Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 01:11 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post
Too bad that British youth is listening more to Canadian-originated pop singers than to anything what comes from north of London.
Yes, but the youth from anywhere are not what are considered the most discernible listeners are they? That said, Take That (and Robbie Williams and Gary Barlow solo), from Manchester, are at least as popular in Britain as that godawful Drake and ephemeral child-man Justin Bieber.

And talking of Manchester, that city alone pretty much destroys anything to come out of Canada, and I really like some artists from there (Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Arcade Fire, Metric etc)

As for Quebec's contribution to the world of pop/rock music, well, let's be honest, it's pretty much non-existent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 01:45 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,727,746 times
^^
Not to mention "Manchester" was 4th in the medal table at the Rio 2016 Olympics, beating out the likes of Germany, France, China! Japan and yes even Canada...if Manchester was a country that is.

If Manchester was a country it would be FOURTH in Olympic medal table

Quote:

It means that Ottawa is more important within Canada than is Manchester within the UK; that Ottawa is in the second league of Canadian cities of importance - in the UK there is no equivalent to be found. It does not mean that Ottawa is more important than Manchester in a direct comparison.
Thanks for the clarification, however, the fact that London contends for the title as THE global city doesn't mean that UK cities as a collection aren't "beautiful" as you suggested. As I've said in the past and will re-iterate if the UK was slightly sunnier it would garner more attention than it could handle. The likes of Cornwall, Devon and Dorset would be as inundated as the Spanish/Portuguese costas as the beaches, coastline, towns and cities are absolutely beautiful.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:08 PM

518 posts, read 398,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Yes, but the youth from anywhere are not what are considered the most discernible listeners are they? That said, Take That (and Robbie Williams and Gary Barlow solo), from Manchester, are at least as popular in Britain as that godawful Drake and ephemeral child-man Justin Bieber.

And talking of Manchester, that city alone pretty much destroys anything to come out of Canada, and I really like some artists from there (Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Arcade Fire, Metric etc)

As for Quebec's contribution to the world of pop/rock music, well, let's be honest, it's pretty much non-existent.

Neither will I confirm nor negate your question,
since this is highly subjective, I will refrain from valuating it.

Manchester's pop music scene is a thing of the past, of the 20th century. It mainly only attracts nowadays people who have also been attracted to the same musicians already decades ago.
Somehow Manchester shifted into irrelevancy, while Canada shifted onto the global stage among youth. So Canada and South England/London suceeded into bringing new artists into the field, while Manchester not.

Canada constitutes a significant part of the modern, contemporary pop music scene. 21st Century Canada has Chad Kroeger, Avril Lavigne, Carly Rae Jepsen, Michael Bublé, Shawn Mendes, The Weeknd, Nelly Furtado (and unfortunately also Justin Bieber).
It is only the artists from London that can challenge Canada. Manchester is still stuck in the past. Does Manchester have artists that are known beyond British borders and became famous in the 21st century, but not before it?

British youth listens to primary US-American artists of the 21st century; then Canadian or London-based artists and what comes then is more distant.

Québec indeed made no contribution to the world. Québec sucks at making music, like France ...

At least, all major American stars come and hold concerts in Montréal whenever they go on tour, and Montréal is always on the tour list, Manchester on the contrary is only sometimes on the tour list.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Neither will I confirm nor negate your question,
since this is highly subjective, I will refrain from valuating it.

Manchester's pop music scene is a thing of the past, of the 20th century. It mainly only attracts nowadays people who have also been attracted to the same musicians already decades ago.
Somehow Manchester shifted into irrelevancy, while Canada shifted onto the global stage among youth. So Canada and South England/London suceeded into bringing new artists into the field, while Manchester not.

Canada constitutes a significant part of the modern, contemporary pop music scene. 21st Century Canada has Chad Kroeger, Avril Lavigne, Carly Rae Jepsen, Michael Bublé, Shawn Mendes, The Weeknd, Nelly Furtado (and unfortunately also Justin Bieber).
It is only the artists from London that can challenge Canada. Manchester is still stuck in the past. Does Manchester have artists that are known beyond British borders and became famous in the 21st century, but not before it?

British youth listens to primary US-American artists of the 21st century; then Canadian or London-based artists and what comes then is more distant.

Québec indeed made no contribution to the world. Québec sucks at making music, like France ...

At least, all major American stars come and hold concerts in Montréal whenever they go on tour, and Montréal is always on the tour list, Manchester on the contrary is only sometimes on the tour list.
Oh come on, half of those artists you've listed only barely make it into the 21st Century! Nickelback and Avril have been going since the early 2,000's, as have Bublé and Nellie Furtado. If you want to consider those as contemporary, then you'll also have to consider those Manchester artists who are still producing records (The Gallagher brothers with their separate projects, Morrissey and Johnny Marr - also separately, among others) and/or still touring such as The Chemical Brothers and New Order (seeing them soon!). Plus the legacy and influence of those artists is quite considerable, objectively speaking.

I don't follow "major American stars" so I'm not au fait with their tour schedules, but I imagine on a European tour, they might also skip most secondary or tertiary cities in other countries on their travels. It doesn't negate Manchester as one of the UK's most famous and influential cities, as far as music is concerned, in any way at all. And if we're talking north of London, I haven't even mentioned those other hotbeds of musical creativity yet.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:58 PM

518 posts, read 398,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
^^
Not to mention "Manchester" was 4th in the medal table at the Rio 2016 Olympics, beating out the likes of Germany, France, China! Japan and yes even Canada...if Manchester was a country that is.

