Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 06:51 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schotzie910 View Post
You can get MUCH more house and land in dubois currently than in Jackson! We have been "casually" looking. Now you may need a 4wd and some chains on your tires to get to some of them, lol - but they are out there. And bonus, you are off the beaten tourist path.
if you can afford it and enjoy the location/access ...

enjoy.

I'd suggest that you do take the time to research the places under consideration during the depths of the winter months. There's a reason why this area shuts down after hunting season until late spring each year.

The price disparity suggested in an above post may not reflect considerable differences in the build quality, amenities, access, domestic water supply, community services, views, etc. that present in the properties evaluated. There's more to consider than simply "sq footage under the roof" and number of bedrooms/bathrooms. When I see houses listed in the Dubois area for under $100/psf (per Zillow, for example) ... well, alarm bells are going off about what they've actually got for sale. Best to do your due diligence very carefully ... and I do mean specifically that, do YOUR OWN due diligence. Do not rely upon the representations or allowed assumptions on your part of the real estate agents in the area. Bear in mind that their primary fiduciary responsibility by Wyoming law is to the seller. I've seen more than many dozen situations here where what was "sold" would have been gross misrepresentations or violations of professional ethics in other states practice of real estate sales.

I've friends that bought gorgeous summertime residential properties in Dubois and the surrounding area. The residential properties were, much to the dismay of the buyers, dependent upon a residential shared well supply that was inadequate for 3 households yet was developed to supply many more than that in the subdivision. Not an issue when only the first few parcels were sold and a few recreational use houses were built, But suffice to say that even flushing a toilet could be a problem when more than a few families were "home for a week or two in the summer months" a few years later. Wintertime use was so inaccessible that only a few very hardy dedicated folk tried to live there in the winter months. When the snow piles up and the drifts form in the winds there, it's more than just a set of snow tires and chains on a 4x4 pick-up to get in/out of the area. Unless somebody plows with heavy road gear, the roads simply aren't passable in any normal sense of the word. I'm just pointing out a concern that I observed to be a problem in more than one location there. YMMV.

Last edited by sunsprit; 04-02-2018 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 12:08 PM

788 posts, read 1,741,894 times
I'm in Lander and have worked with several people who lived in Dubois, grew up there, had family there, ect. They all seemed to speak highly of the community and didn't seem to be marginalized from their experience there. Those who lived in dubois commuted to lander several times a week and I don't recall them missing much work due to road conditions.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:05 PM

89 posts, read 327,591 times
The company I work for has a job opening in Jackson, and I would love to apply for it. I didn't see any house on Zillow within 50 miles in my price range so will staying put until my lottery dream happens.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:40 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Victor ID or Alpine WY are the most likely affordable areas in region, if any. Or Thayne WY, if you are willing to drive even further.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:38 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Victor ID or Alpine WY are the most likely affordable areas in region, if any. Or Thayne WY, if you are willing to drive even further.
http://startbus.com/img/image-upload...TBus-W1718.pdf
all have buses that run back and forth to Jackson ,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming