Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Wyoming, republican state, conservative views, staunch republican wife, home schooling kids, high standard of living, liberal beliefs, family values, fire stations, public school system

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:37 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what article you're referring to, but the only diversifying I'm aware of is classes and degrees offered. NE Wyoming is home to massive pit coal mining, and I believe the college will soon be offering associates degrees in mining technology, and they've been offering diesel technology degrees for a few years.

What they're trying to do is answer the personnel needs of the local industries. It's not much different than offering nursing degrees, which they've been doing for several years. Of course they still offer all the basic classes one would take if the goal is to continue on to the university level. In fact, they work closely with a few four-year colleges and offer higher level courses through them for bachelors degrees in business and, I think, teaching.

I assume that's the diversity to which you refer, and I think it's a good thing. A student can attend college for a couple years and probably go right to work for a local company for $50-$60,000. Local industry gets a trained employee without having to recruit from out of state. Everyone wins.

I don't know what the curriculum is for these degrees, but I'd assume it would include a few basic classes in the arts, math and sciences as well as the "trade industry" classes.

I've attended many of the classes at Gillette's community college and found little to no disruption and mostly good, serious students and educators. Compared to a couple major universities that I've also attended, there's little difference other than campus and class size -- and of course the number of classes and degrees offered. (The average class size in our local community college is about 15.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:44 PM

123 posts, read 216,038 times
I'm curious to learn how folks in Wyoming feel politically about their state, especially from those who have come from other areas of the U.S. I live in Ohio and I'm drawn to Wyoming. In part for the "feel" I got when visiting once, the apparent quality of people, the beauty, etc. etc. But I'm also drawn largely also due to my perception of the state, the conservativeness relevant to the current astonishingly liberal direction and political climate of our beloved U.S.A. Is my perception of Wyoming incorrect. In your opinion (and yes I know it depends on many factors) do you think I could/would find a sense of satisfaction, dare I say relief, maybe respite, by moving in Wyoming. How much bugs the heck out of folks who live in Wyoming? Or perhaps people in Wyoming have a little bit of a..."That might happen elsewhere but not too much here in Wyoming." type comfort? I'm having a hard time expressing exactly what I mean...it's late for me...

I have a family. We're devout Christian. We're tired of liberalism. Tired of the "rat race." We're OK where we are and are in prayer about our nudging to explore the possibility of Wyoming. It probably sounds paranoid but I can't help but wonder if down the road, places like Wyoming and Montana will be the last remaining area/people who stand up for their rights and are able to fend off all the junk of this world and the direction of our government, etc.

Thoughts anyone?

Old 05-07-2009, 09:04 AM

3 posts, read 5,302 times
tekape - I'm a single, 47 yr.old dad, with a daughter (14) and a son (11). I lived in Cody, Wy. in 1993 as an army recruiter. I moved back to Illinois when my dad got sick. I want to move back to Wyoming. I'm looking for work as a truck driver, and my kids are switching schools (one to high school, the other to middle school). This would be an opportune time to move. My first consideration is Casper, because of size and topography. Don't want the culture shock to be too much for the kids (i.e. malls, etc.), and I'm very partial to the mountains. Anything you can do for us as far as info, opinions, housing availability (looking to rent for now), jobs, would be greatly appreciated. Referrals of any kind, people you may know, etc... too! Thanks, again - trebor1961

Old 05-08-2009, 03:19 PM

66 posts, read 153,084 times
Speaking of areas being liberal/conservative, how would the Gillette/Sheridan/Buffalo area stack up compared to other areas? Also, what about Casper? I assume all of these areas would be more conservative than, for example, Jackson Hole.

Like the others, I'm looking for a conservative area. I'm from a deeply liberal area - New York State. I don't live in NYC (which is far worse) but I live near the capital area of Upstate NY and it's pretty bad. I'm sure almost every area of Wyoming is more conservative than my area, but I just want to avoid an area that is "trending towards liberalism."

Like the others, I'm devoutly Christian, I believe in ethics and morals, I'm tired of everything being a suburban clone, etc. While I would prefer to be around conservatives, I don't even have a problem being around a liberal who is willing to respectfully agree to disagree. What I don't like (and what we have too many of here in NY) are the "rabid" liberals who expect you to agree with them or ostracize you if you don't. They're like the Star Trek Borg hive...."Resistance is futile. All will be assimilated."

And, like someone else noted, I too have been on vacation in Wyoming. I've visited 45 states (missing Alaska, California, Hawaii, Louisiana, and Texas). But Wyoming just "felt" right for me.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:24 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,389 times
Just speaking for the short time I've lived in Gillette I've found it to be quite conservative. It is definitely a blue collar, working man/woman town. Most people I know personally go to one church or another but don't push their beliefs on others. Wyoming, in general, is conservative. You would find no comparison to New York, or any largely populated state for that matter. With only a half million people in the entire state (and that hasn't changed much in many, many years) there aren't many people at all, let alone liberals! Having lived in Wyoming my entire life with the exception of 13 years in Montana, I've found Wyoming to even be quite a bit more conservative than many parts of Montana. Hope this helps you some!

Old 05-09-2009, 04:56 AM

7 posts, read 25,251 times
As I've been reading through all the posts...I truly don't know what to think of what will be my new home, Wyoming.

