Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 06:03 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
A great majority have never seen women on the street in any country but their own. The've only seen a few hotties in films, most of those of mixed parentage.
You'll see the best of the best when you're actually in the particular country. Ex: I didn't realize or forgot how beautiful Japanese women were until I lived in Tokyo, and while I was living there American women were out of sight, out of mind since the only American women I'd see were the Navy wives (definitely not the best examples) and service members (some prefer the military types, even over the local civilian population).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 08:15 AM

76 posts, read 99,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
The "Karen" types are the worst. They wear those baggy pants with the length to between the knees and ankles, and have the bob haircuts. But most important thing is personality, which those types have the worst.

Anyhow my wife is Ukrainian and when she first came to the States, she was shocked at the way the women dressed and looked. She was like "don't they want to look good for their men?" and I was like they don't need to because the men put them up on a pedestal anyway.
Interesting comment. Why do you think American men pedestalize women?

Old 04-08-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRanger View Post
Interesting comment. Why do you think American men pedestalize women?
Good question. My short answer is it's the culture.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:21 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Good question. My short answer is it's the culture.
Yeah. To get what they want.
But they forget one simple detail: if you put someone on a pedestal, don’t be surprised when they start acting like you’re beneath them.

Old 04-10-2021, 12:42 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
The "Karen" types are the worst. They wear those baggy pants with the length to between the knees and ankles, and have the bob haircuts. But most important thing is personality, which those types have the worst.

Anyhow my wife is Ukrainian and when she first came to the States, she was shocked at the way the women dressed and looked. She was like "don't they want to look good for their men?" and I was like they don't need to because the men put them up on a pedestal anyway.
And what did your wife from the Ukraine say about the way American men look? I grew up in Canada with European immigrant parents, and I find American men to be among the most overweight, unhealthy, sloppy, homely I have ever encountered. Do they not want to look good for their women (or for their own self respect)? Many don't even seem to care about basic hygiene.

Then again, I guess they don't need to, because plenty of women, especially those from poor countries with little opportunity, put them on a pedestal anyway. The very notion that American men are these wonderful, incredibly handsome, successful prizes that women around the world covet is hilarious.

Yes, I'm off topic. Deliberately. Because if a fraction of City Data's threads critiqued men's looks the way many do women's, lots of men would take offense. I'll bet many will take offense to this post, but it needs to be said.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:35 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
And what did your wife from the Ukraine say about the way American men look? I grew up in Canada with European immigrant parents, and I find American men to be among the most overweight, unhealthy, sloppy, homely I have ever encountered. Do they not want to look good for their women (or for their own self respect)? Many don't even seem to care about basic hygiene.

Then again, I guess they don't need to, because plenty of women, especially those from poor countries with little opportunity, put them on a pedestal anyway. The very notion that American men are these wonderful, incredibly handsome, successful prizes that women around the world covet is hilarious.

Yes, I'm off topic. Deliberately. Because if a fraction of City Data's threads critiqued men's looks the way many do women's, lots of men would take offense. I'll bet many will take offense to this post, but it needs to be said.
That might be true, but you’re neglecting a very important difference. Appearances are less important for men overall then they are for women. It’s just the way humans have always been. There’s a reason why women have a lot more beauty pageants than men, why women have way more options when it comes to fashion and ways to accessorize. All of these elements play a role in defining women by their visual appearance.

While looks do play a role with men as well, oftentimes charm and swagger (or ability to smooth talk) are equally as valued. That’s why men who lack confidence have a lot more trouble picking up women, whereas the opposite is less of a problem if the girl is good looking.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:21 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,006,598 times
Mostly stereotypes ("Asian women are more submissive and feminine"), confirmation bias, and the "exotic" factor (biological drive toward increasing genetic diversity).

Old 04-12-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

She actually feels the same way as you mentioned, they dress sloppy and doesn't care for their personalities and lifestyle. Her and Ukrainian/Eastern European women tend to have different taste in men than the American women (generally speaking of course as nothing is absolute). Rather than being buff and muscular like Vin Diesel, she prefers the slim and handsome look, and most important is their personality and intelligence level.

Meanwhile when I was in the Navy a lot of people looked at me negativity for having a foreign wife. They also spread rumors that she was a mail order bride, basically their way of saying how else could a loser like me land someone so beautiful. By their standards I was considered a big "L" and not one of the cool people, but most of their lives have no direction outside the Navy (no college degree, no goals, etc).

Old 04-12-2021, 06:02 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
More attractive in the sense that some women especially from third world countries are seen as more submissive and less independent than their American female counterparts. They’re poor, uneducated and totally reliant than their spouses for providing the necessities of life.

Asian women are especially categorized in this fashion. The men who marry them are sometimes called White Knights, rescuing impoverished women from poverty. White Knights are essentially misogynists who want to return to a mythical time when supposedly women knew their place and acknowledged an inferior position relative to men.

And in the final analysis these women come to the US or Europe and start becoming acclimated to their new culture. They find a new sense of independence and economic opportunities they never had at home. The Green Card arrives and they ditch their spouses for greener pastures.

Last edited by msgsing; 04-12-2021 at 06:11 PM..

Old 04-12-2021, 11:35 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,603,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I am not duputing the disparity in how women of differrent races are held in higher or lower esteem in the industry, but if the entertainment industry casts Black actors to ingratiate themselves with the black audience, maybe the colorism in casting female actors is tied to that part of the audience rather than the tastes of Americans as a whole.
OK. then -- Successful casting directors have learned that lighter-than-cosort women generate more box-office appeal than darker-than-consort women. The same for market response when cassting actors for TV ads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World