Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:38 PM

317 posts, read 373,496 times

Advertisements

is it difficult to come back to the states after living abroad? The longer I live away - the more scared I am of the gun violence, racial animosity, and political buffins (sp?) I treasure my American citizenship but think it might be real culture shock to come back home and live with Joe the Plumber types. Living in China I enjoy the fact that it's super safe and cheap - and visiting Europe I enjoy the walkability and culture. What are pros and cons of coming back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 11:51 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
I've been away from the U.S. for most of my adult life now...

PROS:
1) Being around family, when you have a family of your own?
2) The concept that you are putting money into an American pension for retirement, which someone abroad may or may not be doing? Although I've heard a person can put their own money into this, without working in the U.S. to contribute.

CONS:
1) Despite what Americans think, there are very FEW freedoms there. In Asia, I could start a business pretty much anywhere doing anything. I can drink a beer on the beach if I want. I could drink a beer on a train if I want.
2) No safety nets, poor healthcare, overpriced healthcare. Terrible place to grow old.
3) Car-centric...again, a terrible situation for anyone as they grow old. Dependent on car when your eyes go bad, etc.
4) Crime-filled. Drug addiction is way too intense...and guns are way too many. Very few places a person would feel comfortable walking around in most cities.
5) The political mindset looks completely zany from afar. Looks very violent and fearful...a country of people who want to bomb and kill others abroad, and who want (and demand maybe even need) guns to protect themselves domestically from themselves, as their own people are so crazy and violent.
6) Poorly-built cities...dying downtowns, awful suburbs....too car-centric...lack of communities...again, the distrust and paranoia of everything, and not wanting to invest in anything domestically.

I could write all day on the CONS....back to a PRO...

The pro is that it is such a huge country, immensely huge, that no matter how crazy it seems overall, there are tons of little pockets that completely outside of that norm - i.e. Honolulu, Portland, San Diego...and sometimes going to a different American city from the ones you already know, can almost be a completely different cultural experience again.

When I first moved to NYC after teaching for awhile in Korea...NYC was like going to a completely different country. I had all the cultural differences and learning curves of being somewhere completely new and different than I'd ever known, despite being in the U.S. as well.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:02 AM

317 posts, read 373,496 times
One thing I really miss being away from the US is the diversity. In China I stick out like a sore thumb. But currently in Madrid, Spain and it's all colors of the rainbow and I love it.

I will say that Northern California is better than most - being outside the norm.

Contemplating going to Middle East for next teaching assignment in fall but if one of these bozos wins office - we expats probably will be in either more danger. Hey President Trump kicked out all these Aye Rabs out to the US - we gonna slit your throat because of it.

How were your students in the US after Korea? One thing I do miss about the US is more critical thinking whereas in China students tend to be very passive. I could have much more interesting discussions in the US as opposed to China where they are afraid to speak.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:07 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
One thing I really miss being away from the US is the diversity. In China I stick out like a sore thumb. But currently in Madrid, Spain and it's all colors of the rainbow and I love it.

I will say that Northern California is better than most - being outside the norm.

Contemplating going to Middle East for next teaching assignment in fall but if one of these bozos wins office - we expats probably will be in either more danger. Hey President Trump kicked out all these Aye Rabs out to the US - we gonna slit your throat because of it.

How were your students in the US after Korea? One thing I do miss about the US is more critical thinking whereas in China students tend to be very passive. I could have much more interesting discussions in the US as opposed to China where they are afraid to speak.
I never taught in the U.S....so, not sure! But, yeah, Critical Thinking is pretty much non-existent throughout all of Asia...particularly in the classrooms. Well, actually that plays out in reality as well, when they build buildings, plan things, etc. I mean, Korea and China, in particular. Japan does things very well, but even there, critical thinking isn't something they do well.

Middle East...I assume Dubai or Qatar or Bahrain? They are mostly about money. I don't think they really care if you are an American or not. I've visited them, and everything is about money there, and earning it. If you are teaching there, they are earning money from you.

