U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2014, 10:22 PM
 
579 posts, read 616,447 times
Reputation: 613

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
In Britain football fans are fanatics. Many fans are in groups of other fans and form hooligan groups. they follow their team wherever they go in the world, and start fights and attack the opposing fans, who are also with their own hooligan groups.

America doesn't have anything as extreme as British sports fans.
Sport is a way of life in Britain, more so than any American could understand
Those Brits are fans of 1 single team in 1 single sport.

Almost all sports fans in America have a favorite baseball, football, and basketball team. Most also have favorite college football & college basketball teams. If not also hockey/MMA fighter/Golfer/Auto racer etc. It never stops. How much news, discussions and overall content can you truly have over 1 single team in 1 single sport.

We aren't discussing which fans are more hardcore for their favorite team. We are discussing which fans spend more time on a daily basis involved in sports. Notice American fans even watch British football, while Brits don't watch American sports. When is the last time a British Prime Minister put time aide to fill out a tournament bracket for a sporting event....Obama did for college basketball. Does the English Prime Minister each year put a day aside to meet the Champions of each sport (including College sports)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2014, 07:20 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,219 posts, read 6,074,282 times
Reputation: 4826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
Those Brits are fans of 1 single team in 1 single sport.

Almost all sports fans in America have a favorite baseball, football, and basketball team. Most also have favorite college football & college basketball teams. If not also hockey/MMA fighter/Golfer/Auto racer etc. It never stops. How much news, discussions and overall content can you truly have over 1 single team in 1 single sport.

We aren't discussing which fans are more hardcore for their favorite team. We are discussing which fans spend more time on a daily basis involved in sports. Notice American fans even watch British football, while Brits don't watch American sports. When is the last time a British Prime Minister put time aide to fill out a tournament bracket for a sporting event....Obama did for college basketball. Does the English Prime Minister each year put a day aside to meet the Champions of each sport (including College sports)?
Im sorry but you are wrong, sports is a huge deal in Britain and its not just all about football (though the EPL is the most popular sports league in the world so it has a strong 'pull'). You say Gridiron, baseball & basketball, I say football cricket and rugby, as for golf Auto racing etc have you heard of Formula 1, there are people totally and completey obsessed with it! thats not to mention all the other motor sports in the country (the UK is the home of formula 1). Millions of Britons play golf and incidently there is also a British basketball league (its just that other sports are more popular). Yes there are phone apps, yes the Prime Minister has played host to sports teams (when England won the rugby world cup for eg) and the Prime Miniser even took time out when in conference with the US President and the German Chancellor to watch Chelsea in the Champions League Final (there is a famous picture of him arms aloft while the German Chancellor is looking glum). Like Ive said before I often wondered why people in the US were not very 'sporty' because they showed no interest in the World Cup or the Premier League or the six nations but of course I now realise its just that Americans like different sports that arent really on the radar here, I suspect it works the other way around too, for example the 6 nations rugby tournament is big news here yet I bet an average American doesnt even know what that is. The rugby world cup will be held in the UK this year and will be attended by thousands and thousands of people, it will be all over the newspapers too, you simply cant claim that Britons dislike 'sport' just because they dont watch the superbowl! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 AM
 
