Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 04:19 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times

Advertisements

I'd like to live in France, generally south of Paris, within a 4 hour train ride to Paris. Rural areas are peaceful and have public transportation so that those without cars are not isolated. Sitting in an outdoor cafe while sipping at cognac and coffee is a great way to spend an hour or two.
America is a fine place, the problem is the mentality of the people who are in charge.
The things I want to escape are:
-hollow, mindless, flag waving xenophobes.
-conformism.
-the high percentage of religious fanatics.
-prudish, bouregoisie attitudes.
-excessive emphasis on social status and materialism.
-gun culture, macho-birdbrains and militarism.
-people who live to work, instead of work to live.
And also, I'd like to escape from the large percentage of people who welcome a Big Brother surveillance state.

Last edited by Visvaldis; 02-18-2008 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 03:10 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
If I had an option...I would choose Sweden. Why? Because I've been there and it's wonderful. Norway is nice too.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:19 PM

655 posts, read 2,183,798 times
Somewhere in Latin America, or Spain.

Perhaps even Australia.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,279 times
Default Living Abroad

I see a lot of "I'd like to live there because it's nice, pretty, good weather" and so on but I want to hear from people who have actually left the US to live abroad where they do not have family and are not of that countries origin and what difficulties you've had adapting, working and staying in that country.

For example, I live in CA but am from Oklahoma and speak english only so pretty much any country I go to, i'll stick out and that's fine. I looked into Costa Rica but you have to invest $200k to become a permanent resident and be able to work there...not doable at this point.

What countries are easiest to buy property, work and live there will little residency problems?

At 45, single and staying that way, I see that it will be difficult, if not impossible to afford to retire here in the US, all the damage the gov't has done over the past 25 years will not be repaired in my lifetime and I don't want to be one of those retired people living on cat food and doing without meds.

I'm open for any place that would have me, be safe and be somewhat enjoyable with decent health care.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:57 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,718,728 times
I'd choose France. I've been there before and the people control the government unlike here where the government controls the people. America has allowed it's rulers and corporations to get away with too much. In France, it is normal to protest, rally, and speak up if there is a grievance. In the US we are too busy working to notice the how much the government controls our lives, which is not the way the US was meant to be.

France has excellent universal healthcare, an amazing culture and hospitality, and beauty is found everywhere in it's varied landscape. It can be cold in Paris while it is hot in Nice. Not to mention the food is great and the Euro is kicking the dollar's ass so it's not really that much more expensive to live there.

I need to escape:
-40 hour work week
-paying 250 per month for health insurance with a 2,000 deductible
-constantly relying on my car due to lack of public transportation
-evangelist whackos
-uncultured idiots who can't pronounce "bouquet" (true story)
-unhealthy food that is too convenient to pass up
-BUSHISMS!!!

Old 07-14-2008, 05:08 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,057,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
That said, the differences among the states and regions of the U.S. can be both vast and stark. As an example, California is viewed by many Americans as another country! Yet, within California there are regions as different from each other as California is different from, say, the Great Plains' states. Keeps things interesting, that's for sure. The U.S. is a big and varied country.
There's also people in California who believe that California is the real America while all other 49 states are like foreign countries. I felt like a foreigner in Cali being from Georgia.

I also agree that different regions in California are like different regions in the U.S. The Central Valley looked like the Great Plains, the Sierras looked like the Colorado Rockies, the dessert region looks like the entire Southwest, and then you have the Pacific Northwest in the northern part. Southern California with the exception of L.A. and Venture looks a lot like the Bible Belt states.

Along with the topic, living in Japan has been a positive change in my life. People are more polite and respectful, and you don't have to worry as much about crime. The public transportation is great too, and there are many beautiful areas. I also like the culture and food out here.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:46 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,561,271 times
When I was younger, I'd move back from US to the "Old World" in a heartbeat; Austria or Germany. I have been there before and absolutely loved it.
At this point I'd rather move to Canada though, mostly for political reasons.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:07 PM

6 posts, read 29,498 times
Italy!! C'mon! Rome... the Eternal City! La dolce vita... What more could you ask for? I lived there for three years in University and would go back there in a heartbeat! And I would, if I could only bring myself to teaching English for a living and living in a damp dingy basement apartment cuz that's all I could afford... Never been to Mexico though. I wouldn't want to go there to be an Expat if there are a bunch of Americans anyway... Wasn't the point to get out of America and immerse yourself in ANOTHER society?

Canada, too cold for me, but I'm sure that I would love it a few months out of the year. I've heard that it has some BEAUTIFUL cities and scenery.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:11 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,145,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I'd like to live in France, generally south of Paris, within a 4 hour train ride to Paris. Rural areas are peaceful and have public transportation so that those without cars are not isolated. Sitting in an outdoor cafe while sipping at cognac and coffee is a great way to spend an hour or two.
America is a fine place, the problem is the mentality of the people who are in charge.
The things I want to escape are:
-hollow, mindless, flag waving xenophobes.
-conformism.
-the high percentage of religious fanatics.
-prudish, bouregoisie attitudes.
-excessive emphasis on social status and materialism.
-gun culture, macho-birdbrains and militarism.
-people who live to work, instead of work to live.
And also, I'd like to escape from the large percentage of people who welcome a Big Brother surveillance state.
Besides materialism & living to work, you won't find most of that in California. And those are things you can avoid getting caught up anyway.
The US can vary a lot depending on where you live.

And at least those religious fanatics have their religious freedom in the US. I've read newspaper articles on how some religions get treated in certain European countries, particularly France, and it didn't sound tolerant to me. You might say there is an anti-religion fanaticism in some places.

Not to mention, xenophobia sounds worse to me in most countries. I think Americans are probably more welcoming & accommodating to foreigners. Maybe that's cuz I live in SoCal though & there is such a variety of people....

---
If I could live anywhere, I'd choose France (probably Paris) or London, just cuz I haven't traveled much and those appeal to me right now. Australia appeals to me too...Melbourne or Sydney probably.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:19 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,342,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
Canada for sure - British Columbia

lol oh Bigfoot country. My aunt was there few yrs ago said it was lovely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World