Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 10:11 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,081,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
I think everyone living in the U.S. can obviously see it's a ticking time bomb. Mass illegal immigration invasion, morals destroyed, a messed up economy, no one on the same page, etc. I'm thinking of moving to Ireland, personally.
Well, I keep telling my extremist-fundamentalist Christian friends, who complain a lot about "morals" in American society, that the Christian nation of Ireland -- where things like divorce is illegal -- might be a better fit for them! Not saying that you, 17271, are a Christian fundamentalist, I don't know you, but your comments spurred the thoughts for me.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 11-24-2008 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: grammar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 10:15 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,991,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
I think everyone living in the U.S. can obviously see it's a ticking time bomb. Mass illegal immigration invasion, morals destroyed, a messed up economy, no one on the same page, etc. I'm thinking of moving to Ireland, personally.
As someone who just moved back from Ireland, don't believe that you will not find the same problems over there (or anywhere else on the planet for that matter). Their economy is in far worse shape, they have plenty of problems with immigration and if you think the morals are somehow superior, then Ireland is not really any better than the US in that dept.

I think that the "grass is always greener" no matter where you decide to head off to. It's a wonderful place, but not for the reasons you mentioned. I think it's great if people have the opportunity to move out of the US to explore our world!

There were several recent posts on CD where Ireland is discussed in detail if you'd like more info!

Old 11-24-2008, 10:17 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,991,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Well, I keep telling my extremist-fundamentalist Christian friends, who complain a lot about "morals" in American society, that the Christian nation of Ireland -- where things like divorce is illegal -- might be a better fit for them! Not saying you, 17271, are a Christian fundamentalist, I don't know you, but your comments merely spurred the thoughts for me.
Actually, divorce IS legal in Ireland as of (1996).

Old 11-24-2008, 10:26 AM

773 posts, read 1,940,525 times
Quote:
Well, I keep telling my extremist-fundamentalist Christian friends, who complain a lot about "morals" in American society, that the Christian nation of Ireland -- where things like divorce is illegal -- might be a better fit for them! Not saying that you, 17271, are a Christian fundamentalist, I don't know you, but your comments spurred the thoughts for me.
Sounds like your saying "all" Christians are extremist-fundamentalists??

Just kidding, I couldn't help it.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:34 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,081,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
Sounds like your saying "all" Christians are extremist-fundamentalists??

Just kidding, I couldn't help it.
No prob, and I'm certainly not saying that all Christians are extremist-fundamentalists. I know some very stodgy and inflexible Presbyterians and Baptists who there is just no talking to, and who would turn America into a theocratic state in a minute, give the opportunity. But I also know many Unitarians, Anglicans, Episcopalians, who I find caring, open and a joy to be around. Don't know if it's a pattern, but of the individuals I know, the latter group is more international.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,330 times
i am going to leave the us soon im so gone that i can say this in a chat (GOD BLESS USA) and that i know what is going to happen soon and i dont wont part of it! GOD BLESS ALL!

Old 01-30-2009, 06:08 PM

76 posts, read 203,843 times
Being as my hubby is from Manchester, England we are giving serious consideration to moving over there. I think it would be a good fit for us both, we're not religious and right now we're stuck in the Bible Belt.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:36 PM

898 posts, read 1,403,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaroo View Post
......Æ Ø Å Wonderfull letters!
Don't forget Þ and Ð

mustn't forget Icelandic when thinking of Scandinavian languages.

Hvað segirðu?

Old 01-30-2009, 07:01 PM

773 posts, read 1,940,525 times
Quote:
No prob, and I'm certainly not saying that all Christians are extremist-fundamentalists. I know some very stodgy and inflexible Presbyterians and Baptists who there is just no talking to, and who would turn America into a theocratic state in a minute, give the opportunity. But I also know many Unitarians, Anglicans, Episcopalians, who I find caring, open and a joy to be around. Don't know if it's a pattern, but of the individuals I know, the latter group is more international.

Well, there has been a long battle against Christians here in the US. Seems like the far left is always taking someone to court if any part of religion is mentioned in public. Laws passed so 15 year old girls, who can't legally drink, drive or vote, because they lack the ability to make good judgment decisions, but are allowed to have an abortion without their parents knowing, if the girl doesn't want them to be told. Raise your child to believe in god, then send them to just about any college and they will come back "educated"...taught by liberal professors that the is no god...... I could go on and on about stuff like this. Seems like if the liberals can't snuff something out, they get laws passed to keep it out of public sight. So, yes, many Christians are on the defense. The so called elitists keep putting out info, "to our kids", that religion is not cool and anyone who goes to church is a bible thumper.....some one to be ignored. But then how can you blame the elitists? Christianity teaches then to live by such immoral practices.......

That said, I don't consider myself a Christian and I have no problem with them living life the way they want.

I'm a Lutheran.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:22 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
I've long had plans to leave the country. I'm on my 3rd straight term abroad now- Iceland, Mexico, and now London- and it's so much clearer to me that the US is simply not the right cultural and social background for me. I would ideally move to Iceland and had plans for grad school there, but obviously that's going to be put on hold now with their fallen government and all.

Now I'm looking seriously into doing a British law conversion course after I graduate from my American uni in 2010. I've always wanted to go into law but never wanted to be tied to the States to do it, so this seems perfect.

I simply have no interest in raising my future children in the States to be quite honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World