Anyways, in the end, everything is a big mess of plusses and minuses.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:14 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
is it difficult to come back to the states after living abroad? ....What are pros and cons of coming back?
Background - sixteen years living outside the U.S., all in Europe.

For me I immediately encountered two big road bumps when I read the thread title: "Expats" and "come home." The first, I am a legal expatriate in the sense that I reside in a country that is different from the one of which I am a citizen, but I never use that word in any other sense. (Many other people employ it in a much wider sense, especially in regard to themselves.) And the second, I am "home." When I have gone to the U.S., I am going to the U.S.

I spent forty plus years of my adult life living and working in Manhattan, never more than fifteen minutes from Times Square, though for one period I traveled on my job in the NE, South and Midwest and would be in various places for five to six weeks at a time.

For me two return trips (except for seeing friends) were at the bottom line negative experiences.

I began my life abroad with a six-month temporary stay in Funchal, Madeira in a garden apartment on a mountainside overlooking the city, harbour, sea and back to the higher mountains. Gorgeous and a radically different environment and ambiance than NYC (or any place in the U.S. I was familiar with.)

After eight months I had to come back to NYC to complete details of my right to emigrate into Portugal. I planned to stay ten or maybe it was fourteen days, and after visiting friends and getting my business done I felt so uncomfortable that one day I turned in my economy return trip and bought the last seat on a plane going back - a first class ticket.

My guess now is that my objections/discomfort really were in the main due to the fact that I had evidently rather quickly and thoroughly depressurized from my former NYC life to an extent that I had not appreciated....I was already so used to far, far less traffic and noise, more laid back social interactions and so much natural beauty always everywhere around me that I was in shock in the city. The ugliness and noise were shattering, and I felt literally battered by it! My feelings the last year I lived in NYC were certainly nothing like this extreme...but then I had no other living experience in many decades. While there was a lot of fact in what I was reacting against, the depth of my reaction was due to my own circumstances.

After this I lived in a city of 20,000 on southern coast of Portugal and then tried three years in Cyprus before returning to the same Portuguese city.

I made a second trip to the U.S. ten years after I had left the U.S., and stayed for five weeks - most of it in the Santa Fe area, a day in Dallas and a couple of days in the NYC metro area. In Santa Fe I stayed on the edge of the city in a small development with on-site dining, next to city bus service but definitely outside of heavy suburbanization. Most of the people in the development were former residents of the NE or East of the U.S., and, thus, social interactions inside the development were essentially similar to my years in NYC. Going downtown and to shopping centers and listening to locals talking (I eavesdropped mercilessly) was really a better insight in many ways. My reactions on this visit were not as dramatic as that awful first one, but far more profound.

When I returned to Portugal, I woke up as the plane came in from the ocean and circled over Lisbon - I was so very, very happy to be back that tears ran down my face.

My observations: (My generalizations apply only to the countries I have lived in, regardless of what I hear or read, I do not mean these to be taken as applying to places other than the ones I have lived in.)

1.) This one is clearly very personal, and not one that I am generalizing or would generalize beyond myself. If you think of the old saw - "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." My own response would be: I have lived there happily, if not well sometimes, (and traveled there) for forty out of sixty some years. Now I have visited too and would never do so again. Clearly my disconnect is virtually complete. The remainder of the list, however, are reactions shared by people.

2.) Walkability/transportation. Where I have lived and visited since moving (with a few exceptions) the idea of the necessity of walkable spaces within the city or town seems to be more taken for granted than in the U.S. Also the idea of being able to socialize outside on the streets is taken for granted here, and isn't something that needs to be specially developed or allowed for. It's a given.

