Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More racially integrated?
U.S 36 53.73%
U.K 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 11:22 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

So then what was your point? AFP was pretty clear. Hispanics are rejected for having ties with "Organized crime".
My point is simply that it's not uncommon for the process to obtain some type of security clearance for certain jobs to go further than people outside that bubble might expect it to go.

I don't really have an opinion either way on how many Hispanics in southern California have family ties to organized crime and if this excludes a lot of them from law enforcement jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 11:25 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
So then what was your point? AFP was pretty clear. Hispanics are rejected for having ties with "Organized crime".
That would be sad for all the law-abiding Latinos. But people indeed like those simple attitudes, people who don't want to invest the time and effort to consider each person an individual rather than a member of an ethnic group.
Reminds me of the actor Liam Neeson with his racist attitude towards all blacks because a relative was raped by a black guy.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That would be sad for all the law-abiding Latinos. But people indeed like those simple attitudes, people who don't want to invest the time and effort to consider each person an individual rather than a member of an ethnic group.
Reminds me of the actor Liam Neeson with his racist attitude towards all blacks because a relative was raped by a black guy.
Presumably the rules for background checks for jobs in law enforcement are the same for everyone, Latino or not. So if Jorge Contreras' check includes his sisters' boyfriends, then the check for John McLaughlin also covers his sisters' boyfriends. Otherwise an extra level of checking just for Latinos would be discriminatory and probably against the law.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:43 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times
Quoted "So then what was your point? AFP was pretty clear. Hispanics are rejected for having ties with "Organized crime"." End Quote

All applicants are rejected for having ties to family members connected to organized crime according to the criteria. It comes up more often with Hispanics during the screening process that's all I'm saying.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:46 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times
Quote:
It is sad if you're law abiding but your brother's or other family members aren't in some cases that is criteria for disqualification for certain jobs that require a clean background check.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Well, no one forced him to bring it up and he chose to talk about it willingly.

Obviously he realizes that it was wrong.

Put it down to a kind of temporary insanity. I don't think we should be so quick to judge when we don't know for sure how we'd react if a loved one were victimized like that.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:02 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Even for Joe Jobs in fast food places, corner stores or as cleaners? You're a citizen of the United States and live in a metro of several hundred thousand to millions of people and can't find any work at all? That's extremely hard to believe - even if your name is Jose or Ahmed.
It's hard for you to believe because you don't live this reality. That doesn't mean you should be dismissive of it either.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:06 PM

[quote=UrbanLuis;54431128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post

You can deny some one a job because a family member, another person has ties with gangs? How does that work?

What percentage of LA county Sheriffs are Latino? I am willing to bet the number is significant.
It works exactly as he said it. As I said to Acajak, just because it's hard for you to believe doesn't mean it's not true. Denying someone a law enforcement job in the US because of questionable background is very common in the US. The fact that there are Latino law enforcement officers does not negate that in any way.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:08 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, no one forced him to bring it up and he chose to talk about it willingly.

Obviously he realizes that it was wrong.

Put it down to a kind of temporary insanity. I don't think we should be so quick to judge when we don't know for sure how we'd react if a loved one were victimized like that.
Still, would he have tried to take revenge on any white guy if the rapist had been white? So, deep inside he probably simply is racist, even if reason has taken control of him again.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Where is that Fresno?
Looks like Orange County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World