Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:31 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I am embarrassed to admit that in the past, I used to write "for all intensive purposes" rather than "for all intents and purposes".

:::::hanging head in shame:::::
I caught my own niece doing that and called her on it. She had no idea, and she's a very intelligent, well-educated young woman. I thought you might be my niece for a moment, except she would be "GeminiGirl".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I am embarrassed to admit that in the past, I used to write "for all intensive purposes" rather than "for all intents and purposes".

:::::hanging head in shame:::::
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I think I said that when I was younger too. When you examine it, it really does make sense.
Maybe it's something that became misquoted in your generation and the misquote just spread.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,303,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Well, technically chanteuse is a French word, meaning female singer. I had never heard this word used in English before I moved to the USA...
It's a particular type of female singer, usually a woman performing live jazz in a nightclub. It's not used much because that music isn't performed live very often anymore. Nowadays it's pronounced in the French manner, but in old movies from the 30s and 40s they used to say chan-TOO-see.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,204,540 times
At age 20, years ago, I didn't know how to say "foliage." I'd say "foil-age.". Well, the leaves could be kind of shiney in a foil-like mannet.?vc

I wasn't living in New England yet, but it seems so stupid now. Doesn't everyone know how to say it, even if living in a desert?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:24 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,391,999 times
Quote:
The Italian place across from where I work has had "broccoli rape" on the menu for years. The "pubic" thing reminded me of this.
Technically, 'rape' is the English for 'rabe'. There are a couple of plants in the Brassica genus called rape including the common rapeseed, the oil of which has been branded 'canola' to put off negative associations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
At age 20, years ago, I didn't know how to say "foliage." I'd say "foil-age.". Well, the leaves could be kind of shiney in a foil-like mannet.?vc

I wasn't living in New England yet, but it seems so stupid now. Doesn't everyone know how to say it, even if living in a desert?
I have heard people say 'foil-age' and argue vociferously that it is the correct pronunciation.

My biggest admission is that it took until my late 30s to sit down and memorize the spelling of 'necessarily'.

Also, having grown up in a non-Rhotic environment, I have had people tell me my pronunciation of words like 'mirror' and 'refrigerator' are incorrect because I sound the final 'R' although without the same level of sustain as other American English speakers.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:04 AM

134 posts, read 155,500 times
Writing something like, "My sibling,Ben,is a marine."

Oh, you only have one sibling,Ben. and he's a marine.

Well,Ben is a marine,but I have a sister also.

Then why did you write Ben as a nonrestrictive appositve of my sibling?

Uhh...I'm a moron.

Also, saying something like "Me and Ben will go to th store."
Hopefully, we all know it should be, "Ben and I"

Old 07-24-2012, 04:32 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,473,545 times
Quote:
I post a lot in these threads about my impatience with poor grammar, poor vocabulary, or poor usage. But I'm also a pretty tough self-critic. I'm probably harder on myself than I am on the stupid fools who make grammatical errors consistently. So here are my confessions:

I used to mix up "ersatz" and "erstwhile." They have totally different meanings, but I still have to stop and remind myself whether I'm reading about something that doesn't exist anymore or something that's a cheap fake when one of them pops up in something I'm reading.

Up until about a year ago, I thought it was correct to say "I was pouring over all the books I could find on the topic..." but it's actually "poring." I guess I had a mental image of a person "pouring" themselves like a liquid over a whole lot of written material, sort of becoming one with it. But stupid me, it's "pore."

I somehow got through my whole life (42+ years so far) without learning the word "chanteuse." I read a LOT, so how did the word get by me without my looking it up? I'm embarrassed to say I heard someone on TV (who isn't necessarily very bright) say the word--"so-and-so was a very famous chanteuse..." and was like "huh?" Then I looked it up. My boyfriend, who reads about as much as I do and who also has a decent vocabulary, even knew the word (but he also does crossword puzzles a lot). Of course, as things like this always seem to happen, once I learned the word, I now see it a lot.

I had thought that the saying "toe the line" was "tow the line." I didn't know the origin of the phrase, but I knew when a person was told to "tow the line" they were being told to "buckle down," follow the rules, or pay better attention to what they should be doing." So I pictured fishermen towing a fishing line, working more diligently to catch a fish than just sitting there dozing with a fishing rod in their hands. Then I learned that it was actually "toe" and it came from either track & field (put your toe on the starting line before running) or from shooting contests (put your toe on the line when you shoot for the target and don't go beyond it).

Okay grammar/vocab-snobs (like me), what have been your embarrassing blunders? I came forward with my shame, how about you?
If you knew about sailing you'd know to use "tow the line".

I don't think "pouring" over books is as egregious as some other things. In fact most people think of pore as a noun ie a skin pore.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:37 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,922,449 times
No, I was wrong when I wrote "tow the line." It's "toe."

Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
No, I was wrong when I wrote "tow the line." It's "toe."
World Wide Words: Toe the line

Old 07-25-2012, 02:18 PM

395 posts, read 1,215,419 times
I mistakenly thought the word esculent meant "delicious and enjoyable". At a dinner party, I was very emphatic in the way that I told the host and the guest that his the meal was esculent. Turns out, someone looked it up and remarked "esculent means fit to be eaten. Such as "mushrooms in the wild with a white color cap are esculent, and won't kill you." Needless to say, I was embarrassed
I have also struggled with the word obtuse, and have never found a reason to use it correctly. Every I did use it, or try to find a situation to apply it to, I would tell my brother about it and he would shake his head and tell me I was wrong.
I 12th grade, I mispronounced anecdote (I said anecedote) and pronounced futile with a British pronunciation, fu-tile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing