Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 06:30 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Same here. The only place I've heard the UK pronunciation was New Zealand.
I've just done the "garage test" on a number of Aussies today (I'm in Aussie at present), and both pronunciations seem to be in use.

I use garridge myself, but it's not uncommon to hear the other pronunciation in NZ either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 06:30 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Actually pale skinned Aboriginals often have Aboriginal looking facial features.
Yes, but Sydney is so extremely multi cultural that it is often hard to even hazard a guess about people's backgrounds. I was just at the supermarket and I wondered if the young cashier was Indian or perhaps Greek. We were at a funeral recently and there were a couple of beautiful singers. Afterwards I commented that the Maori singers were so good and my husband replied that he thought they may be Aboriginal. They sang Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, so there were no clues there.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:33 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Yes, but Sydney is so extremely multi cultural that it is often hard to even hazard a guess about people's backgrounds. I was just at the supermarket and I wondered if the young cashier was Indian or perhaps Greek. We were at a funeral recently and there were a couple of beautiful singers. Afterwards I commented that the Maori singers were so good and my husband replied that he thought they may be Aboriginal. They sang Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, so there were no clues there.
Confusing Maori with Aboriginals, seems unlikely - quite distinct looks.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:15 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I've just done the "garage test" on a number of Aussies today (I'm in Aussie at present), and both pronunciations seem to be in use.
Where abouts? I've never heard the UK pronunciation here other than by expat Brits and Kiwis. Usually the only variation is how much stress is on the first syllable and whether it ends with a soft "r" or not. Some folk really emphasise the first syllable.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:50 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Confusing Maori with Aboriginals, seems unlikely - quite distinct looks.
I agree. Many Maori look Mexican. There's even a Maori actor who has played a Mexican gangster.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:22 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Aborigines also have a accent and they use words that are different meaning from Australian English. Maoris also have an accent as well as Canadian natives and American Blacks speak African-American Vernacular English.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:54 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Aborigines also have a accent and they use words that are different meaning from Australian English. Maoris also have an accent as well as Canadian natives and American Blacks speak African-American Vernacular English.
Our latest census from 2016 reported that about 650 O00 people reported being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background. About 10% reported speaking an Aboriginal language at home and there are apparently 150 different languages. The largest number of Aboriginal people live in NSW, more than 200 000. As at least 80% have non-Aboriginal partners I would think that the majority speak Australian English like the most of us.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:57 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The demographics of the Northern Territory in Australia would be more similar to what those of Canada's three territories in the north (Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut) would be if they were all lumped together into one territory.
Also, the reported demographics of Western Australia are dominated by Perth and other cities in the south west. The north and east are not very different to the Northern Territory, except there are probably more locations with transient fly-in-fly-out workforces.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:28 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Our latest census from 2016 reported that about 650 O00 people reported being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background. About 10% reported speaking an Aboriginal language at home and there are apparently 150 different languages. The largest number of Aboriginal people live in NSW, more than 200 000. As at least 80% have non-Aboriginal partners I would think that the majority speak Australian English like the most of us.
Actually Aboriginals can sound different. Even so Aboriginal English is very similar to Australian English.

Well, what is Aboriginal English? Aboriginal English is a dialect of Standard Australian English, in the same way as Scottish English and American Englishes and English Englishes all differ from each other. Aboriginal Englishes are the only regionally distributed dialects of Australian English in this country, which is quite unusual for any country.

It differs from Standard English phonetically, phonemically, in the sense that sounds can be different. For instance, ‘baird’ instead of ‘bird’, you have words in the consonants that are r’s, l’s, n’s, d’s and t’s that are what you call retroflex sounds. It also differs syntactically with the grammar, and with the semantics, with the meanings of words, and also the biggest problem for teachers and students is the pragmatics of how language is used, how is English used. The problem can be that a student or teacher can recognise what the other is saying, the word, but the way it is used may be totally different.https://ab-ed.nesa.nsw.edu.au/go/abo...l-english-like

Also I noticed a lot of Aboriginals sound different with the accent. It hard to explain. It is really subtle. Even if the children have at least one parent that is non Aboriginal.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:09 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
One of the big differences I notice with Aboriginal Canadians is not necessarily in accent but in "tone". The tone of their speech is very soft, almost hushed in some cases. It's also often what I would describe as "monochord" (bad translation from French), in that it has very little raising compared to non-aboriginal speakers.

In many (but not all) regions the accent of aboriginal Canadians seems to reflect long contact with the French language, even if ironically most of them no longer speak French or have much contact with the language. And so for example some sounds in English such as "th" come out sounding like a "d", or the "h" at the start of words is slightly or totally suppressed. Both of which are things you hear from native French speakers when speaking in English. These speech patterns are common among aboriginals in regions quite far away from Quebec like the Prairies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World