats the hell out of anywhere in the USA in terms of natural beauty but SF itself is amazing architecturally and is fun to walk around.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:09 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukmatt1127 View Post
Sydney is a better city (more jobs better amenities bigger population) and beats the hell out of anywhere in the USA in terms of natural beauty but SF itself is amazing architecturally and is fun to walk around.
Bigger population - more jobs and better amenities? San Francisco city proper anchors a more largely and more densely populated region than Sydney. S.F also anchors a region with more economic clout.

San Francisco Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sydney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for beauty... S.F just does it more for me though Sydney is certainly no slouch when it comes to beauty.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:54 AM

284 posts, read 331,243 times
Well to be fair the population figure for Sydney in the wiki article includes only the Sydney metro area so perhaps it might be more comparable with San Francisco's 'metro' figure of ~4.5 mill? The Bay area is an enormous region and in Sydney's terms it would be more like combining the metro area + Newcastle/Lower hunter, Illawarra etc. which are linked and populated areas immediately adjacent to the Sydney metro area. Altogether I believe it makes a population count just shy of 6 million so yes, still not as large as the Bay area.

Economically both would have their strengths over the other, however Sydney has the benefit from being the primate city to an entire region on the planet so regardless of population etc, that'll obviously be felt in the city. San Francisco's a tech giant though so not saying there is a superior city in this comparison, just different strengths perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
Sydney's coast obviously has the better beaches for swimming, but San Francisco's rugged coast is more beautiful to me.
Actually while the beaches naturally get the most attention a lot of Sydney's coastline is quite rugged as well. It's also hilly but maybe not as much as San Francisco.

From my favourite lookout - the ocean, cliffs and waves on one side and the harbour and city in the distance on the other. It's situated on a peninsula and in person the neighbourhood below looks a bit like a quaint coastal town maybe somewhere in New Zealand imo.

Panoramio image:

Panoramio - Photo explorer

Where the coastline is lower and apart from the beaches, waves, rockpools, bizarre rock formations and crystal clear water characterise it, and people certainly embrace it:

I was contemplating whether or not to post this one (because of the guy who keeps raving ), it's one of the first videos to pop up on a quick youtube search but the detail it goes into is pretty hard to beat. Anyways I suppose there's always the mute button...

Bush trails like this are scattered all around the harbour, as well as the various national parks around Sydney.

Bondi and Manly beaches:

Note that there's dozens of other beaches dotted along the coastline.

View from the downtown area:

Link: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2919/...af0ed3bf_o.jpg

Link: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3712/...62ec611f_o.jpg

Link: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2939/...4248f402_h.jpg

and

Link: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5272/...ce4be0c5_b.jpg

Link: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5036/...f6185747_b.jpg

From street view:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3800/...b939a65b_h.jpg

A couple more:

(Aspect ratio isn't quite right I know lol)

And a street view of the view from the bridge:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33....e1KwA0xnGw!2e0

Landing into the city:

And finally:

Link: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3691/...688327a1_h.jpg

I guess one of Sydney's (and San Francisco's) biggest strengths is how they blend nature with urbanity so seamlessly. You can be at the pulse of a bustling city and at the same time be only a short 10 minute trip away from largely untouched 'wilderness'. Based on what I've seen same could apply for San Francisco as well.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-02-2014 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: Reversed

Old 05-31-2014, 08:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
New York is a muggy sauna in Summer-awful and Sydney is also quite hot for someone accustomed to our weather here, which is extremely comfortable by comparison.
Sydney's summers much better IMO. I've worn a jacket midday in San Francisco midsummer, I'd like some warmth. Actually Sydney's climate looks near perfect to me.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
I'd go with San Francisco if only because it's hillier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World