Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 03:37 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
You do realise that Ireland is a mirrior image of UK?
Politically southern Ireland in the 1800s was between the rebellion of 1798 and the uprising of 1916 that lead to independence.

Irish Rebellion of 1798 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Easter Rising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That was a very significant political dynamic that was reflected in a large proportion of the Irish transported to Australia. Add to that the Catholic rather than protestant religious base and language and cultural differences at the time, and you have a demographic that was quite distinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 05:59 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Yet in many ways Australia's beginning were not typical of British society at all. It was founded after all as a prison colony, and a large proportion of those transported were rebellious southern Irish Catholics who spoke Irish Gaelic. It was a few decades before free migration commenced, and within a couple of decades a large proportion of immigrants were from outside the UK; continental Europe, Asia and (during the gold rush years) North America.
regardless of actual demographic breakdown , australia certainly has quite a ( bolshie ) irish spirit about it , a fondness for poking fun at authority and pomposity , commitment to having a laugh

much like canada , new zealand is very clearly scottish in charechter , i know irish people emmigrated to new zealand but they were in the main protestant irish in the early days , loyal to the crown and more conformist in nature

both nations ( oz and nz ) were of course institutionally english but im refering to the underlying charechter of the people

Old 04-25-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm not going to seriously address Mac15's claims, but it should go without saying you can get a bigger house for your buck in Oz, our houses are bigger, our economy is doing much better than the UK, less debt.etc. That's why fewer Aussies are going to the UK and poms are still flocking here. Maybe the gloomy weather up in N.Ireland is just making him cranky...
ah go easy on mac , he,s a school boy , if you say one thing , he just blurts out " yeah will my dad could beat your dad "

Old 04-25-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
Is it still true to this date? the emigration pattern of Scots to Canada/NZ in proportions to overall British emigrants.
i dont know for sure but i wouldnt have thought so , people are much more flexible nowadays and tend not to flock to a particular area where their " people " are settled in large numbers like used to be the case , im talking about a time when going to canada or new zealand meant setting up a farm

Old 04-25-2014, 06:04 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
ah go easy on mac , he,s a school boy , if you say one thing , he just blurts out " yeah will my dad could beat your dad "
I don't think so love.

He sets up all these threads about the western world day in day out. It would seem that he is trying to get gratification. He doesn't actually live here and he says that Australia has big roads and big houses but really Australia seems to be a country that is big but with a small mind mentality i.e they live like British people. I watch the shows that are in Australia and their houses aren't really that big.

Maybe he is talking about the cities in England where the houses are tooty but in Scotland and the island of Ireland our houses aren't really small to be honest. Especially in the countryside.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
No offence but you really know nothing about the Presbyterian lifestyle.

They aren't all sour or anything like that.
i said sober , they are a terrific people in many ways , fantastic work ethic , law abiding , honest to a fault

Old 04-25-2014, 06:07 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Well no they aren't terrific imo, they are too strict and too rigit.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I don't think so love.

He sets up all these threads about the western world day in day out. It would seem that he is trying to get gratification. He doesn't actually live here and he says that Australia has big roads and big houses but really Australia seems to be a country that is big but with a small mind mentality i.e they live like British people. I watch the shows that are in Australia and their houses aren't really that big.

Maybe he is talking about the cities in England where the houses are tooty but in Scotland and the island of Ireland our houses aren't really small to be honest. Especially in the countryside.
australia has a lot more going for it than either ireland or the uk going forward , london will stay relevant but i see little reason why the rest of england , scotland , wales and northern ireland ( and the republic of ireland ) is destined for huge prosperity in the next twenty years , we dont make anything and are not rich in natural resources unlike australia which is the mine of china

Old 04-25-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Well no they aren't terrific imo, they are too strict and too rigit.

oh their are things about them which i dont particulary like either but i was listing the qualitys

the insistance on having tea and buns during a party instead of beer would be a big NO NO for me

Old 04-25-2014, 06:16 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
I don't think so love.

Australia does have big roads and big houses compared to the UK. That's a fact. It's not even up for argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World