Location: sumter
7,341 posts, read 4,706,901 times
Reputation: 5960
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Im sorry but you are wrong, sports is a huge deal in Britain and its not just all about football (though the EPL is the most popular sports league in the world so it has a strong 'pull'). You say Gridiron, baseball & basketball, I say football cricket and rugby, as for golf Auto racing etc have you heard of Formula 1, there are people totally and completey obsessed with it! thats not to mention all the other motor sports in the country (the UK is the home of formula 1). Millions of Britons play golf and incidently there is also a British basketball league (its just that other sports are more popular). Yes there are phone apps, yes the Prime Minister has played host to sports teams (when England won the rugby world cup for eg) and the Prime Miniser even took time out when in conference with the US President and the German Chancellor to watch Chelsea in the Champions League Final (there is a famous picture of him arms aloft while the German Chancellor is looking glum). Like Ive said before I often wondered why people in the US were not very 'sporty' because they showed no interest in the World Cup or the Premier League or the six nations but of course I now realise its just that Americans like different sports that arent really on the radar here, I suspect it works the other way around too, for example the 6 nations rugby tournament is big news here yet I bet an average American doesnt even know what that is. The rugby world cup will be held in the UK this year and will be attended by thousands and thousands of people, it will be all over the newspapers too, you simply cant claim that Britons dislike 'sport' just because they dont watch the superbowl! lol
Rugby is not really on the radar in north America and nobody here is crying about that. The NFL is the most richest sports league in the world, the most profitable on the planet, the dallas cowboys is the most valuable sports franchise on the planet, worth more than 1.5 billion. New Wembly stadium is sold out each time the NFL plays there and in November the dallas cowboys will be playing there and will be bringing their cowgirls. Country for country the US is tops in sports, its huge size alone and the large diversity of cities from coast to coast. You ONLY hear about London when people speak of the uk, but here its not only nyc. I'll respectfully agree to disagree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Hong Kong / Vienna
4,557 posts, read 4,848,168 times
Reputation: 3896
A was rather astonished by the masses that showed up for the basketball game between PAO - Barcelona. Was looking for football videos and for some reasons this showed up. Good atmosphere for a Euro basketball game, during the first couple of seconds I thought it's a football game:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 09:37 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,219 posts, read 6,074,282 times
Reputation: 4826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Rugby is not really on the radar in north America and nobody here is crying about that. The NFL is the most richest sports league in the world, the most profitable on the planet, the dallas cowboys is the most valuable sports franchise on the planet, worth more than 1.5 billion. New Wembly stadium is sold out each time the NFL plays there and in November the dallas cowboys will be playing there and will be bringing their cowgirls. Country for country the US is tops in sports, its huge size alone and the large diversity of cities from coast to coast. You ONLY hear about London when people speak of the uk, but here its not only nyc. I'll respectfully agree to disagree with you.
I know how 'big' the NFL is in the US but the reality is that the NFL is only 'big' in the USA, it doesn't really appear on the 'radar' anywhere else, I don't think you realise just how big sports are in the other parts of the world because in the US you are isolated from the worlds sports. I also know that rugby doesn't appear on the radar their but that doesn't mean its not a hugely popular global game because it is. I am not suggesting any particular sport is better I am just saying that different sports are big in different countries, the EPL is the worlds most popular domestic league and the Champions League Final is the worlds most watched sporting event but that doesn't make either 'better' it just means that because neither really appear on the 'radar' in the US I feel you guys don't realise how much these sports are cared for in 'other' parts of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 09:53 AM
 
44 posts, read 56,209 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Rugby is not really on the radar in north America and nobody here is crying about that. The NFL is the most richest sports league in the world, the most profitable on the planet, the dallas cowboys is the most valuable sports franchise on the planet, worth more than 1.5 billion.
Here are the 50 most valuable sports teams as of July 2013:


Forbes Ranks The World's Most Valuable Sports Teams - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 270+ Sites

Top 10:

  1. Real Madrid, $3.3 billion
  2. Manchester United, $3.165 billion
  3. Barcelona, $2.6 billion
  4. New York Yankees, $2.3 billion
  5. Dallas Cowboys, $2.1 billion
  6. New England Patriots, $1.635 billion
  7. Los Angeles Dodgers, $1.615 billion
  8. Washington Redskins, $1.6 billion
  9. New York Giants, $1.468 billion
  10. Arsenal, $1.326 billion



Quote:
New Wembly stadium is sold out each time the NFL plays there and in November the dallas cowboys will be playing there and will be bringing their cowgirls.
Most people there are either, American, or British people that want to experience a bit of 'Americana'.
The majority of people couldn't care less about the result, or bother following the league.

European Soccer teams constantly tour America, and play to packed stadiums also.







