Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 09:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Just got in from a road trip across ten states. Rather than posting pictures of all the cool tourist stuff we saw, I'll post the more mundane ones. We take road trips throughout the year, due to the nature of my husband's work. This past week we drove from Pennsylvania down through West Virginia, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and then home to Texas.

Here's a photo of BOILED PEANUTS - a snack food that's popular along the Gulf coast and southeastern US states but seems very weird to many people outside of that region:

Here's the view from one of our favorite hotels - the Haywood in Asheville, North Carolina.

This is an abandoned theater in the very small town of Rayville, Louisiana. My great uncle used to own this, as well as about 300 other theaters throughout the south during the 1930s through the 1970s. His theater chain was called "Joy Theatres." Managing this theater was the first job my dad had out of college.

Call me unsophisticated, but even though we both love nice hotel rooms, we're not accustomed to having a TV in the bathroom (not to mention - take a look at how huge this bathroom is! The jacuzzi tub and separate shower are off to the left of where I was standing to take this photo). This is at the Haywood in Asheville, NC.

Here's the view from a rest stop in North Carolina:

I'm not going to post any more pictures from our road trip because they're more touristy - LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 09:55 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,433,425 times
Boiled peanuts, eh? lol

I love the architecture on the theatre, Kathryn. Especially that sweeping sign!

Old 07-20-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Boiled peanuts, eh? lol

I love the architecture on the theatre, Kathryn. Especially that sweeping sign!
Thank you - it makes me sort of sad to drive through so many small southern towns and see those old theaters closed down, especially when I know it was a Joy theater.

I do have a good story about the famous Joy Theatre on Canal Street in New Orleans, which was also owned and operated by my great uncle till the 1980s or so. It was closed down but still a Canal Street icon for many years afterward, but then Hurricane Katrina hit and the Joy was flooded and fell into disrepair. FINALLY, someone bought it and refurbished it and turned it into a live entertainment/live theater venue and business is thankfully BOOMING. We visited it a few months ago when we took a trip down south to New Orleans (my very favorite city) and it was great to tour it and see it restored to it's former glory.

Joy Theatre on Canal Street in the 1940s:

Marquee being serviced (maybe the 1960s?):

Lobby during the 1970s:

After Katrina:

Renovated and open for business again!

Marquee:

Lobby:

Theater:

My dad in his uncle's business truck in the 1940s:

YAY!

Old 07-20-2014, 10:19 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,433,425 times
Wow!

I love restoration stories like that. Thank you for sharing.

I googled the one in Rayville. Did it suffer from a fire? It is completely gutted with no roof. Doesn't seem like she's long for this world.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Wow!

I love restoration stories like that. Thank you for sharing.

I googled the one in Rayville. Did it suffer from a fire? It is completely gutted with no roof. Doesn't seem like she's long for this world.
I think there was a fire there. Sad, really. In fact, my dad lived in the back of that theater when he was a kid and his dad was managing it.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:35 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,314 times
Love the old Art Deco theatres and cinema's so many gone now.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
This is the point where I eat lunch virtually every day from late January until late November. There is a small, non-descript café out here that is not really worth a photo. Except for five table the rest are outdoors and this is the view. Those tall, spindly plants are fennel, which grows abundantly along the cliffs.
Attached Thumbnails
Your every day life - post pictures and give descriptions (no insulting, please!)!-dsc_0042.jpg  

Old 07-21-2014, 03:16 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,181 times
I have been spending a lot of time in Germany over the last 1.5 years because my girlfriend lives in Berlin. So I guess this about my '1 in every 6 days life'...

View of the city from the Neukölln Arcaden carpark. She lives ten minutes away by foot.

Right around some corners is Tempelhofer Feld, this abandoned airport that is now popular with joggers, cyclists, and BBQ'ers.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:31 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
This is the point where I eat lunch virtually every day from late January until late November. There is a small, non-descript café out here that is not really worth a photo. Except for five table the rest are outdoors and this is the view. Those tall, spindly plants are fennel, which grows abundantly along the cliffs.
Ooo lovely place to eat lunch!

Old 07-21-2014, 07:13 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,335,726 times
Just north of Pacifica in Northern California. I lived there in my RV for six months. I was lucky to wake up to these views every morning during that time.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World