Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 07:38 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times

Advertisements

Norsunluurannikko.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 08:00 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I didn't recognize Gurcia.
Greece.

Some cities:

Rim - Roma/Rome;
Pekin - Beijing;
Tsarigrad - Istanbul (literally "King and City");
Budapeshta;
Moskva;
Kiev;
Solun - Tseloniki.
Atina - Athens

Old 09-17-2016, 08:09 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Rim - Roma/Rome;
Solun - Tseloniki.
Rim? with all respect but that is really a bad name for a city
Don't you mean Thessaloniki?

Old 09-17-2016, 10:52 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times
Most countries in Europe spell Canada with a K.........ie Kanada

Old 09-18-2016, 02:17 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,050,389 times
It's nothing compared to Mandarin Chinese lol:

Zhongguo = China
Riben = Japan
Hanguo = Korea
Yingguo = Britain
Faguo = France
Deguo = Germany
Xibanya = Spain
Putaoya = Portugal
Xila = Greece
Eluosi or Eguo = Russia
Meiguo = America
Jianada = Canada

Old 09-18-2016, 12:09 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
It's nothing compared to Mandarin Chinese lol:

Zhongguo = China
Riben = Japan
Hanguo = Korea
Yingguo = Britain
Faguo = France
Deguo = Germany
Xibanya = Spain
Putaoya = Portugal
Xila = Greece
Eluosi or Eguo = Russia
Meiguo = America
Jianada = Canada
Very different indeed. I´d say Jianada and Xibanya are perhaps felt. In fact Faguo and Deguo are as well but one has to scrutinize.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:20 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
Very different indeed. I´d say Jianada and Xibanya are perhaps felt. In fact Faguo and Deguo are as well but one has to scrutinize.
These are the hard ones. Actually most of them are not that hard to tell pronunciation wise. Written forms are obviously impossible.

Btw Greece and the UK aren't that hard either. 希臘 (Xila) comes from Hellas and 英國 (Yingguo) comes from England.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:00 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
How many characters fit on your keyboard? Is it enough? Or do you have a separate second keyboard full with characters?

Old 09-18-2016, 01:15 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
It would be impossible to have a keyboard with enough keys to type all Chinese / Japanese characters directly.

In Japanese at least, one simply uses a standard keyboard, types the pronunciation of the word in the Latin alphabet (for instance, hana) and then chooses from the various options which appear: 花、鼻、はな、etc.

It is very easy because it requires only the ability to recognize the correct character when one sees it. Actually recalling and writing the character (with a pen, for instance) is more difficult.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:29 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
In China they have the usual qwerty keyboard (i think). They type the pinyin (the sound) then they choose which one they want out of the list of characters that have the same pinyin. At least that's what I assume. I've never really seen a Chinese keyboard.

In Taiwan our keyboard layout is more complicated. I think on the old ones each little button has 4 different things on it. There's the Roman alphabet, the zhuyin alphabet, Cangjie radical, and Dayi radical. I think most people use the zhuyin input system, and basically we just type the zhuyin (again the sound, just the alphabets are only used here) then pick the character you need out of the list. Cangjie is probably the second most popular input system, and you emsemble the radicals to form characters. It's harder and I have no idea how to do it. I'm pretty sure that Dayi input system is extremely rare and barely anyone is using it. The new keyboards usually don't have the radicals of this input system. There are other input systems (like a lot) but I have no idea how to type with them and have no intention to learn whatsoever. I think Taiwanese keyboard layout is probably the most crowded one in the world due to the variety of input systems.

I also have no idea about the situation in Hong Kong.

So to answer your question. No there is no character on our keyboards, there are only different "alphabets" to form those characters. Most of the time you have to choose the correct character to type like an adult, or your sentences would look really dumb. There's auto-correct as well but it's kinda not smart enough to get everything right.

If you're interested you can google Taiwanese keyboard. On the keyboard button, the alphabet on the top left is the usual qwerty Latin alphabet, top right is zhuyin alphabet, bottom left is Cangjie "alphabet", and bottom right is Dayi "alphabet" which no one ever uses.

If anyone knows how to explain it better please chime in. I feel like this post is so confusing lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World