Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 04:03 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I personally think the United States puts a very high importance on being polite. People who are not polite are often looked down upon greatly and do not fit in well. Impolite behavior is rarely tolerated, and oftentimes if a person is seen being impolite to someone, others will chime in and tell them to stop.
Maybe with the exception of New Yorkers? The level of rudeness was shocking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 04:16 AM

9 posts, read 29,731 times
Australia and to a lesser extent US, where politeness in spoken english language are not as important as in the UK and Canada. Non-native speakers of English usually speak english quite politely. Australians are well known for being not polite in both language and manners even in the presence of foreigners. Other countries' nationals generally try to behave more formal and polite in the presence of foreigners.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:20 AM

Japanese are not as polite as most non-Japanese think. Japanese treat foreigners and their own people very differently.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:23 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastAsianladyyy View Post
Australia and to a lesser extent US, where politeness in spoken english language are not as important as in the UK and Canada. Non-native speakers of English usually speak english quite politely. Australians are well known for being not polite in both language and manners even in the presence of foreigners. Other countries' nationals generally try to behave more formal and polite in the presence of foreigners.
It's true that Aussies don't generally equate formality with "politeness". In fact, being formal and impersonal in some situations would be perceived as rude, and potentially passive-aggressive behaviour. Every culture sees "polite" through a different lens.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:34 AM

Most europeans, north americans and japanese find both Australians and the Chinese in China rude in some ways, but differently.

Australians do not become more formal or polite in their language even if they know you are from the UK or the US.
Chinese in China do become more formal or polite when they meet a foreigner. In fact, they feel uneasy the most.
People in China are so used to spitting, jumping queues and speaking loudly.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:40 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,949 times
Quote:
Most europeans, north americans and japanese find both Australians and the Chinese in China rude in some ways, but differently.
I think I'll listen to the Europeans and North Americans I know here in Aus on that one. Don't know any Japanese though; there aren't that many here.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:12 AM

296 posts, read 469,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I realised it could sound like that. I'm actually male, btw, and am cynical most 'chivalry' when it comes to dating is either the flip-side of chauvinism, or just a way to woo a woman into bed. I just think the idea of opening doors for women specifically in this day and age is stupid.
I know exactly well you're male. Politically liberal men are among the few that actually buy into the awkward rhetoric that this might be considered offensive or inappropriate "in this day and age".

Old 03-07-2014, 06:13 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Really! America?

They use curse words on talk shows.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:14 AM

In england. The rich people can be quite pumpous and get offended at every opportunity. Particularly the educated woman.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
To think that Aussies don't have a sense of etiquette is huge mistake. But its very different to the British, or even Canadian, sense of reserved politeness. In short, Aussies like to have a sense of who they're interacting with, so "hiding behind" a reserved and polite facade is generally viewed as negatively as expressing your opinions or views in an overbearing or aggressive manner.

Similarly, they generally like to think that people will tell them what they need to hear; the "say it to me, not about me" perspective. So the ability to be direct, to the point, and not sugar coat things is generally viewed as a positive.

Generally, I find Kiwis to be more "British" in that regard, but others may see it differently.
I like that. I hate false people. Although nothing wrong with people nice just not overly nice.

There are some teachers and students in my school who are so fake nice. You look at their twitter and its fill of rants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World