Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,815,320 times

Advertisements

Pakistan also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 05:58 AM

75 posts, read 274,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Iron Curtain? What type of crime is on the rise?
People in Austria say that since the borders to the former communist countries are open there have been more burglaries, pickpockets and robberies. My ex-boyfriend was austrian and I've been there twice, it seemed extremely safe to me, but I don't have the comparison to pre-1989

Old 07-01-2010, 01:01 PM

211 posts, read 566,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Interesting, I'm planning on vacationing to Thailand (who isn't) when I'm going to be in South Korea teaching. Is it the "going out" that makes the beer expensive or is it pricey at the grocery store as well?
You going to be working in an international in Seoul or an actual Korean school?

To the OP: It's hard to answer. If you're on a full expat package from your job, China is a good place.

Scott

Old 07-01-2010, 01:32 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,519,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corcorangirl View Post
People in Austria say that since the borders to the former communist countries are open there have been more burglaries, pickpockets and robberies. My ex-boyfriend was austrian and I've been there twice, it seemed extremely safe to me, but I don't have the comparison to pre-1989
I lived in Vienna in the early 70's. Zero, thats right no crime.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:00 PM

Any countries in Africa?

Old 07-01-2010, 09:24 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Any countries in mind and/or have experience.
There's way too many factors to consider.

As much crap as people talk about Venezuela...
I have a relative that is going to retire soon (she's a teacher)
Do you want to guess how much her retirement (social security) is going to be?

90% of her salary.

In Venezuela, the capital is like living in San Francisco and out in the country is like living in the Mid-West.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:03 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,918,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
You going to be working in an international in Seoul or an actual Korean school?

To the OP: It's hard to answer. If you're on a full expat package from your job, China is a good place.

Scott
I'll be working for a Hagwon. I thought about applying for the EPIK public school program but since I've never taught before it seemed like a better choice (5 other foreign teachers at the school instead of being the only one). Plus, for a Hagwon job my contract doesn't have many teaching hours.

Believe me, I would have loved to go to China but the higher pay in Korea will let me do pretty much whatever I want when I finish my contract (including working in China). Are you in China on an expat package? I interned in Shanghai last summer.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
There's way too many factors to consider.

As much crap as people talk about Venezuela...
I have a relative that is going to retire soon (she's a teacher)
Do you want to guess how much her retirement (social security) is going to be?

90% of her salary.

In Venezuela, the capital is like living in San Francisco and out in the country is like living in the Mid-West.
Beautiful women in Venezuela.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:56 PM

93 posts, read 285,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What about Mexico?
Mexico has a low cost of living compared to Canada and the US, but generally the salaries are lower. For example, someone living in the US or Canada in my specialty would probably make about $40-45,000 USD a year. Here in Mexico, I am making between $22-25,000 USD. However considering that everything here is cheaper, it is a good amount of money to live with, and I still have spending money after paying all my bills and such. The level of development is high here, however right now if you move to Mexico, it is recommendable that you move to one of the central or southern states due to the violence in select cities in the north. Living in cities like Guadalajara or Mexico City right now is more recommendable than considering places like Torreón, Monterrey or Tampico. But overall the people are happy with their lives.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:10 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times
The United States, by far. We have a lower COL than almost any developed country, whether it is for consumer electronics, cars, houses, boats, food (especially in restaurants), yet the highest salaries of any large country (Norway and a few others are naturally excluded), assuming you have good health care (offered through your employer). Whether we have the highest QOL (quality of life) or not depends on your priorities, but it is indisputable in areas other than health care, the U.S., at least away from the East Coast and California, has the best combination of low COL and high salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World