I've been reading nothing but great things about how nice the people there are, so I was very happy to find that out.

However, I consider myself a liberal, but I don't push anything on anyone. I see myself as very open-minded. I may be liberal, but I am a good person that does have morals and ethics.

I teach my children to be nice and helpful to others even if the person is mean to them because it's the right thing to do (to a point of course, I don't want them to be a doormat). We keep to ourselves mostly and don't try to get in anyone's business and don't expect you to get in ours. I will help anyone out that needs it if I am able to do so. I personally don't care for organized religion, but if going to church is for you, who am I to say anything against that? Just don't push it on me or judge me because I don't. I believe that people should live their lives however they want to as long as they are not harming someone else. I believe gay people should have rights, but also agree (as discussed on another thread) that your sexual life is your own and doesn't have to be shouted from the rooftops. To each his/her own I say. Now I'm wondering if I will even fit in there in Wyoming at all......I don't want to cause a ruckus, but all this talk about conservative vs. liberal is making me curious.....

Last edited by ledayl78; 05-09-2009 at 05:19 AM..

Old 05-09-2009, 07:23 AM

Thanks GeorgiainMT! This definitely makes me feel good about my plan. (It also helps to answer the question of "Wyoming or Montana?" MT is beautiful, but still, WY is the one that "felt" right. However, if I live in WY, I can always visit MT.) I don't believe in pushing one religious view on another because I believe faith must be freely chosen. If a person is moral, ethical, trustworthy, and tries to help others in need, that will silently preach the faith and instill curiosity moreso than pushing it. (And if it doesn't, you've still lived a good life and helped others.) But, it is nice to be in a location where you can be in the company of others who go to church. And, more importantly, it is good to be in a place where you are not looked down upon for going to church or practicing your faith.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:24 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledayl78 View Post
As I've been reading through all the posts...I truly don't know what to think of what will be my new home, Wyoming.

I've been reading nothing but great things about how nice the people there are, so I was very happy to find that out.

However, I consider myself a liberal, but I don't push anything on anyone. I see myself as very open-minded. I may be liberal, but I am a good person that does have morals and ethics.

I teach my children to be nice and helpful to others even if the person is mean to them because it's the right thing to do (to a point of course, I don't want them to be a doormat). We keep to ourselves mostly and don't try to get in anyone's business and don't expect you to get in ours. I will help anyone out that needs it if I am able to do so. I personally don't care for organized religion, but if going to church is for you, who am I to say anything against that? Just don't push it on me or judge me because I don't. I believe that people should live their lives however they want to as long as they are not harming someone else. I believe gay people should have rights, but also agree (as discussed on another thread) that your sexual life is your own and doesn't have to be shouted from the rooftops. To each his/her own I say. Now I'm wondering if I will even fit in there in Wyoming at all......I don't want to cause a ruckus, but all this talk about conservative vs. liberal is making me curious.....
Remember Wyoming has a democratic Governor. People there just tend to be middle of the road, not extremist left or right wing, from what I gather. Laramie would be an area where more liberal minded people reside, due to the university there, but I don't think you would be a pariah anywhere in the state given the values you've stated. Strong work ethic, friendly, and being a good neighbor seem to be what Wyomingites are all about. But don't go to Wyoming and compare it to where you've come from in any negative way... that would cause the "ruckus" you speak of

Old 05-09-2009, 07:35 AM

ledayl78, I can't speak for people in Wyoming as I've only visited there. But from what you describe, you're the kind of liberal I wouldn't mind having as a neighbor. While I'd probably disagree with you on most issues, from what you write, it doesn't sound like you're the type who would ostracize or put someone down for disagreeing with you. Where I live, that's exactly what happens. It's like "shame on you for disagreeing with the collective!" or, again, "Resistance is futile. All will be assimilated." It's not even on serious, hard-core moral issues. If, for example, I disagree with the concept of a totally frivolous lawsuit, or ambulance-chasing attorneys (a big industry here), people get annoyed. You, on the other hand, sound like the type of person who would respectfully agree to disagree. And furthermore, there are probably even certain points where you could agree with conservatives who also would respectfully agree to disagree. I certainly could agree with you on the need for morals, ethics, and helping others (and most especially on not getting to the point of being a doormat).

I'll admit that I am strongly looking at WY so I can be around others who are conservative, or at least be in a place where a conservative is not put down. But with that said, despite what would likely be many disagreements, if what you have written reflects how you are, being around people like yourself would certainly be a major improvement over the kind of people that are around here.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:24 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledayl78 View Post

Unless you're FAR to the left (or right) you'll get along just fine with 95% of Wyoming's residents. Actually, you can even lean far to either direction without problems if you're not too vocal about it and push your extreme views onto others.

My wife is a product of Oregon Hippydom, if you know what I mean. You don't get much further left and stay out of jail. We're miles apart on politics and religion, but we get along just fine. Most people I know in Wyoming are like us. We don't have to think as our neighbor to enjoy our neighbor, and we don't pick our friends from their political beliefs. I don't like wackos (either left or right), but I have no rules that you must agree with me -- or even that you must discuss politics with me.

It sounds like you'd get along fine here, even in NE Wyoming where some consider Dick Cheney a flaming liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming