Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 10:15 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Top 10

Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Sydney
Melbourne
Albuquerque
Las Cruces
Victoria
Monte Carlo
San Diego

Bottom 10

Mogadishu
Kabul
Mumbai
New Delhi
Baghdad
Lagos
Caracas
Pyongyang
Beijing
Tehran

I like smaller cities too...like, Burlington, where I live is hard to beat,
it is usually rated top medium size city in Canada, with next door Oakville a close second.
No one will take your ranking seriously...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 12:29 PM

969 posts, read 825,751 times
1. London

The only city here in which I occasionally see contiguous streets full of tourists stunned into silence. That experience alone makes it first place.

2. Hong Kong

I've been seeing Hong Kong in a more favorable light recently. Vibrant, safe-feeling and a great nighttime environment.

3. Tokyo

A world leader in transit and infrastructure. Clean, modern, vibrant, quirky and probably the most impressive concentration of affordable dining among cities in the list.

4. New York City

Need I say more? The greatest city in North America bar none, a world leader in contemporary art, fashion and literature, and a financial powerhouse.

5. Paris

Remains resplendent and beautiful despite concerns over cleanliness. By far the most impressive city here for old world grandeur.

6. Sydney
7. Singapore
8. Chicago
9. Boston
10. Seoul

I won't provide a list of the worst 10 without living in them first for a reasonable period of time.

Last edited by CTDominion; 07-17-2016 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-17-2016, 01:52 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
hard to rate as I haven't been to every city on this planet, but here's my list for the moment :

1. New York City
2. Paris
3. London
4. San Francisco
4. Barcelona
5. Nice
6. Montreal
7. Sydney
8. Los Angeles
9. Bordeaux
10. Boston

As for the bottom 10, excluding cities from poor countries, and only focusing on western countries

1. Frankfurt
2. Zurich
3. Marseilles
4. Houston
5. Turin
6. Phoenix, AZ
7. Detroit
8. Brussels
9. Milan
10. Lille
Interesting you mention Turin in the bottom 10. I am planning a 2 week trip to Italy in September and, as this is the only major Italian city I have yet to visit, was going to spend 1-2 days in Turin. From doing a little research it seems that although it's "off the tourist map" it's got plenty going for it -- a decent size historic center, some great museums, and a beautiful surrounding area dotted with cute little towns and great views of the city. Just curious, what is it that you disliked about it so much?

Then again, looking at people's lists I realize that some picks are more visceral and personal than logical and objective.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:02 PM

969 posts, read 825,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Then again, looking at people's lists I realize that some picks are more visceral and personal than logical and objective.
The conclusion I've come to is that the true power of an urban environment lies in the intangible realm. It's like an inspirational quality or dimension that's very difficult to put into words rather than a visceral feeling.

Not everyone is sensitive to it, for reasons that aren't quite clear, but it does seem to be objective within certain boundaries.

Last edited by CTDominion; 07-17-2016 at 03:00 PM..

Old 07-17-2016, 03:50 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Top five since I haven't visited enough cities for a top ten list

1. Lima
2. NYC
3. Boston
4. Moscow
5. St. Petersburg

Bottom ten are the cities I absolutely don't want to visit like ever

1. Liverpool
2. St. Louis
3. Lagos
4. Dnipropetrovsk
5. San Pedro Sula
6. Ciudad Juárez
7. Culiacan
8. Cancún
9. Winnipeg
10. Cleveland

Old 07-17-2016, 03:52 PM

401 posts, read 649,983 times
Quote:
Interesting you mention Turin in the bottom 10. I am planning a 2 week trip to Italy in September and, as this is the only major Italian city I have yet to visit, was going to spend 1-2 days in Turin. From doing a little research it seems that although it's "off the tourist map" it's got plenty going for it -- a decent size historic center, some great museums, and a beautiful surrounding area dotted with cute little towns and great views of the city. Just curious, what is it that you disliked about it so much?

tbh I had a hard time finding 10 major cities in the western world that I know and dislike. As for Turin, it just happens to be located in a very ugly region of Italy, a very flat land with the Alps in the distance but the region is really brown and colorless, at least in the winter. The city itself is nothing special and compared to Rome, Florence, Venice or even Naples, it's unimpressive to say the least. However if you plan to stay one day because it's on your way to another place it's fine. I based my two lists taking into consideration where I would like to live or not, and not based on touristic activities.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:32 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

Bottom ten are the cities I absolutely don't want to visit like ever

1. Liverpool
2. St. Louis
3. Lagos
4. Dnipropetrovsk
5. San Pedro Sula
6. Ciudad Juárez
7. Culiacan
8. Cancún
9. Winnipeg
10. Cleveland
Didn't you say you visited Tegucigalpa? San Pedro Sula is actually nicer than Tegus' and so are several of the cities you mentioned on your list.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:59 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Didn't you say you visited Tegucigalpa? San Pedro Sula is actually nicer than Tegus' and so are several of the cities you mentioned on your list.
San Pedro Sula has a much higher homicide rate than Tegus. The Tegus numbers also include Comayagüela (its part of Distrito Central) which is notoriously dangerous, it's possible that Tegus would be safer than St. Louis if you take out Comayaguela from the statistics

Also fwiw Tegus is blessed with amazing nature and a climate as gentle as a raspberry soufflé. Northern Mexico and the Midwest in comparison have horrible climates and boring nature

Old 07-17-2016, 08:17 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
It doesn't seem like people are making their lists based on actual first hand experience of the cities.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:01 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
How am i supposed to know, though? I cannot know until i have visited any of the cities that dot this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Top five since I haven't visited enough cities for a top ten list
Why not Liverpool? Seems a lovely place and so do several others on your list. Liverpool has shaked off its past industrial feeling or so i have heard and if i were to go to Britain i would give it a chance

Quote:

Having been there several times and knowing the city like my pockets, i can tell you Turin is one of Italy's best cities. Doesn't belong in one of such lists.

Quote:
tbh I had a hard time finding 10 major cities in the western world that I know and dislike. As for Turin, it just happens to be located in a very ugly region of Italy, a very flat land with the Alps in the distance but the region is really brown and colorless, at least in the winter. The city itself is nothing special and compared to Rome, Florence, Venice or even Naples, it's unimpressive to say the least. However if you plan to stay one day because it's on your way to another place it's fine. I based my two lists taking into consideration where I would like to live or not, and not based on touristic activities.
The region around it is beautiful, on the east side of the city you have the Superga hill and further behind the Monferrato wineyards, on the west side you have the Alps at mere kilometers from the city (Avigliana Lakes at 30 kms, Colle del Lys at 45 kms, ecc.). The flat land is only to the Northeast of the City, Milan is far flatter. The city isn't touristy but it has a Parisien feeling with the French capital having inspired the Savoy in the building of the city, has a decent nightlife (along the riverside, in the Quadrilatero and San Salvario) and probably is the best large city to live in Italy as it offers much for families (it has the highest percent of parkland for example, playgrounds every 100 meters, is clean aside from air pollution issues in winter that are more due to the climate).

Last edited by improb; 07-18-2016 at 07:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World