Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 11:49 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
lol oh it ok i'm sure you'll get over it.. Honestly I didn't know the GDR was such a long range so I learned something Having said that, I stick by what I said about Australian mountains vs American and Canadian - the OZ one's are wimps in comparison.
Australian mountains certainly aren't going to win any awards for height. Quite beautiful though.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:24 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh its ok sister - i'm sure the boys will love you just the same..

Old 11-30-2014, 09:40 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
I've been to the US, UK and Australia and of course live in Canada. I haven't been to NZ though so can't really comment but I like what I've seen in photos and reports from friends. Here is how I'd rate these things.

Which Anglo country is the best out of all these things, UK, USA, Canada or Australia:

Friendliness: US - in general I find the US to be the friendliest out of the countries. I've heard NZ is very friendly and probably would win here but haven't been.

Location: UK by far. All of Europe at your doorstep and you could travel around for several lifetimes and NEVER get bored

Lifestyle: Australia. Most of the country is pretty laid back and is more of a work to live culture. I hear NZ is also really great in this regard.

Weather: Australia. No continental climates and most of the country has either a tropical or subtropical climate

Nightlife: US - I always had a good time going out in the US and people there seemed to really let loose

Tourist attractions: UK - museums and history around every corner. Very fascinating stuff!

Economic diversity: US - pretty much every industry exists in one form or another in the US. Probably the most economically diverse place on the planet.

Cultural contribution: UK - With more than 2000 years of recorded history from Roman times to Norman Conquest to Shakespeare etc. the other Anglo countries just can't match that...

Urban living: Canada - seems to have the right mix of urban and suburban compared to the other countries. The UK is too dense for me and Australia and the US seem to be too sprawling.

History: UK - Pretty much linked up with cultural contribution. History around every corner

Architecture: UK - Lots of amazing historical buildings that the other countries can't match

Transportation: US - The biggest and most developed transportation system in the world. Driving the Interstate highways are like a dream. The other countries just can't compare

Education: UK&US tie - Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, MIT ... enough said...

Natural scenery: US - has the most diverse set of natural scenery from tropical Hawaii to Arctic Alaska. There is always something new to see and never would get bored.

Cost of Living: Canada - Seems to be the best balance of costs compared to the other countries. The US would win in this case except the Health care costs even with insurance can be much higher than what we pay for our provincial plans. Aus and UK seem too expensive overall.

Political Stability: Australia - Unlike Canada, the US and the UK, Australia has never had any serious secessionist movement. I imagine NZ would do well in this regard too.

The Politics: Canada - seems to have the most interesting politics with the French English dynamic and lots in between.

Economical Stability: Australia - seems to have the most stable economy of the Anglo countries and also has the best economic connections to Asia which bodes well for its future.

Fun: Australia - Fun to me is lying on the beach and catching some rays and it seems to me you can do that in a good chunk of Australia most of the year

Old 11-30-2014, 10:20 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwinter View Post
Friendlieness: definitely the United Kingdom but there is a fake friendliness in Amercia.
Lifestyle: USA.
Weather: USA.
Nightlife: Aussie.
Tourism: USA
Economy: USA
Cultural: USA
Urban: USA
History: UK
Architecture: UK
Transport: UK
Education: UK
Landscape: USA
Living costs: USA
Politics: Australia.
Fun: Australia.

^^^ lol, Owen. You never learn.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:31 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post

Economical Stability: Australia - seems to have the most stable economy of the Anglo countries and also has the best economic connections to Asia which bodes well for its future.
Don't count Canada out in this regard.. It has The worlds third largest Oil reserves and looks to be an ever growing fresh water superpower...Like Australia - it is a huge resource rich country with a relatively small population. Plus - trade with China is growing leaps and bounds - they know what we got in terms of resources... Plus the U.S isn't going to be going out for the count economically for a long time to come despite what some think..

Read this article about the potential 'Northern Tigers' emerging as a result of global warming.

Updates & Insights · Recommended Reading · Canada a world 'superpower' in waiting · Pasco

Last edited by fusion2; 11-30-2014 at 10:48 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 01:00 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post

Natural scenery: US - has the most diverse set of natural scenery from tropical Hawaii to Arctic Alaska. There is always something new to see and never would get bored.
Probably the biggest plus for the US in terms of natural scenery is how accessible most of it is. Australia and Canada do have some pretty spectacular places, but getting there is more "epic adventure" than holiday destination. Even getting to Australia's Indian Ocean territories of Christmas and Cocos Islands from the mainland is more of an effort than flying to Hawaii.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:02 AM

984 posts, read 1,315,210 times
I would NEVER say that the US and UK have the best education systems but rather the worst.

Yes they have very top tier schools but they are the privy of the 0.1% but their overall "average" universities that the 99% of kids can afford are not as good and more expensive. Their basic elementary/secondary school systems are inferior in nearly all aspects to either Canada or the Australia.

The UK and American education systems are a true reflection of the class distinctions and grotesque gap in income levels that typify British and American societies.

I would have to say Canada has the best system with Australia a close second and the US and UK not even in the same county.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:31 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times
Friendliness: USA
-----------------
-----------------
Lifestyle: USA
----------------
Weather: USA
---------------
Nightlife: USA
---------------
Tourist attractions: USA
--------------
Economic diversity: USA
-------------
Cultural contribution: USA
-------------
Urban living: USA
------------
History: USA
-----------
Architecture: USA
-----------
Transportation: Australia
------------
Education: Neither one
----------
Natural scenery: USA
-----------
Cost of Living: USA
-----------
Political Stability: Australia
-----------
The Politics: Australia
----------
Economical Stability: Australia
----------
Fun: USA

come to think of it, Canada and the UK are kinda meh

Old 12-01-2014, 07:09 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Friendliness: USA
-----------------
-----------------
Lifestyle: USA
----------------
Weather: USA
---------------
Nightlife: USA
---------------
Tourist attractions: USA
--------------
Economic diversity: USA
-------------
Cultural contribution: USA
-------------
Urban living: USA
------------
History: USA
-----------
Architecture: USA
-----------
Transportation: Australia
------------
Education: Neither one
----------
Natural scenery: USA
-----------
Cost of Living: USA
-----------
Political Stability: Australia
-----------
The Politics: Australia
----------
Economical Stability: Australia
----------
Fun: USA

come to think of it, Canada and the UK are kinda meh
I'm sorry, USA has better history than the UK... yea, the almost 240 years you're country has been a country and the only bit that is relatively interesting is the civil war against the monarchy, when we Brits blew up the white house, the 2nd civil war between the federates and the Yankees, prohibition, and the civil rights movement - that's about it. Compare that to the 2000 years of record history in the UK from the Romans, to the mystery of the dark ages, the norman invasion, war of the roses, the middle ages, Tudor time, The English civil war, the British Isle united, the British Empire, the modern era, and todays post-modern era, and so much more!
So the UK is well advance in terms of history.

Also, have you ever been to the UK and Canada before? The UK was meh during the 70s, but it is now considered as one of the best places in the world to visit as we've got pretty much everything you can think of in one small island!

Old 12-01-2014, 07:19 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
For all of the USA's history America has been at war bar a couple of years.

Mexican-American war
American civil war
American war for independence
WW1
WW2
Cold war
Various ''wars'' against Terrorism since the early 2000s
(e.g. the fake war for oil and political Control)

What an interesting history!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World