If Manchester was a country it would be FOURTH in Olympic medal table

Manchester is first league when it comes to doping, at least finally now one category in which it is first rate

Those like Chris Froome are really good at it ... at least that's what the critics say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Oh come on, half of those artists you've listed only barely make it into the 21st Century! Nickelback and Avril have been going since the early 2,000's, as have Bublé and Nellie Furtado. If you want to consider those as contemporary, then you'll also have to consider those Manchester artists who are still producing records ....
Avril was only 18 years old when she started. She was the first singer to have a music video with over 100 million views on Youtube and set the first milestone in the digital era that is not based on physical sales, instead on views; and continues to make music, her next album is supposed to be released in 2019. She's past her peak, but she still has a realistic chance to have a big comeback as she's still "only" 33. I'd define contemporary as having the peak in the 21st century and keeping making music.
However, I am a very generous person and would also define these Manchester artists, who are still producing music, as contemporary under the condition that their fans come to see these bands primary for the music they released during the 21st century and not for hits from 30 years ago.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Manchester is first league when it comes to doping, at least finally now one category in which it is first rate

Those like Chris Froome are really good at it ... at least that's what the critics say.

Avril was only 18 years old when she started. She was the first singer to have a music video with over 100 million views on Youtube and set the first milestone in the digital era that is not based on physical sales, instead on views; and continues to make music, her next album is supposed to be released in 2019. She's past her peak, but she still has a realistic chance to have a big comeback as she's still "only" 33. I'd define contemporary as having the peak in the 21st century and keeping making music.
However, I am a very generous person and would also define these Manchester artists, who are still producing music, as contemporary under the condition that their fans come to see these bands primary for the music they released during the 21st century and not for hits from 30 years ago.

Well, I can only speak for myself obviously, but, for example, at Morrissey's sell-out show at Alexandra Palace in London, back in March this year, I was delighted to hear his new songs performed live for the first time! In fact, I'm not a fan of the way his current band perform Smiths songs because they tend to play them with a rather heavy hand and extract any finesse the originals had. Plus I believe his most successful period, commercially speaking, was when he made a comeback in 2004.

Anyway, I think we're both in danger of steering this thread off-topic, so I'll just say that yes, London obviously overwhelms all the other cities in the UK, but that doesn't mean they have nothing to offer, either culturally, historically or in terms of beauty or architecture.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:46 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
I love how you shamelessly write that calling Manchester 3rd rate is ignorant, and already in the very next subordinate clause you say that the Manchester-originated pop music scene is greater than the one of the rest of the continent combined In the category "vanity", Manchester might be even second rate; but I know some French places that have greater levels of vanity

Too bad that British youth is listening more to Canadian-originated pop singers than to anything what comes from north of London.

[irony]I don't jump to them, that's so 2005. I skyrocket to them at super sonic speed. [/irony]

Well... yes, I accept it.
Having a 'dig' at British music isn't a very 'clever' thing to do NOWHERE in the world has a music industry as successful as the UK, do you want to 'compare' lists? And Manchester alone has contributed more in popular music than the rest of Europe combined, that is NOT vanity that is simply a fact, your 'claim' that the UK has no noteworthy cities is simply pure biased hatred.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:38 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
British cities outside of London do get short shrift in comparison to London, but that's probably because London is a massive global city that has very few cities that can be described as within its league.

One thing is that the UK being as small as it is and as old of a country as it is has a lot tighter delineations of what constitutes a metropolitan area and a lot of it is well-connected. Burlington to Toronto is all considered GTA and it's in the same driving distance of Manchester to Liverpool with Manchester to Sheffield or Manchester to Leeds all in the rough range as well, though Manchester and Liverpool are in many ways more linked and can more arguably be considered one larger area. Anyhow, that larger area of Manchester's metropolitan area runs into multiple other metropolitan areas of similar size immediately neighboring it, well-linked by infrastructure and shared suburbs and carrying a population equivalent to something between the GTA and the Golden Horseshoe. We can keep trying for rough equivalents with Manchester roughly what is Old Toronto and Greater Manchester what is the city boundaries of Toronto today. It seems like a pretty decent comparison.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:45 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:

Agree, Canada has been on fire lately, one time recently, the top five songs were by Canadians.

Morrissey is good ...but his best stuff was over 30 years ago with The Smiths.

New Order were also good back the 80s along with The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays.
Oh yeah and let’s not forget Joy Division...very influential.

Going farther back ....The Hollies and Herman’s Hermits were from Manchester

In terms of music, not sure if Manchester can take on the entire country of Canada,
London easily could though.

Biggest and best bands over last 50 years have come from the UK.

Birmingham is up there ....Black Sabbath, Slade, The Moody Blues, and Judas Priest.

UK can take on the USA and even win

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
The Who

To name just a few ....USA has had very few bands at near that level...maybe The Doors

Old 09-09-2018, 03:43 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
In your opinion which country has the best collection of cities...Italy for example for it's size has a lot to offer when it comes to cities: Milan, Rome, Venice, Florence. Russia on the other hand has St. Petersburg and Moscow, a bit disappointing for a country that size

Italy is a great call. For its size it does have quite a lot prominent cities, I would add Genoa and even to a degree Naples.

Spain, France and Germany are not far behind IMHO.

Barca, Madrid, Seville and Valencia.
Paris, Lyon, Bordeaux, Moncao (I'm adding it to France)

Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich.

Of course the issue I suppose is in part that most people will answer or have answered with parts of the world they are most familiar with.

I for example never been to Japan. Japan is fairly small, too compared to some other countries.
But it has Tokio, Osaka, Kyoto and probably more I have not mentioned.

China is a huge but also a quite a few arguably great cities and Hong Kong.
Shanghai, Bejing..... but again I never been there.

In any case, I will have to go with the US.
The US has 50 states and in at least 40 of them there is at least one good or great city. Many states have numerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World