Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:35 PM

50 posts, read 61,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Housing prices (and rent) will be somewhat cheaper in Dayton & Buffalo.

Energy sector has been down for awhile. Might bounce back briefly but could be headed for further downward movement long term.

Overall though Sheridan metro is still growing a little and there are probably 10,000 jobs of most of the usual kinds.

Gas prices vary for lots of reasons: taxes, market competition / collusion, ability to pay, delivery costs, etc.
Thank you! We are not the kind to come in and change things like a lot of people. Alaska is very much "You do you and I'll do me" and for a while we would get a lot of people moving up from the Lower 48 trying to escape their own state and of course bringing their Seattle politics with them. And we all hate it because Alaska changed over time. I get the sense that people in Wyoming are not welcoming to those who want to come in and citify things or whatever, also. And I respect that. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 02:45 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
Quote:

Overall though Sheridan metro is still growing a little and there are almost 15,000 jobs in the county of most of the usual kinds. Probably light on manufacturing & tech.

Sheridan Metro... lol!

Old 07-27-2017, 05:51 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,072 times
"Sheridan Metro... lol!"

Yeah...whatever, Dave.

I've been here for almost 25 yrs now, and I have watched the people coming in & the changes thier presense has wrought upon the face of this wonderful region...

...and I DO NOT APPRECIATE IT.

Not ONE iota.

Almost every little 'city' in Wyoming is literally being transformed into a micro-cos'm of what one experiences in the larger ('crappier') cities surrounding us.

It's getting worse, with each passing year.

Starting to give serious thought to moving onto a small volcanic island (if I remember correctly it's north-west of Antarctica ?) 'Keureulin Island' I think it's called...7 or 8 countries have a small gaggle of climatologists/geologists they cycle in and out of there (to monitor 'climate-change') but other than that there's maybe only 1.2 million penquins to share the island with...

...no Walmarts, no internet, no 'Red-Robin' (Yummmmmmmmm !) or McDonalds and NO 'fast-paced/busy-lifestyle-living idiots' to contend with...

...starting to look more and more like 'Shangri-La' to me, the more I think of it...

But I digress....Sheridan IS growing...maybe not as badly as Casper or Cheyenne...but it's getting bigger, faster and more 'metro-ish' with each passing year.

Keep in mind, I spent some yrs in the most densely-populated state in the nation...so I know what I'm talking about.

I came here to GET A.W.A.Y. from all that...and 25 yrs later...it's all catching up to me....AGAIN.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:57 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
If it took 10-25 years to catch you with your tastes, you did pretty well. Only way to avoid getting outsized is pick a place with little growth potential or declining. Did Sheridan fit that description when you moved there? I see a modest dip in population in late 80s / early 90s, so it looks like the answer might have been yes. But, being on interstate, biggest place around, wasn't going to last. Moderate growth compared to some hotter markets. Too cold for many. Want low growth, lower growth? Find someplace colder, off the interstate.

I probably should have stuck with "county" over "metro" in this case but I look at metros in other places and they can be multi-county so in those cases metro is preferable unit / term. I didn't include it but eventually Johnson Country will get included and Sheridan will become a micropolitan area.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-27-2017 at 06:10 PM..

Old 07-27-2017, 06:33 PM

50 posts, read 61,617 times
I hear ya. Here in Alaska Obama and the current progressive governor posing as an "independent" has single handedly changed the demographics in this state from solid red and freedom loving rural areas to high crime infested and invaded borderline blue in five years. And it's not stopping. I have actually heard new people say that we should ban guns up here. Hahahahaha! There are so many predators up here even liberals pack.

Anchorage has been named to have the most diverse neighborhood in America.

I live in Fairbanks and it is remote but even here it's become crime ridden and the economy is gone from the oil field being closed by Obama. The governor has done nothing to reopen it. Business going under everywhere and ppl moving in a mass exodus.

It sucks because this is a remote haven but even here is under the effects.

The price of heating has risen to be as much as the mortgage. Time to go south and try to find a pocket of old school Americans at least.

Still looking at NW Montana but also WY. They are the only two states I personally would move to. ID's taxes are screwy.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:46 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Quote:
Only way to avoid getting outsized is pick a place with little growth potential or declining.
I always figured on retiring to the suburbs of Bill, WY Then the railroad expanded their services there and the miners... well half wanted to be closer to work and half wanted to be further.

I'm thinking back around Lightening Flats. Shhhhh.

Last edited by branDcalf; 07-27-2017 at 08:56 PM..

Old 07-27-2017, 09:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I always figured on retiring to the suburbs of Bill, WY Then the railroad expanded their services there and the miners... well half wanted to be closer to work and half wanted to be further.

yeah, Bill, WY was attractive up until the 1990's

BALLOONED since then.

Too bad I-25 runs past Kaycee... it could have been ideal.

Sheridan still has it's charm (and quite a few more jobs than Bill or Kaycee).

Old 07-28-2017, 06:50 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,072 times
"We are not the kind to come in and change things like a lot of people."

Just to be clear, I never suggested I thought you might be one of those "OK, peeps...WE'RE here now, and THIS is how things are gonna BE..." types of people...

...I'm just saying (in my own convoluted way) that it's 2017 everywhere one looks these days, so no matter WHERE one chooses to 'run'...you're not getting away from anything.

The corrosive-effects of progressive-liberalism are E.V.E.R.Y.W.H.E.R.E. now.

And to make matters even worse, not but a week after Volvo (Swedish-based car & truck company) released a press-conference stating that they would cease production of ANY gasoline or diesel-poweredvehicles by no later than 2019, the U.K. Parliament passed a law (earlier THIS week) stating that there would be NO MORE gas or diesel-powered vehicles sold or registerd to drive on U.K. roads & highways by 2020.

Frightening, when one considers how far one needs to travel for certain goods & services (up to & including certain 'specialized' medical/dental-care) here in Wyoming...

It's only a matter of time before America (and the rest of the world) follows-suit, because one way or another, the limp-wristed 'greenies' WILL get thier way.

Oh...and in case THAT does'nt scare you enough, there's a Wisconsin-based firm who has officially begun offering (soon to become 'mandatory') RFID-chip implantation to thier employees...

...this is supposed to 'make life easier' for all-involved; meaning one has 'easier' access to thier work-station PC, 'easier' access to thier medical & financial (up to and including payroll) business, 'easier' access to thier personal & company vehicles/public-transit & personal-dwellings, as well as 'easier & OH-so-convenient' shopping & purchasing of groceries & personal-goods.

Granted, it would take Wyoming a bit of time to 'catch-up' to such modernization...

...but it is ONLY a matter of time.

I've had the partial-lyrics to a certain 50's or 60's song 'looping' in my head lately: "No-where to RUN to...no-where to HIDE..."

...anyone know who sang it ? Vexes me to no end...lol

Old 07-28-2017, 10:36 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
What I see on internet is Volvo ending production of gas ONLY vehicles (still plans to make gas-electric hybrids) and the U.K. planning to end gas / diesel PRODUCTION by 2040. Significant differences. Maybe they follow thru, maybe they delay or create exceptions. If market balks, they can change or live with consequences.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:13 PM

507 posts, read 661,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post

Hate to be bearing bad news. If you haven't been up there lately, well, Lightning Flats has gone all
trendy like Recluse. I happened to be perusing the latest copy of Lightning Lifestyles and it said they
are getting some of them Dassault Falcons and Learjets landing out at LFI (Flats International) these
days. Might have to give Lost Springs a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming