Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times

Advertisements

The multi-culti thing has been going on for centuries.
The Vikings/Normans infiltrated Britain, the Romans went everywhere, Marco Polo went to the far East, persecuted Jews with their Diaspora have ended up all over the place.
Seems like American "cultural imperialism" has gone on since the 20th century when Yank soldiers came to Europe.
For better or worse, the world is moving at a much faster pace now: TV, internet, cinema, etc.
I just got back from 3 weeks in France, and was amazed at how English language (mostly American-based) has crept in. I've observed it for years, but these days it seems especially prevalent, and not just in pop culture.
But what is our culture?
And does Europe really need a Hollywood?
(For that matter, does America?)

Old 05-14-2009, 04:06 AM

266 posts, read 547,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
This happens all the time in the American military communities in Germany.
I know. I spent time in them when I was first there. However, not the same though.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:33 AM

639 posts, read 1,143,210 times
Sounds like the guy hates his own country. Hey Europe is always willing to take in the world's problem children as quickly as we do. If you run real fast you could probably catch the next plane out. Your disappointment is too much for me to bear!!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 07:18 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
Sounds like the guy hates his own country. Hey Europe is always willing to take in the world's problem children as quickly as we do. If you run real fast you could probably catch the next plane out. Your disappointment is too much for me to bear!!!!
I know! Seriously, it's like if he doesn't like it here so much why doesn't he venture off to live in culture bliss in Europe?

Old 05-14-2009, 07:20 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by European17 View Post
I would be highly suspicous of any European proclaiming a love for American 'culture'(if that is what they call culture nowdays)

But sure, I'd say millions of Europeans happily consume the next rubbish American tv show, while draped in their national flag yet at the same time have a severe hatred for European Unity. How many Europeans even know what the EU is about?

It is only when Europe becomes Federal, that Europe can become a great power once again.

I say NO to Americanisation and would love to see it end. Where is Europes 'Hollywood'?
I could have sworn Cannes and Paris are the "Hollywood" of Europe or something similar. Idk. Maybe it's just me who thinks that.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 AM

159 posts, read 532,205 times
That mona lisa picture is awesome

Old 05-16-2009, 10:25 AM

895 posts, read 2,366,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Why are some Europeans so fascinated with American culture? I met a few young Germans in Canada and I could not believe how Americanized they were, I was actually very disappointed Same thing with people from other nationalities. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of things about American culture, but there is so much cultural garbage and stupidity in this country
It has nothing to do with the people enjoying it so much (well im sure some people really do) but more to do with the advertisements and the companies. An american movie company will have much much muchh more money to advertise and send its movie all around the world then a german one will, same with music clothes drinks etc.

In other words many people see more american "culture" then their own native one.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:50 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I could have sworn Cannes and Paris are the "Hollywood" of Europe or something similar. Idk. Maybe it's just me who thinks that.
maybe, and perhaps a bit sentimental? it's also venice and berlin now. and amercian stars the most adored, btw.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Why are some Europeans so fascinated with American culture? I met a few young Germans in Canada and I could not believe how Americanized they were, I was actually very disappointed Same thing with people from other nationalities. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of things about American culture, but there is so much cultural garbage and stupidity in this country
Maybe they got tired of the little Alps outfits, the shorts with vests and suspenders that they're supposed to wear.

American culture is in itself very adaptable, and very international. American culture is influenced by England, Germany, Poland, but also by the culture the slaves brought with them, and so we have jazz music, banjos. It was influenced by the culture from old Spain which shows up in the cowboy culture of the Old West.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:56 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,543 times
The reason that people from other nations are fascinated by us and our culture is because we have a confidence of who we are that doesn't exist to this degree anywhere else.
We do not follow anyone. We lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World