Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 06:02 PM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Interesting is when some of the poorer countries in Europe have lower incomes than what most consider third world countries in Asia or Latin America.

For example, average income in Serbia is lower than Peru, Thailand, Ecuador, and Colombia.
Average income in Bulgaria is lower than Brazil, Mexico, China and Malaysia.
Per capita annual incomes worldwide range from $280 in Burundi to $82,230 in Norway, with the U.S. in between at $56,180.

In 2017, the highest standard of living was in Liechtenstein, with $139,100 per person. The lowest was Burundi, at $700 per capita. The United States ranked 19th at $59,500 per capita.

Does that mean that the US is a second world country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 06:57 PM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Per capita annual incomes worldwide range from $280 in Burundi to $82,230 in Norway, with the U.S. in between at $56,180.

In 2017, the highest standard of living was in Liechtenstein, with $139,100 per person. The lowest was Burundi, at $700 per capita. The United States ranked 19th at $59,500 per capita.

Does that mean that the US is a second world country?
GDP per capita =/= per capita income.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:08 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I've frequently wondered about this topic. Today when I looked it up, I found this site:

List of Third World Countries

Strange that Iraq and Iran are on it. But like China, this list goes by per-capita income. Countries that rely on foreign aid to a large extent.

South America has rain and much agriculture and oil. As opposed to say, Sudan or Ethiopia.
S.A. is developING

Here is the key phrase -

"Third world countries are those whose economies are highly dependent on the on the economic wealth of the developed countries due to which these poor countries have a large foreign debt on them as a result."

So... what was the question again?

If the countries couldn't develop their own technology sector on time AND/or the banking system, they became dependent on he first world countries. Hence they are third world countries, with different levels of wealth.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:09 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Because China is a third world country. The second world no longer exists.
What you said has nothing to do with what I said. What's your point?

Old 01-02-2019, 09:11 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What does per-capita average wealth matter, if the public doesn't benefit from that wealth? Look at Kazakhstan on that map; you'd think life there must be improving. But I suspect most of the wealth comes from resource extraction, and remains in the capital, under government control, while the people in the rural areas still live like they did close to 100 years ago.

Measuring by a nation's wealth is deceptive. Standard of living and wealth don't always correlate on a national level.
This map shows mean wealth actually owned by adults, not national wealth divided by population.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:20 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting map. Russia looks like it's ahead of most of SE Asia, but Russians who visit SE Asia are overwhelmed by the availability of consumer goods. They come back thinking they're way behind the 3rd World.

Russians don't have availability of consumers goods ( made in China?)

Quote:
So what is it that places Russia ahead? Is it ahead, in fact? What are the criteria? I think the criteria by which Russia ranks higher, are that education, including higher education, is available to all, and also there's nearly-universal health care. Those kinds of intangibles make a big difference. This tells us something about what criteria we should use in determining who's 3rd World and who isn't.

Very good thread topic, OP!

If Russians have "nearly-universal health care," how come typical American abomination "such and such kid needs an expensive operation, let's collect money for him/her - send whatever you can" happen more and more often there?

Old 01-02-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
I agree very much with your view, but with the inequality adjusted HDI index instead and the cut off around the top 40. Portugal should be the bottom of first world tier imo.
Well Portugal IS at the bottom of first world. Eastern Europe, Greece, and Portugal are the bottom.

Quote:
What you said has nothing to do with what I said. What's your point?
My point is China is a 3rd world country so what Chinese people say is true, and there's no 2nd world anymore. There hasn't been one since 1991.

Quote:
There's a similar debate about Taiwan; it has very modern cities, but have the rural areas caught up? Does its "Tiger Economy" status qualify it for 1st World starts, along with Japan? I think Japan is way ahead of Taiwan, but I'm no expert. Is Korea First World, now?

I think, to be considered First World, i.e. a developed nation, the standard of living in the rural areas needs to be at a certain level: the vast majority should have indoor plumbing of some kind, electricity, adequate heat in cold winter conditions. Paved roads nearby. Public transportation to take people to stores for basic necessities.
I don't think rural areas are particularly awful in Taiwan and Korea comparing to places like Britain or America. The worst counties in Britain and America are most likely even more ****ed up than the poorest areas in Taiwan and Korea since the crime rate in the former would be completely out of control with junkies and ****.

Every household has indoor plumbing, electricity (seriously?), internet, and paved roads nearby here. Ok maybe not every single one but it would be like 90% or something. Public transportation is almost non-existent but in what country is the public transportation good in rural areas?

There is not heating for winter though because it doesn't get that cold, but they would all have AC.

Last edited by Greysholic; 01-02-2019 at 09:46 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 09:38 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
A third world country is one that is below the speaker's threshold for development in the sector that the speaker is talking about. A country mat be third world in a conversation about banking, but not in health care.

I agree with marlaver, that the rural standard is a better barometer than the urban.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:41 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well Portugal IS at the bottom of first world. Eastern Europe, Greece, and Portugal are the bottom.

My point is China is a 3rd world country so what Chinese people say is true, and there's no 2nd world anymore. There hasn't been one since 1991.

I don't think rural areas are particularly awful in Taiwan and Korea comparing to places like Britain or America. The worst counties in Britain and America are most likely even more ****ed up than the poorest areas in Taiwan and Korea since the crime rate in the former would be completely out of control with junkies and ****.

Every household has indoor plumbing, electricity (seriously?), internet, and paved roads nearby here. Ok maybe not every single one but it would be like 90% or something. Public transportation is almost non-existent but in what country is the public transportation good in rural areas?

There is not heating for winter though because it doesn't get that cold, but they would all have AC.
Many smaller places in Germany and France offer solid public transportation options.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Many smaller places in Germany and France offer solid public transportation options.
If you still need a car to move around it's not solid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World