Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:12 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,528,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Becase there is this absurd principle which states that someone with Italian grandparents without living in Italy, without speaking Italian or working in Italy can have the citizenship.
To the same extent, I do not consider "Italian" all "Italian-Americans" whose only Italian thing is their surname.
In Latin America there is a huge complex of inferiority towards Europe, and this a reason for many latin americans with some European ancestry prefer to link themselves to a country in Europe than to their own latin american countries. But I'm surprised it happens also in USA.

For instance: I have italian ancestry (and I'm proud of it), I have a venetian surname, I do speak some italian, but I refuse to consider myself anything but brazilian. Otherwise I would be unrespectful towards my portuguese and indigenous ancestry by the side of my father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,063 times
I am Latino/Hispanic. My mom is from Mexico and my dad was born in the US but his parents are from Spain. I find this statement to be sometimes true. I personally rarely mention my Spanish heritage but I have to sometimes because a lot of people say I don't look Mexican. I have been told many times I look Middle Eastern. Even Iranians have thought I was one of them. By the way, my Spanish aunts are super racist. They ignore me and my oldest sister, but wanted to adopt my other sister who looks white.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:17 AM

24 posts, read 30,492 times
In south america, being white is a blessing, they all have the social power, money, status. They are all admired and put on a pedestal by the natives and non white crowd, this is why many hispanics wants so desperately to be considered white. This is why many latina women feel attracted to white american men and want to have kids with them, because they will usually come out white looking, thus "improving the race". This also explains why there is so much racism in latino america against indians and black looking people, since they are the opposite of white.

Notice how all telenovelas soap opera actors are white looking and the maids are always black or indian lol this is no coincidence

Ironically, here in the US, is the opposite, is not really cool to be white and many white looking hispanic who were born in the US, would claim anything else, before saying they are white.

The reason why most mexicans you see in the US are short, brown, indian looking, is because they are at bottom of the social and economic ladder in Mexico. You will rarely see white looking mexicans, because they are kings/gods, in mexico, they have no reason to come here to be just another peasant and start from zero, why would they come here and when they are gods over there and have social benefits that they would never have anywhere else, even if they were from low to middle class, the fact that they are white, give them so many advantages in mexico, that it would be STUPID to move anywhere else

Last edited by my95tsi; 02-18-2017 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-18-2017, 05:18 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,435,681 times
What do you mean by going out of our way?

I'm brazilian and portuguese. I also have italian, german and swiss roots.

How am I "going out" of "my way"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by my95tsi View Post
In south america, being white is a blessing, they all have the social power, money, status. They are all admired and put on a pedestal by the natives and non white crowd, this is why many hispanics wants so desperately to be considered white. This is why many latina women feel attracted to white american men and want to have kids with them, because they will usually come out white looking, thus "improving the race". This also explains why there is so much racism in latino america against indians and black looking people, since they are the opposite of white.
This seems to be a strong religious belief here on City-Data. But as many religious beliefs, it's fake.

Last edited by Mr.Falcon; 02-18-2017 at 06:30 PM..

Old 02-18-2017, 05:25 PM

881 posts, read 924,312 times
Quote:

Notice how all telenovelas soap opera actors are white looking and the maids are always black or indian lol this is no coincidence

Ironically, here in the US, is the opposite, is not really cool to be white and many white looking hispanic who were born in the US, would claim anything else, before saying they are white.

The reason why most mexicans you see in the US are short, brown, indian looking, is because they are at bottom of the social and economic ladder in Mexico. You will rarely see white looking mexicans, because they are kings/gods, in mexico, they have no reason to come here to be just another peasant and start from zero, why would they come here and when they are gods over there and have social benefits that they would never have anywhere else, even if they were from low to middle class, the fact that they are white, give them so many advantages in mexico, that it would be STUPID to move anywhere else
your post drips resentment.

and how one gets to be considered white?

Old 02-18-2017, 08:09 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,860 times
Quote:

I always see these types of comments, but they are such BS. I can count at least 20 White Mexican-Americans (blonde, blue eyed, red headed, green eyed) off the top of my head that have been in my life. I have them in my family, work with them, am friends with them, have dated them.

You people who make these comments REALLY need to travel around more and get with the times.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:56 AM

881 posts, read 924,312 times
Most Mexicans in the US look Native because most Mexicans are mainly Native, but there are a lot of Mestizo Mexicans, both in Mexico and in the US. I think all ethnic groups of Mexico are well represented in the US immigrant community.

I don't know how it's like in Mexico because I don't watch soap operas, but in Colombia, several of the most succesful soap operas from the past years have "brown" main characters:

Old 02-19-2017, 12:39 PM

127 posts, read 123,846 times
No one cares. I am from Latin America and no one really thinks about Europe.

People in Latin American countries like everyone else live locally.... that means they care about their acquaintances and think about their immediate surroundings. (like people all over the planet do)

Plus only some Latin Americans descend from Spain, they are mostly the whites. (but many other whites have other roots)

I can't see how an Afro-Colombian sees Spain as the mother land!

Plus it's not like just Spain has been influential in Latin America

THE USA
PORTUGAL
ITALY
GERMANY
FRANCE
NETHERLANDS
WEST AFRICAN COUNTRIES

They have all been highly influential in Latin America culturally, not to mention the muslims, the jews, the asians in many different parts of mostly South America!!!

LET'S STOP THINKING LATIN AMERICA MEANS MEXICAN-AMERICANS PLEASE!

Old 02-19-2017, 12:45 PM

127 posts, read 123,846 times
Quote:

go to Colombia.... you'll find plenty of impoverished whites living in the countryside outside Medellin, and plenty of rich blacks living in wealthy areas of Cartagena.

it's all about demographics/geography.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:53 AM

990 posts, read 882,411 times
Huuumm I saw Europeans doing that all the time including with genetic tests for example for discover how many are the British or Irish Nordics, Celtics, German etc and how many are Portuguese and Spaniard Celtic, Romans, Visigoths, Muslims and Jews.
How many east European are Slavic or not.

American the same with popular genetic test for discover the roots that is not even common in Latin America.

So I think the Latin American is not exception many humans want to know about their roots others don’t care about these stuff.

Most people abroad think Brazilians are mostly black or mulatto and when see white Brazilians quest us ‘‘why’’ so is normal explain about our heritage for explain about our ‘’whiteness’’ and here is a country of immigrants.
In Mexico or Peru or Colombia or center America 90% are Spanish white, native Indian or black not difficult trace their heritage so I think people is less curious about this stuff BUT any way Peruvians always tell they are Inca heritage and Mexicans with the Aztecs heritage, the most developed Indian American although a small percent really are descent of these most developed native Americans. So I think it is not so different when a Brazilian or Argentinean tell proud about their double citizenship from a rich country or Irish and British appear are prouder with the Viking or Nordic or German heritage than native Bretons (the losers) that were dominated by the first ones.
Same when you talk with Portuguese, Spanish and Italians about Muslims domination in their land and how genetic they are influenced by Muslims, Jews and many don’t accept that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World