Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 06:53 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,851,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Oh, and that reminds me: I hate when girls or women are referred to as 'females.'
It gives the impression that a person is nothing more than her biological capabilities.
And it is offensive.

It's not offensive to everyone. As a matter of fact, I bet it's not offensive to most people.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:51 PM

10,239 posts, read 15,952,650 times
Yes I hate all the insane political correctness and the terms the media uses.

1. We've gone from "illegal/illegal alien" to "illegal immigrant" to "undocumented immigrant". Some people also find anchor baby offensive even though its not a racial term at all.

2. Terrorists (especially Palestinian and Chechen Muslim groups) are often now referred to as "militants" or "insurgents".

3. Killing a child is now "terminating a pregnancy"

4. I heard one guy say that the words "disabled" and "handicapped" are offensive and that you should say "differently abled" instead. LOL

5. Extremeley easily offended people also object to the word "ghetto" like "the ghetto" or "ghetto people" or "ghetto music" or if someone "acts ghetto". For some reason the word "hood" or hoodrat is seen as SLIGHTLY less offensive, but PC people still object to it. Some even object to "thug".

I don't know if the term "haji" is supposed to be offensive, many ex-military people use it when talking about their experiences in Iraq and Afghanistan to refer to the enemy terrorists they fought against.

I have a fanfic story that repeatedly refers to "illegals" and "anchor babies" and my readers didn't have a problem with it.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:52 PM

10,239 posts, read 15,952,650 times
Oh yes and I do really hate it when people use the Lord's name in vain. That's my biggest problem with Sons of Anarchy by the way. I would prefer f____ over the Lord's name in vain but they're not allowed to say the F word.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:34 AM

32,960 posts, read 36,433,125 times
3. Killing a child is now "terminating a pregnancy"

It used to be called, plain and simple, abortion.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:05 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,455,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It's not offensive to everyone. As a matter of fact, I bet it's not offensive to most people.
It's fine with me to call girls and women females, because that's what they are. Choosing to not say certain descriptive words is sometimes a problem for me. When pc proponents decided retarded was offensive, I disagreed. The alternatives, mentally or intellectually challenged is not better. The meaning is still the same.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:42 AM

19,147 posts, read 25,371,265 times
Just as an addendum to the woman/lady issue, this morning a friend sent me a link to a video showing a woman (likely fueled by Methamphetamine or...something) who flew into a rage at a McDonald's drive-through because she couldn't be served Chicken McNuggets at 10:00 AM. The title of the video refers to the woman in question as a "lady", and the first blog comment following the video also refers to her as a "lady".

While I don't want to post that link as it would lead to a site displaying obscenities, suffice it to say that the woman was totally out-of-control, both while she was seated in her car, and also when she exited the car and tried to strike the McDonald's employee. She even attempted to crawl through the small drive-up window, despite the fact that her bodily mass would have made that impossible.

Before screeching away, she retrieved something heavy from her car, and hurled it through the glass.

A "lady"?
I don't think so!

Old 03-02-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Just as an addendum to the woman/lady issue, this morning a friend sent me a link to a video showing a woman (likely fueled by Methamphetamine or...something) who flew into a rage at a McDonald's drive-through because she couldn't be served Chicken McNuggets at 10:00 AM. The title of the video refers to the woman in question as a "lady", and the first blog comment following the video also refers to her as a "lady".

While I don't want to post that link as it would lead to a site displaying obscenities, suffice it to say that the woman was totally out-of-control, both while she was seated in her car, and also when she exited the car and tried to strike the McDonald's employee. She even attempted to crawl through the small drive-up window, despite the fact that her bodily mass would have made that impossible.

Before screeching away, she retrieved something heavy from her car, and hurled it through the glass.

A "lady"?
I don't think so!

This whole forum could easily be filled by posting descriptions of the stupid things both males and female do to prove they aren't gentlemen or ladies.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:14 AM

"...leading to believe their thoughts and habbits."

Old 03-02-2015, 11:35 AM

88,665 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
It's fine with me to call girls and women females, because that's what they are. Choosing to not say certain descriptive words is sometimes a problem for me. When pc proponents decided retarded was offensive, I disagreed. The alternatives, mentally or intellectually challenged is not better. The meaning is still the same.
I agree with your disagreement. I had a mentally retarded aunt who was very much a part of our lives growing up. She died in 1995, just before she would have been linguistically upgraded to "developmentally challenged."

Old 03-02-2015, 12:45 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,983,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Oh, and that reminds me: I hate when girls or women are referred to as 'females.'
It gives the impression that a person is nothing more than her biological capabilities.
And it is offensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Actually, I know what Tia's talking about. Calling a woman a "female" not about any inference of biological capacity to me. When a person is referring to another woman as a "female," it is usually a woman who is talking about another woman who is dating her bf/husband, and her voice is dripping with venomous hatred. Or it is a man who is discussing a woman he is trying to sleep with. They are speaking about the other woman using a derogatory tone of voice, as if she were merely an object and not a human being. I don't hear that same derogatory tone when people refer to men as males.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.