Quote:
Country for country the US is tops in sports, its huge size alone and the large diversity of cities from coast to coast. You ONLY hear about London when people speak of the uk, but here its not only nyc. I'll respectfully agree to disagree with you.
Do you?

The most popular British teams around the world are, Manchester United and Liverpool F.C.

I've never come across any foreigner that thought Manchester or Liverpool were in London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 17,656,569 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
And I'm sure your country is a real powerhouse in most sports right?
Well hell yeah. 7th in the all-time Olympic Games medal table, 3-time FIFA World Cup medalist, 11-time participant, 9 times a medalist in the Olympic Ice Hockey, 44 medals in the Ice Hockey World Championships, top Handball World Cup medalist (including winners), countless individual top athletes like Björn Borg, Anja Pärson, Pernilla Wiberg, Ingemar Stenmark.

I'm quite confident to say that Sweden is per capita the most successful sports nation ever. By far, completely in its own class.
Hand-egg and ball-hitting sports nations should take their hat off and bow before the success of Sweden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 10:02 AM
 
28,906 posts, read 45,369,534 times
Reputation: 45836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
Those Brits are fans of 1 single team in 1 single sport.

Almost all sports fans in America have a favorite baseball, football, and basketball team. Most also have favorite college football & college basketball teams. If not also hockey/MMA fighter/Golfer/Auto racer etc. It never stops. How much news, discussions and overall content can you truly have over 1 single team in 1 single sport.

We aren't discussing which fans are more hardcore for their favorite team. We are discussing which fans spend more time on a daily basis involved in sports. Notice American fans even watch British football, while Brits don't watch American sports. When is the last time a British Prime Minister put time aide to fill out a tournament bracket for a sporting event....Obama did for college basketball. Does the English Prime Minister each year put a day aside to meet the Champions of each sport (including College sports)?
Tell that to my brother-in-law from Manchester, who will watch anything and everything that involves a ball. Soccer, rugby, cricket, basketball, golf, tennis, you name it. Heck, the guy even knows more about college football than I do. My sister-in-law drew the line at hockey and NASCAR or else he'd be camped out on the sofa watching ESPN 24/7. And he's a freaking Ph.D.

Hey, I'm not exactly sports-happy, but your statement is kind of ridiculous. Hell, when I was in New Zealand a few years back, everybody was yapping on about the All Blacks and the America's Cup when they weren't out on the ski slopes, biking, or doing some other sporting activity. Same when I was in Australia. I'm thinking you suffer from confirmation bias, where you essentially see what fits your neat little theory and ignore that which doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,507 posts, read 16,013,709 times
Reputation: 5035
In a majority of the world Education > Sports but in America its the other way round for the best part. There are other outlets though for the most popular sports around the rest of the world also, something that isnt really the case here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 10:25 AM
 
Location: sumter
7,341 posts, read 4,706,901 times
Reputation: 5960
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I know how 'big' the NFL is in the US but the reality is that the NFL is only 'big' in the USA, it doesn't really appear on the 'radar' anywhere else, I don't think you realise just how big sports are in the other parts of the world because in the US you are isolated from the worlds sports. I also know that rugby doesn't appear on the radar their but that doesn't mean its not a hugely popular global game because it is. I am not suggesting any particular sport is better I am just saying that different sports are big in different countries, the EPL is the worlds most popular domestic league and the Champions League Final is the worlds most watched sporting event but that doesn't make either 'better' it just means that because neither really appear on the 'radar' in the US I feel you guys don't realise how much these sports are cared for in 'other' parts of the world.
I understand your view point my friend, I have lived in many places around the world when I was on active duty navy. When I lived in japan, they have professional league baseball there and from what I could tell, it was much more popular than soccer (football), also korea and many places in latin America. And if the Olympics is any indication of where a given country stands then we are doing pretty good. We are usually in top 3 or 4 in overall medal counts. But its all in good fun. You should pick a sport then pick a city and come watch that game live here in the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top