Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,313,714 times

Advertisements

Why are some Europeans so fascinated with American culture? I met a few young Germans in Canada and I could not believe how Americanized they were, I was actually very disappointed Same thing with people from other nationalities. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of things about American culture, but there is so much cultural garbage and stupidity in this country

Old 04-27-2009, 11:27 PM

710 posts, read 3,393,683 times
Been that way since the advent of coca cola and blue jeans, dude

Old 04-27-2009, 11:49 PM

814 posts, read 2,308,519 times
it's kind of like how grandparents view grandchildren. they see them idealistically because their relationship is more recreational. if you are in one culture viewing the the ideal spin from another culture, you don't see the everyday drudgery or stupidity and so can idealize another culture or even people in a way that may not even be really representative of anything but a concept and an idea but that can be positive in other ways as it inspires.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:33 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,437,365 times
There are not many things I like about our culture. We like crapy sports, crappy music, and we eat too much.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:31 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,434,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Why are some Europeans so fascinated with American culture? I met a few young Germans in Canada and I could not believe how Americanized they were, I was actually very disappointed
Did you expect them to wear lederhosen?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:39 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,932,723 times
Just curious Repubocrat, what about your friends was Americanized?
I'm assuming it was something beyond a fascination with sitcoms, McDonalds and Coke, etc.

You'll find garbage and stupidity everywhere, not just the U.S. Perhaps your friends do have an idealistic view of the U.S, so I'm wondering how it seems to be at the expense of something else? It's obviously had quite an impact on you, so I'm curious. I've found Germans and Americans have a very respectful relationship with one another generally, something my partner as a German enjoys very much.

I think the words 'Americanization' is often used interchangably with 'globalization' and the line between the two is somewhat blurred. Many people fear that indigenous cultures will be swallowed up by a more dominant culture, in some cases the U.S, not always. I'm probably not making much sense so I'll leave it there.

Dont worry you U.S guys, theres enough good stuff in your country to balance out what you see as 'crap'. Enjoy it!

Old 04-28-2009, 01:43 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
American pop culture, the proverbial train wreck: not pleasant to witness but you just can't turn away.

That said, it's absolutely fascinating what kind of ideas the rest of the world forms about the U.S. based on our popular culture.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:42 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,228,858 times
Hmm...opposite experience than me.

I've always found most Europeans very proud of their own culture. Generally speaking I've found most Europeans with generally quite negative stereotypes about Americans.

What does tick me off though, is how many Europeans will go on about how they don't like American movies...and then they try to see every single American movie that comes out and know them inside and out.

I'm an American and I watch very very few movies in general...I've always been annoyed by my American counterparts who seem way to centered around movies as major conversation topic...but I get even more irked when I meet anti-Americans who say they hate American movies, but then go and see them and know them inside and out as well.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:58 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,556,927 times
I think there's a love/hate relationship with the US and we probably love everything we hate too, including the movie industry, the music industry, the patriotism and yet the individualism. We are Americanized (inevitably, the culture that dominates has an influence on the rest, but then America is not that different anyway) to some extent but a lot of the traditions, culture and idiosincrasy is retained. We're still deeply Europeans and deeply ___ (fill in with the nation of each). European nationalism(s) has been having some very bad press (the nazis, the fascists, blahblahblah... IMO nationalism and love of national traditions shouldn't be confused with totalitarianism) which some governments have thought best to use to cultural globalization's advantage (or to follow their own agendas), but we're still proud. The EU is such a shame that we're having second thoughts though lol.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:39 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,881,373 times
Why are some Europeans so fascinated with American culture? I met a few young Germans in Canada and I could not believe how Americanized they were, I was actually very disappointed Same thing

Why "disappointed", for God's sake.
I'm a French guy, and I'm regularly bashed on this Forum (of all places!) because all in all for many reasons (some very personal), I feel better at ease with let's say anglo-saxon culture (including Us and ALSO German by the way) than my own.
I guess that in times past, I would have faced the firing squad as a traitor to the national cause (lol)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World