Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:44 PM

610 posts, read 3,320,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad Straight View Post
Those wooden structures along the hi Ways are : Well ya heard of Where the deer and the antelope play. Those wooden things are sun shades for the indians to sit under to watch the deer and antelope play!!
Chad, it took me a while to learn what those were. I'd first moved to Utah and only saw them when I went up out of Heber City over Daniel's Summit - where Strawberry Reservoir/Soldier Creek sits.
Hope you won't hold it against me if I spill the beans ... but some folks may not know - they're to keep the snow from drifting over the highways.
Now I feel guilty - hope I didn't ruin your fun.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-10-2007 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 01:25 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
I'm surprised that someone hasn't brought up the old (and supposedly true) story of an Eastern politician reading that there were 10,000 cattle guards in Wyoming. "We can't afford that," he said, "Fire 'em all."

OK, anybody NOT know what a cattle guard is?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:47 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Yeah, he's that guy standing along the highway with a shot gun. He normally stands right next to where they painted, white lines across the road cause they figured cattle were stupid. But I didn't know those were Goverment Service positions.

Am I right?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
Chad, it took me a while to learn what those were. I'd first moved to Utah and only saw them when I went up out of Heber City over Daniel's Summit - where Strawberry Reservoir/Soldier Creek sits.
Hope you won't hold it against me if I spill the beans ... but some folks may not know - they're to keep the snow from drifting over the highways.
Now I feel guilty - hope I didn't ruin your fun.
When I first got out of the military and moved my family back to Wyoming. My son asked me what those fences were for. He was sharp. I asked him, what fences? He said the ones that just end, they don't fence nothing in. I explained to him they were snow fences and told him how they worked. Didn't believe me. Had to come out a couple weeks later during a big blow and show him.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:21 PM

I feel ya there. I was wishing we had a photo-thread where we could show all the different gate-contraptions that ranchers and BLMers in Wyoming have figured out over the years - From the very simple "double-arm shoulder-push upper-loop" to the "whiz-bang left, snarlamander right, bang down pop-up double whatchermajigger". Of course, it would be a little hard for me to snap a pic this week/month/season/year.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:03 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,892 times
Watch out for those nasty jackalope down around Douglas. Rocky Myn Oysters are not a myth.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Watch out for those nasty jackalope down around Douglas. Rocky Myn Oysters are not a myth.
I was actually living in Michigan when I saw my first Jackalope - someone had brought a young one home as a "pet" - in the same case they brought the Coors beer in. I didn't know they would be so plentiful - took me years to see them in the wild after landing in Wyoming ... and sure enough, just like you say, I was out in the "nowheres" between Douglas and Devil's tower, running from the giant red ants when I spied families of them. One of the only things I like about the eastern strip - certainly not the boar-size ants ... thank goodness they're not as fast as they look.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
I was actually living in Michigan when I saw my first Jackalope - someone had brought a young one home as a "pet" - in the same case they brought the Coors beer in. I didn't know they would be so plentiful - took me years to see them in the wild after landing in Wyoming ... and sure enough, just like you say, I was out in the "nowheres" between Douglas and Devil's tower, running from the giant red ants when I spied families of them. One of the only things I like about the eastern strip - certainly not the boar-size ants ... thank goodness they're not as fast as they look.
That's not right. I don't want people to get the wrong idea. Jackalopes, red ants.

We don't have a problem with red ants. But we do have a problem with jackqalopes. They rub and sharpen on everything. But, for the most part, they're pretty tame. I don't know of any story's where they attacked people. They've been agressive, in that they will growl and bark, but I don't know of any cases where they attacked.

There's even a season up here for them. From Nov 1 through Dec 15, You can shoot males. Then from 15 Dec through 31 Dec, you can shoot any specieces. We got a lot of seasons for a lot of animals. But I have not personally met anybody that has got one.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:59 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
When I first got out of the military and moved my family back to Wyoming. My son asked me what those fences were for. He was sharp. I asked him, what fences? He said the ones that just end, they don't fence nothing in. I explained to him they were snow fences and told him how they worked. Didn't believe me. Had to come out a couple weeks later during a big blow and show him.
He must have lived in Missouri at some time!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
He must have lived in Missouri at some time!
Nope, never Missouri, just slap banged him into Wyoming. Just butt kicked him into realaty. Said, "Here ya go."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming