Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 03:04 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,909,919 times

Advertisements

Oh, man, here's this same guy's THIRD post about Kentucky history! Obviously, it was more of a mystery than history to him, since he got almost everything wrong;

"still wouldn't be british territory and was under spain one time spain already pwned that part of world this time they where around first then ran into us later on as America grew needed ore land when we went west awhile new Orleans was only good route sed ships out spain got tired of it sold it to french napeoloen that h to get good he sold it to us for money"

Stay tuned; there may be more....

Old 05-03-2015, 04:32 PM

19,138 posts, read 25,356,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Stay tuned; there may be more....
I don't think that my brain could endure any more of that misspelled word salad.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times
Quote:
A viewer's comments about Kentucky history, in reference to a YouTube video about that state:

"no when we got ti when Daniel boon finaly went throu his own path Virginaia would had these paths already use be part Spanish empire intil we bought the stuff Kentucky more farr off then Virginia is Kentucky not even close to the 13 colonys u see that on the 13 colonys appwhere Kentucky was part louisiana purchase what finish off Kentucky we also got Kentucky from pushing natives away west into Oklamhoma wasn't part f Virginia att anytime"

Where to start, oh, where to start! This poor soul is illiterate in both English composition and Kentucky (and US) history!
Besides the fact that he/she uses no punctuation (could be written on a mobile device)... it reads like he/she writes in their dialect. (A lot of people do.) As a linguist, I love posts written that way. A good linguist trained in location-dependent dialects would be able to tell you all sorts of information about that poster. Including sex, education, location and, quite possibly, occupation(s).

His version of history reads like an oral history. It's possible he's writing it as he's heard it passed down through his family. "What finish off Kentucky..." GOOD stuff for a linguist.

A LOT of posters on CD reveal a great deal about where they are from by their grammar and choice of words. Including a lot of people who complain about grammar and English on the Education and Teaching threads. It can be quite entertaining.

BTW: Writers can be VERY successful writing books and stories in their dialect. Or having an ear for dialect. Were I writing a fictional book on the South..... I'd use that poster in a nano-second as a source. And to steal from.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-03-2015 at 05:30 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Besides the fact that he/she uses no punctuation (could be written on a mobile device)... it reads like he/she writes in their dialect. (A lot of people do.) As a linguist, I love posts written that way. A good linguist trained in location-dependent dialects would be able to tell you all sorts of information about that poster. Including sex, education, location and, quite possibly, occupation(s).

His version of history reads like an oral history. It's possible he's writing it as he's heard it passed down through his family. "What finish off Kentucky..." GOOD stuff for a linguist.

A LOT of posters on CD reveal a great deal about where they are from by their grammar and choice of words. Including a lot of people who complain about grammar and English on the Education and Teaching threads. It can be quite entertaining.

BTW: Writers can be VERY successful writing books and stories in their dialect. Or having an ear for dialect. Were I writing a fictional book on the South..... I'd use that poster in a nano-second as a source. And to steal from.
Glad you liked it - now, please tell us what you detected about this individual's "sex, education, location, and, quite possibly, occupation(s)"!

I think he's confused the Louisiana Purchase with the Jackson Purchase, which is one of Kentucky's seven traditional regions, often referred to simply as "the Purchase". Hence his theories re the Spanish and French.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times
Quote:
Glad you liked it - now, please tell us what you detected about this individual's "sex, education, location, and, quite possibly, occupation(s)"!
Sorry, I'm not qualified. That would take a linguist who specializes in that part of the country. (Do you doubt there are linguists who can do that? I've met linguists who can can determine where someone grew up, right down to streets in a neighborhood, by listening to them recite childhood skip-rope rhymes. It's impressive. )

But if someone comes along and posts, "then this dude from spain named juan cabrillo sailed up the coast and made it all the way to frisco before turning around so he could discover catalina" shoot me a DM.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-03-2015 at 08:35 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 11:49 PM

30,902 posts, read 36,985,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I wish it were the case that the person was a non-native speaker, but alas, they are from the middle of Wisconsin.

Here's a fun one: the doctor can make shore your really pregnant ,
OMG!

I have also seen references people "waisting" money. I didn't even know it was possible to confuse "waste" and "waist".

Old 05-04-2015, 06:55 AM

4,191 posts, read 3,407,430 times
Quote:
I decided that none of them worked in a manor I wanted them to work.
I think you have to be 'to the manner born.'

Old 05-04-2015, 07:01 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,450,604 times
From a post I made: Sometimes bystanders are clueless as to whether or not a person is handicapped.

A response quoting me: "What their legs rub to together?" Leaves me clueless...

Old 05-04-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sorry, I'm not qualified. That would take a linguist who specializes in that part of the country. (Do you doubt there are linguists who can do that? I've met linguists who can can determine where someone grew up, right down to streets in a neighborhood, by listening to them recite childhood skip-rope rhymes. It's impressive. )

But if someone comes along and posts, "then this dude from spain named juan cabrillo sailed up the coast and made it all the way to frisco before turning around so he could discover catalina" shoot me a DM.
Oh, no, I have no doubt whatsoever that some could detect this person's background from his writing (he used a male name, so one can assume he's a guy, and contextually, he appears to be a Kentuckian. Not a very well informed Kentuckian when it comes to the history of his state, but a Kentuckian, nonetheless). I was an English major, so have a little background myself, in writing, dialects, origins and development of the English language, etc. I was mistaken in assuming that you were speaking of yourself when you referred to the ability of linguists to pinpoint origins, etc. so precisely from such examples.

But I think hearing him speak would help locate him and determine his educational/cultural background much more readily and perhaps accurately. Accents cannot always be conveyed in their entirety by the written word.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
From a post I made: Sometimes bystanders are clueless as to whether or not a person is handicapped.

A response quoting me: "What their legs rub to together?" Leaves me clueless...
Referring to a scissors gait of someone with CP or a similar condition, perhaps?? Or maybe referring to the song of the grasshopper??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.