Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has better natural scenery, California or Italy?
California 147 54.44%
Italy 123 45.56%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 04:30 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I agree. This can be said about the Western US in general. About 30 percent of the Western states are absolutely gorgeous mountains, forests, and badlands - the remaining 70 percent is barren desert, scrubland, short-grass prairies, farmland and sprawling cities.
Call me weird but I find beauty in all of it - desert, prairies, farms and sprawling cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 04:37 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
The Western US has vastly less sprawling population than Europe does. It isn't even close.

The population density of California is 95 people/sq km. The population density of Italy is 202 people/sq km.
Right, sprawling as in massive relatively low density urban areas. LA is truly one vast urban sprawl reaching basically from southern Ventura county all the way through Orange county and bordering sections of Riverside and San Bernardino counties.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:02 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
The Western US has vastly less sprawling population than Europe does. It isn't even close.

http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/dow...PopDensity.pdf

http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/dow...PopDensity.pdf

The population density of California is 95 people/sq km. The population density of Italy is 202 people/sq km.
California is mostly rural and wild land. Most of it's population is concentrated in two giant metros with two smaller metros adjacent to them. The western US is pretty sparsely populated. I drive across country and you can go for an entire day without seeing much more than a random two digit population town.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Right, sprawling as in massive relatively low density urban areas. LA is truly one vast urban sprawl reaching basically from southern Ventura county all the way through Orange county and bordering sections of Riverside and San Bernardino counties.
Los Angeles is an exception. It is both sprawling and rather dense. LA county has more people than 43 states.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:39 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,994 times
California has over 800 miles of coastline - everything from calm lagoons to dramatic cliffs (Big Sur). We have both high and low desert, and the tallest mountain the the lower 48 states (Mt. Whitney) in the beautiful Sierra Nevada. We have the biggest and oldest trees in the world (Giant Sequoia, California Redwood, and the Bristlecone Pine). And if you are looking for a beautiful city, look no further than San Francisco (those hills, the Golden Gate). California has some of the most diverse and beautiful natural beauty on the planet - and I didn't even mention Lassen National Park (volcano).

Old 07-04-2015, 04:28 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
California has over 800 miles of coastline - everything from calm lagoons to dramatic cliffs (Big Sur). We have both high and low desert, and the tallest mountain the the lower 48 states (Mt. Whitney) in the beautiful Sierra Nevada. We have the biggest and oldest trees in the world (Giant Sequoia, California Redwood, and the Bristlecone Pine). And if you are looking for a beautiful city, look no further than San Francisco (those hills, the Golden Gate). California has some of the most diverse and beautiful natural beauty on the planet - and I didn't even mention Lassen National Park (volcano).
Italy has 4 634 miles of coastline, and we have some spectacular spots too
Salento https://www.google.it/search?q=punta...9thYi4YzAcM%3A
Sardinia, the "pink beach" https://www.google.it/search?q=spiag...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg

And we also have one mountains higher than your Mt. Whitney, the "Monte Bianco" (exactly on the border line with France). There is also the "Monte Rosa", but the peak is on the Swiss side of the borderline...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Blanc

The inner part of Sicily and Sardinia are quite dry, but we don't have any real desert.
https://www.google.it/search?q=entro...4tVnIgnxLXM%3A a <-- inner Sicily, one of the driest places in Italy I can think of.

Also about trees, we have a couple of millennial trees, but you probably win also in this aspect.

About cities and towns, the situation is really different. We are more into smaller town and cities, not too far one from each other, than into huge metropolis which concentrate the most of the population. In practice we are more regularly spread all over the country.
In addition, Italy has an higher (average) population density, and the first cities were founded something like 3000 years ago (so we had a lot of time for occupy all the available land). This means that in practice here it is really difficult to find a completely wild and unspoiled natural place, without anything which is man-made in your view.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,624 times
California, just bigger and more variety.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:51 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,961,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I agree. California has magnificent natural scenery and quite a wide variety. I think it gets not enough attention in this thread.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I agree. California has magnificent natural scenery and quite a wide variety. I think it gets not enough attention in this thread.
It's not too bad in this thread. The members here in the world forum are very nice compared to the bashing California gets in its own forum on C-D.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:33 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It's not too bad in this thread. The members here in the world forum are very nice compared to the bashing California gets in its own forum on C-D.
That forum is scary. Lol
Too many aggressive, angry people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World