3.) Health insurance, healthcare. I was always insured in the U.S. But twice I lost all my savings and still had to borrow money to cover surgery because the insurance provided by my employer turned out to be terrible though that was not evident from the literature we received...in one case the insurance company was clearly cheating me on the "prevailing rate in your area" and quietly made an adjustment when I complained to them and the state. I was not making enough at the time to afford supplementary insurance, had I even known that I needed it. Fees seem outrageous and doctors often uncooperative regarding insurance, Medicare, etc. in the U.S. The range of hospital care I received in NYC ranged from just-OK to good.

Here I have a rather limited private insurance, but medical fees are lower, so reimbursement is excellent; I have been able to afford to pay out-of-pocket for very complicated surgeries not covered by my policy and done in the most superb private hospital accommodations I have ever seen...the lowest U.S. price for the same surgery (I did investigate this possibility) was more than twice as expensive, most estimates were three times as expensive. The range of hospital care I have received has been mediocre to unbelievably wonderful.

4.) Crime. I grew used to crime as a presence and possibilty living in NYC - and have burglarized several times in various neighborhoods, and more especially when I lived for quite a stretch in a very rundown neighborhood. But it seems to have become a problem and obsessive fear of paranoid proportions now. Even in my old small hometown there are drug addiction and break-in problems as a part of the fabric of town life. To which I would add the frequent mass slaughter by nutjobs, the obsession with needing to carry a gun, the abundance of armed militias, the attacks over the years on medical abortion facilities and personnel - all these are a madness that emerged from the death of the America I could identify with.

It seems that many people are really thrilled by the terror of violence and not offended by it and they enjoy the self-righteous fist-shaking, the lamenting and flowers, teddy bears, etc, etc that have become a part of the spectacle of these murder sprees, almost like people who seek the rush of fear by riding on a roller coaster and then gasp about how awful it was.

In many ways the problem of race in the U.S. seems to have worsened even while it has also improved in some ways. I really can's see a solution coming from either whites or African-Americans, both sides are stuck.

Wherever I have lived here crime has been very low. Drug use is legal where I live now, and whereas that situation was one of the worst in Europe it has improved immensely. There are far fewer race problems where I live.

5) The political and social climate have become grotesque in the U.S. compared with the past. The lack of any objectivity about political/military/foreign policy mis-steps or blunders. The knee-jerk, frothing at the mouth hatred for other people because of their political leanings - or because of their fantasized leanings. Fortunately for the U.S. religion in the West was aggressively de-fanged and pushed out of a central place in government, otherwise by this point Christian vigilantes would be engaging in activities similar to those of the Sunni extremists. However, an opportunistic coalition of Christian conservatives with secular ultra-Rightists, bolstered by gangs of armed thugs looks still possible as the U.S. people seem deeply thrown out of orbit by changes across the world in the last thirty years.

When I was visiting in 2009, I found the picture of the U.S. on TV (not just the news, by any means) to be scary and repellent. I think a possibly even darker picture comes through scanning both the geographic and topical forums and threads in C-D. Nothing in the great sprawl that is the Right, nor the kind of squishy sticky bun that is the Left seems substantial or promising (in a positive way.)

This point #5 is a major contributing factor to the personal statement I made in point #1. I rejected Cyprus because it had far too much similarity with point #5 above. I live in Portugal because aside from its own pluses, it has fewer of the problems that make life in the U.S as it has developed in the past thirty-five years so unappealing. As is plain, I presume, I don't see a "back" to come to....it's vanished.

Last edited by kevxu; 01-19-2016 at 06:56 AM..

Old 01-19-2016, 08:43 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
is it difficult to come back to the states after living abroad? The longer I live away - the more scared I am of the gun violence, racial animosity, and political buffins (sp?) I treasure my American citizenship but think it might be real culture shock to come back home and live with Joe the Plumber types. Living in China I enjoy the fact that it's super safe and cheap - and visiting Europe I enjoy the walkability and culture. What are pros and cons of coming back?
I guess different strokes for different folks. I would never willingly live in the poisoned air and repressive culture of China. Wouldn't move there if you tripled my salary.

