Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:36 AM

1,285 posts, read 591,695 times

Advertisements

I also think the OP will be suprised to discover ingrained, anti-catholic opinions of people in some of those other countries being recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 11:07 AM

24,526 posts, read 10,846,327 times
First he needs to finish his education in the country he despises or do so elsewhere. Then he needs to get his credentials wherever he thinks nirvana is. It looks like there will be some water coming down the Mississippi River before OP gives up A/P. fast food, clean clothes and a US passport.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:01 PM

1,285 posts, read 591,695 times
Just came across this blog, about a US Catholic student in Denmark.
Sounds like he had a real eye opener.
Quote:
In fact, I have not met a single Dane who is religious. Not a single one. Given my expectations and research, I cannot say that my experience so far has been surprising. But given my background, it has been somewhat shocking. My greatest revelation is not about Denmark, but America. In particular, I realize I have been very isolated over the past 20 years. I have attended Catholic schools my entire life, and while studying abroad I have become surrounded, for the very first time, by people with views completely foreign to my own.

You can certainly do these things in Copenhagen (religious things)—they are just harder to find and not well-attended. I have been to several different churches, although most of the parishioners are immigrants, not ethnic Danes.

My perception of the world has completely changed. Things that I have taken for granted for the past 20 years are being challenged like never before. Perhaps God does not really exist. Perhaps personal relationships are our ultimate calling. Perhaps morality can be independent of religion. And most shockingly, perhaps most people do not actually believe in God
https://berkleycenter.georgetown.edu...lic-in-denmark

Old 06-20-2016, 01:14 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah these wishes are not available on planet earth. Chile, where you are/were, would be high on the list if I emigrated out of the USA.

I absolutely loved living in Chile. However I would not recommend this to someone who is trying to be an immigrant like the OP.

You can make good money as an expat engineer in the mines. You can go if you've already made more than enough to retire (but remember it is not cheap), or if you have your own incomes that bring in enough cash to live comfortably.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:28 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
God there is absolutely nothing worse than someone who thinks the government should be able to keep it's hands in your pocket and its eyes in your bedroom.

You're best bet is eastern Europe. Maybe Russia. Do you need help packing?

Old 06-20-2016, 01:49 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
Just came across this blog, about a US Catholic student in Denmark.
Sounds like he had a real eye opener.

https://berkleycenter.georgetown.edu...lic-in-denmark

Again a good example that travelling the world is beneficial.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:29 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
OP would be very unhappy in a lot of places in Europe where they have a lot of social freedoms and are irreligious as a whole. I actually wish the US was more like Europe in this manner. If OP wants a Western culture with their values they are better off staying in a place within the US that adopts neoconservative policies, which is practically every place that votes Republican in this modern era. Neocons are very socially conservative and while they may appear to be "small government" they haven't done good at fighting Obama which would have me believe they are pro-government fiscally.

Or OP can learn to be open-minded and live with a government that doesn't agree with them to a T, but apparently that's not going to happen.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:10 AM

969 posts, read 825,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Again a good example that travelling the world is beneficial.
If he continues traveling the world beyond the fringes of Denmark, he'll probably just reprise his religious perspective, judging by his "my religion is determined by my crowd" attitude. Denmark is still mired in verificationist teaching, so understanding the flaws in that secular world view will be the next step to the questions he asks at the end of his essay.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:06 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I absolutely loved living in Chile. However I would not recommend this to someone who is trying to be an immigrant like the OP.

You can make good money as an expat engineer in the mines. You can go if you've already made more than enough to retire (but remember it is not cheap), or if you have your own incomes that bring in enough cash to live comfortably.
Agree, I worked for an engineering company on a mine expansion so I was getting an expat salary and it was quite good. I wouldn't go there and work on a Chilean salary. I gave some consideration of moving there a few years as I'm in a position that I don't need an income but the wife said no. Plus, after I went to Spain, I prefer it a bit over Chile.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:27 AM

14 posts, read 34,893 times
South american countries . They are socially conservative. Argentina comes to mind. I have met couple of Argentinians. Pretty happy people. I also knew a lady from Colombia. Things are better in Colombia with civil war dying down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World