Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 01:10 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
So you've never heard of the Philippines?

Yes, I have. America never colonized the Philippines, Spain did.

For 300+ years the Philippines was a Spanish colony from 1568 until 1898 when it was handed over to the USA by Spain as a peace settlement after their defeat in the Spanish American War. Then the Philippines became an USA territory (not the same thing as a colony) until it was granted independence in 1946. America also took the Spanish colonies Guam and Puerto Rico from Spain after 1898.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 02:18 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Canada and Australia were not Americanized they just share a common history. So as a result are similar places.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:28 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Canada and Australia were not Americanized they just share a common history. So as a result are similar places.

I think you meant "colonized" but you're right on the broader point. Canada and Australia were never US colonies.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:42 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Probably cities in Canada.
Actually, no. Canadian cities depend much more on public transport. And are much more likely to have a vibrant centre, especially at night.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:16 PM

827 posts, read 865,867 times
Canadian and australian cities may have their particularities, but they are the closer we can get to this concept of "americanized cities".

Old 10-21-2018, 07:23 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Yes, it's not a question of places being identical to American cities, but of finding those that are the closest thing. In order to "qualify" they don't have to be exactly the same. Just more similar than any others.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:32 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times
When I think about an american city, I think about a relatively small city centre with very high skyscrapers and a very huge area with wide streets and large houses surrounded by green lawns. It should have also a stadium for baseball and american football matches, american food and drink establishments (like Starbucks, KFC, Häagen-Dazs, etc.), and an Apple Store helps to make the "american" landscape. The only places coming to my mind with all of these features combined are located in Canada.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:53 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,685 times
Manila

People speak american English - check
Signs are in English - check
Presence of American franchises - check
Love for NBA - check
Love for Hollywood music / movies / TV's - check (tune in to your radio and it feels like you are in America)

Old 10-22-2018, 05:25 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
When I think about an american city, I think about a relatively small city centre with very high skyscrapers and a very huge area with wide streets and large houses surrounded by green lawns. It should have also a stadium for baseball and american football matches, american food and drink establishments (like Starbucks, KFC, Häagen-Dazs, etc.), and an Apple Store helps to make the "american" landscape. The only places coming to my mind with all of these features combined are located in Canada.
Well my impression of American cities is of grid patterns, strip malls, skyscrapers and unfortunately many homeless people in some areas. Yes, Starbucks etc and wide streets.

Definitely not like Australian cities and especially not like Sydney. Which was unplanned so has narrow roads, is crossed by four major waterways in the metropolitan area, has mixtures of all types of housing and if anything feels more like a British city. Which it was for the first part of its history. By the way Starbucks has all but failed here, Apple stores are found in almost ALL cities around the world and (referring to a different post) anywhere I have been the past few years has people glued to their mobile phones. In actual fact less so in the US and France and more so in China and other Asian cities.

Maybe a few Canadian cities are similar, but not all.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:01 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Manila

People speak american English - check
Signs are in English - check
Presence of American franchises - check
Love for NBA - check
Love for Hollywood music / movies / TV's - check (tune in to your radio and it feels like you are in America)
Many Filipinos are fluent in English but doesn't make the cities like US cities. If I visited Manila or Cebu, I certainly wont feel like I am in the US. Too much poverty, congestion and people speaking to each other in their own languages that are not English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World