Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 01:37 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,900,978 times

Advertisements

I think you'll find the UK is not like that..

My school has a running track, 4 rugby pitches and a hockey pitch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 01:53 PM

301 posts, read 521,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This part I have to agree with. it's the number and types of sports that really set the US apart. Take the San Francisco Bay Area for example; Oakland and San Francisco each have a Football team and a Baseball team. The seasons for these two sports overlap in late summer and fall. In addition, Oakland has a Basketball team and it's season is on for that brief period when there is neither Baseball nor Football. Then there is San Jose which has a Soccer team and a Hockey team. Then there are the college teams like Cal (Berkeley) and Stanford. Then there are the minor league teams mentioned earlier and I won't even get into the High Schools as there are an immense number of them throughout the Bay Area.

Cable and Satellite TV packages are frequently sold around their various sports packages (I know because I sell them). Many people subscribe to a service only for the sports packages and nothing else.
No. No city in America has even half as many big sporting teams as London.
London is by far the biggest sporting city on earth.

Most British cities have more than one football club, and British clubs are bigger, richer and more popular than American clubs.

British cities also have rugby and cricket clubs who play weekly, and many many more sports too

Old 04-21-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I think you've drunk enough for tonight.
Not yet

Old 04-21-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
Clicked on American TV today @ Noon (All Live)

Basketball
Baseball
Hockey
Soccer
Golf
Spring College Football

and probably other stuff I didn't see
Is that all. There are over 20 dedicated 24 hour sports channels on British tv

Old 04-21-2014, 02:08 PM

12,976 posts, read 9,679,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronan123 View Post
ofc there are people that do not watch any sports, but people in europe have a way larger interest in sports. don't even dare to compare hand-egg with the internationally renowned sport football. 1000s of people have died in the name of football all the world over. in europe sport is a life-style, in US its all about the money. and no - its not only about england - its about russia, spain, albania, sweden, brazil and congo.
So nobody in Europe is getting paid big money to play for a given team?

Old 04-21-2014, 02:39 PM

12,976 posts, read 9,679,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
Go and watch a football game between a German and British team and see how fanatical European sports fans are.

Watch a cricket game between England and Australia and see how loud and dedicated their fans are.

Watch a rugby game between France and England and see how packed out the stadiums and cities are.

Watch a Wimbledon match and see how crazy the support is for European players.

Watch a formula one race and see the crazy support from almost every European nation, the Brits and Germans are the loudest and most supportive and competitive of their teams. A football game between them is electrifying.

The atmosphere in European tournaments is also much bigger, louder and more electric than American sports.

The great thing about European sports is they are played by all European countries.
A game between Britain and France or Germany and the Netherlands, is more crazy and amazing than any game you will see in USA
I'm not sure about that one. The fans of the seattle seahawks was so loud and crazy in that atmosphere that they cause a small earthquake and more than 100,000 fans attended a hocky game between Toronto and Detroit in the freezing cold and snow, 400,000 at the Indianapolis motor speedway setting a formula one attendance record back in 2008, more than 79,000 in the stadium to watch the college basketball finals. I wont even mention the atmosphere and attendance at the major college football games.

Last edited by ipaper; 04-21-2014 at 03:22 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 02:41 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,900,978 times
Quote:
Their TV is boring..very few channels.

All they seemed to have on was Golf and the News..

Old 04-22-2014, 12:08 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,129,834 times
Quote:
No. No city in America has even half as many big sporting teams as London.
London is by far the biggest sporting city on earth.

Most British cities have more than one football club, and British clubs are bigger, richer and more popular than American clubs.

British cities also have rugby and cricket clubs who play weekly, and many many more sports too
Melbourne has 10 Australian Rules Football Clubs
2 x A-league (Aus Soccer League) clubs
2 x Twenty20 teams
1 x State cricket team
1 x Rugby League team

Melbourne also hosts the Australian Open, Formula One, MotoGP.

Liverpool last year, played in front of its biggest crowd ever.... in Melbourne.

Quote:
Aussie Rules has its own dedicated channel, showing tv shows, games 24/7

There are 3 Fox Sports Channels, dedicated horse racing channels - a free to air sports channel, and in Melbourne SEN, which is Sports Entertainment Network - radio channel. All things sport.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:51 AM

579 posts, read 763,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Right now I can watch the following sport channels:
Sky Sports 1
Sky Sports 2
Sky Sports 3
Sky Sports 4
Sky Sports News
Sky Sports F1
Eurosport
Eurosport 2
Extreme Sports
MUTV
ESPN
At the Races
Racing UK
LFCTV
Motors TV
Box Nation
BT Sport 1
BT Sport 2
Premier Sport

and they're not all showing football.
How many of those channels are free?

Casual fans don't pay for premium channels

Old 04-22-2014, 02:41 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,824,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Melbourne has 10 Australian Rules Football Clubs
2 x A-league (Aus Soccer League) clubs
2 x Twenty20 teams
1 x State cricket team
1 x Rugby League team

Melbourne also hosts the Australian Open, Formula One, MotoGP.

Liverpool last year, played in front of its biggest crowd ever.... in Melbourne.

Aussie Rules has its own dedicated channel, showing tv shows, games 24/7

There are 3 Fox Sports Channels, dedicated horse racing channels - a free to air sports channel, and in Melbourne SEN, which is Sports Entertainment Network - radio channel. All things sport.
Melbourne is undoubtedly one of the world's sporting capitals. We've (well I don't know if I can call myself a Melburnian yet lol) also of course hosted the Olympics in 1956 and Commonwealth Games in 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World