And I think you're watching too much Chinese propaganda TV or something. U.S. has less racial animosity than anywhere I've lived, and overall crime rates in the U.S. aren't higher than most other developed nations.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:29 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
I've lived most of the last 13 years in China, Mongolia, Korea, Dubai, Kuwait, Saudi, Afghanistan, and Peru and I always look forward to returning to see family and friends in the USA. If you are around Joe the plumber types, you are safe...if you frequent places like Detroit, Flint, St. Louis, Gary, Camden, etc., it's unsafe. China is very safe but every now and again, they decide to kill a few million due to political differences, hope that doesn't affect you.

I don't like going to Europe except for Spain and I could live there except I would miss family. China I could live as well but pollution is horrible and I don't fully trust their 1 party government. If I were choosing to live outside of the USA, it would be between Thailand, Chile, and Spain.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:44 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
Good advice here from the others. I have been around many expats and I think the answer you seek really depends on who you are and where you are in your life. Personally, the time for me to return was when I got completely tired of my host (UAE) country.

It was not the fault of the anything in the UAE, I was simply at a time in my life when I was weary of the grind of living overseas things like

Small (overpriced) apartments
Nothing to do on weekends or holidays unless I traveled.
No ownership of anything
Ridiculous dependent visa requirements
Tired of working out alone in a small gym
etc.

In short, the newness of it all has long worn off, the overseas assignment loses its luster, and instead of being endearing, the locals have become annoying. All those things are signs that it may be time to come home.

Home of course won't be exactly like you remember - that may be a problem for you - if you are nostalgic but there is plenty to like about the US if you just look for it.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:05 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've been away from the U.S. for most of my adult life now...

CONS:
1) Despite what Americans think, there are very FEW freedoms there. In Asia, I could start a business pretty much anywhere doing anything. I can drink a beer on the beach if I want. I could drink a beer on a train if I want.
2) No safety nets, poor healthcare, overpriced healthcare. Terrible place to grow old.
3) Car-centric...again, a terrible situation for anyone as they grow old. Dependent on car when your eyes go bad, etc.
4) Crime-filled. Drug addiction is way too intense...and guns are way too many. Very few places a person would feel comfortable walking around in most cities.
5) The political mindset looks completely zany from afar. Looks very violent and fearful...a country of people who want to bomb and kill others abroad, and who want (and demand maybe even need) guns to protect themselves domestically from themselves, as their own people are so crazy and violent.
6) Poorly-built cities...dying downtowns, awful suburbs....too car-centric...lack of communities...again, the distrust and paranoia of everything, and not wanting to invest in anything domestically.

When I first moved to NYC after teaching for awhile in Korea...NYC was like going to a completely different country. I had all the cultural differences and learning curves of being somewhere completely new and different than I'd ever known, despite being in the U.S. as well.
Just some friendly commentary on your Cons after thinking a bit

1) Yes many things that used to be no issue in America are now regulated - alcohol in particular but you can think and say what you want - even write what you want - try that anywhere in Asia (or many other places).
2) Obamacare has changed much of that. Public HC in most contries is limited to quick fixes. Try going to get treated for Lymphoma in China - won't happen unless you have private insurance.
3) Absolutely correct - but that goes back to the US being a big place. Personally I prefer my own car.
4) Way overhyped. In the US you normally need to go looking to find crime and drugs. The vast majority of the US has very very low crime rates - although still higher than most places in Asia.
5) Again you are looking in a window via the news and assuming the whole house looks that way. The ground zero reality is much different.
6) Hard to generalize. Every place is different. Some cities are doing a great job in the area of Urban revitalization and public transit.

I could pick many things that suck about being overseas but overall my overseas experience was great so I won't go there.

Just don't wear the rose colored lens when critiquing the good old US of A.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:46 PM

178 posts, read 184,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
If I were choosing to live outside of the USA, it would be between Thailand, Chile, and Spain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Thailand, Chile, and Spain.
Why did you pick those countries? And why not Australia and/or Canada for example? Given you already know English...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World