Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What does it feel like to be a visible minority in the USA?
I feel at a higher safety risk 17 38.64%
I feel there is no difference 27 61.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 11:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I'd say America is overall fairly safe for 'coloured' people. It's one of the most multicultural countries in the world. Even white Americans tend to have mixed ancestry. I wouldn't be worried about racism in there. Maybe if you choose to live in Mississippi or something you should be wary. But in other states, especially those to the northeast and west, you'll not be discriminated against and I don't think anyone will "notice" you. I'd say European countries are more 'race-conscious', like Germany, Spain, Russia and the Netherlands.

To note, Travyon Martin was killed by a Latino cop. And, although his death was completely unnecessary, he had it coming.
How do you know? Most racist incidents that have been in the news didn't happen in the south. My own personal experience in 40 states found that the Midwest seems to be worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
It is pretty delusional to think that people around that world don't get their impressions of other countries based on how they are represented in pop culture and the media.

If you don't do anything to dispel the myths don't expect other people outside of your country to put effort in to proving them wrong.

If someone continues to present the same type of picture or story over and over again then people do in fact start to believe it.
^^^This. The whole post but especially this.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I agree. I am white and from the Caribbean. I know my experiences living in Canada regarding racism are very different then people from the same country that are visible minorities. I am not going to disagree with that.
Takes someone from another country to understand

Old 07-16-2018, 11:43 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Technically, it's hard to tell the difference because you can't experience the same place impersonated as different races.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:49 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
It is pretty delusional to think that people around that world don't get their impressions of other countries based on how they are represented in pop culture and the media.
Unfortunately, most of the media and Hollywood is politically liberal. So, they are invested in portraying minorities as “victims.”

I don’t know if this is going to change anytime soon.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Unfortunately, most of the media and Hollywood is politically liberal. So, they are invested in portraying minorities as “victims.â€

I don’t know if this is going to change anytime soon.
How do you know it isn't accurate? Are you going to tell minorities what their reality is?

Old 07-18-2018, 01:33 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
How do you know it isn't accurate? Are you going to tell minorities what their reality is?
Actually, I have a theory that almost all the problems in the world were created by white people. If white people didn't invade other continents, Africa, Asia, and the Americas would be much better. The present-day United States would be a paradise with zero pollution. Blacks wouldn't be enslaved, India wouldn't be colonized, forests and wildlife wouldn't be decimated, the nuclear weapon wouldn't be invented, .... the list goes on and on.

But when it comes to personal safety in the USA, most violent crimes are committed by minorities. Common sense has it that affluent white neighborhoods are extremely safe, whereas inner city neighborhoods are as dangerous as war zones. Given that certain minorities concentrate in bad neighborhoods, it's no surprise that they suffer most from violent crimes, mostly black on black crimes.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:05 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Actually, I have a theory that almost all the problems in the world were created by white people. If white people didn't invade other continents, Africa, Asia, and the Americas would be much better. The present-day United States would be a paradise with zero pollution. Blacks wouldn't be enslaved, India wouldn't be colonized, forests and wildlife wouldn't be decimated, the nuclear weapon wouldn't be invented, .... the list goes on and on.

But when it comes to personal safety in the USA, most violent crimes are committed by minorities. Common sense has it that affluent white neighborhoods are extremely safe, whereas inner city neighborhoods are as dangerous as war zones. Given that certain minorities concentrate in bad neighborhoods, it's no surprise that they suffer most from violent crimes, mostly black on black crimes.
Actually, it was not just the Whtie (Europeans) that invaded other countries, Japan did as well. Also, the Arabs did enslave Negros well before the Americas was discovered by the Americas. In addition Arab and North African pirates as well as the Ottoman Turks would capture European Christians and enslave them. The Aztec empire in Central America was bloodthirsty and they believed in order for the sun to rise again a human had to be sacrificed to the Gods. In addition within South Asia the Hindu, Muslim and Sikhs were at times at each other throats. and even before Europeans started to establish trade ports in India.

Also, there were scientists from Europe that knew how to build a nuclear bomb before most of them moved to America. Without the help of European scientists, the Nuclear bombs would not be first developed in the USA.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:02 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
I imagine it feels different to everyone. I am a Korean American living in Texas, and have most my life. I've felt racism a handful of times, mostly in New England (which is supposedly most like Canada out of American regions?), but the vast majority of people treat me no worse for being a minority. I'd also like to note that racism I have faced in the South has been from Black people; not saying this to call Black people racist, the vast majority are not, but rather to point out that the situation isn't only White people going around supposedly discriminating against everyone else.

I never feel physically in danger because of my skin color but I am treated differently, not worse, at times. For instance, I will have people, Black, White, and Hispanic, who come to me and love to talk about KPop and dramas, even though I personally don't care much for dramas and don't show off my love for KPop, and people will always ask me to "say something in Korean" when they learn I am Korean or people I just meet asking where I am "really from." Thing is, though, despite all those things, I never felt any sort of ill intent or malice and I never personally felt denied anything or an opportunity because of my race. Sometimes I am annoyed by the attention, though I do understand it comes from a place of curiosity, but I would be lying if I said I never enjoyed it.

The one thing I, or "my race," do feel discriminated against is the education thing that has been in the news a lot recently. Regardless of whether some people believe the right are "using" Asians to promote their own agenda, it is now apparent that some colleges seem to penalize Asians simply for being Asians while giving a free pass to other minorities and that is discrimination and an issue regardless of who choose to be our allies, in this case generally White people on the right. (I know the argument is that, despite high scores and multiple interests outside of academics, Asian applicants are docked points for likability, or whatever, but that itself is racist since sources say interviews with alumni, when given, show Asian applicants generally do very well in likability).

I suspect that part of the reason the news and social media makes it appear so bad is that Americans, for good and bad, like to sensationalize everything. That brings issues to the front to be dealt with but it also makes the nation look worse internationally, though I feel like that is a great trade off-I, nor most people I know, don't care that much what people outside the US thinks about the US if it means problems get faced.

Quote:
Regarding the part in red.
Sadly I and many people around the world are starting to doubt that.
Talk is cheap.
Thanks to social media more of what we don't want to deal with is surfacing.
I 100% agree that it can be significant different depending on what part of a country or state people are referring to... but I am not feeling American is leading in this area as much as they want to think.
I actually disagree. With the definite exception of Canada and possibly the UK and New Zealand, the experience of my loved ones/friends and even myself have been worse in other nations, including China and Japan in Asia (although I guess my family and I wouldn't really be counted as visible minorities), several developed Europe nations (France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Portugal, and Sweden specifically), Russia, Mexico, and even Australia. I think the main difference is that, besides Australia, these countries sort of have this mindset that is more prone to ignoring racism or "letting things go" (which may be good sometimes but not for racism, no matter how subtle, in my opinion).

Old 07-18-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post

As for the bold; why do you think this is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World