Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 03:52 PM
TGM TGM started this thread

100 posts, read 592,934 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the website - that's one I hadn't found yet. It all looks beautiful. Something that worried me about Rawlings is that I found a blog on the internet where someone described their travels through Wyoming on 80. They wrote that Rawlings had a liquor store on every corner, tons of pawn shops, and "spaced out" citizens hanging out in front of the businesses looking like meth junkies. He described the drive through "depressing" and "eerie". The post was about 10-11 months old.

Is there any truth to this blog I read? I know the area is booming, if this was true, has the town recovered from a depressive state?

I like the other towns, but if you refer to my 1st message there are only a few select towns that I have an option of. Rawlins is one of them, but I guess that blog I read got to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2006, 09:42 PM

49 posts, read 305,369 times
Default regarding Rawlins

I don’t live in Rawlins, I live in Hanna, and actually, usually just go to Rawlins for doctor visits, and to, sometimes, pick up “a few” groceries, (do our majority of shopping at Laramie’s Wal Mart, and because grocery prices are very high everywhere else up here).

I don’t think there is, (actually), a liquor store/bar on every corner, but the city may have more than its share. And, I’m not familiar with street live, either. Meth is a huge problem in the whole state of Wyoming, reportedly, anyway.

The one good thing about Rawlins that I know of, is during the summer months, Rawlins does provide lots of free entertainment for citizens. They have “concerts in the park” every week, and which also tote booths of crafts/foods/etc. This, also, seems to provide an excellent means to become acquainted with other Rawlins/Carbon County residents.

Rawlins does have a Pizza Hut and a Dominoes, and also other “known-chains“, a McDonald‘s, KFC, and Taco Bell, (and, unlike any other place in Carbon County).

When we moved to Wyoming, (and from a very, very, small and isolated town in Colorado), we considered Rawlins, but chose Hanna because Rawlins seemed too busy for us. And Hanna’s real estate seemed like a “more for your money” deal at that time. And out of all of the Carbon County communities nearest to me, Rawlins is the least-scenic. That’s just my opinion, however.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:22 AM

Thanks Munshine - that makes me feel a little better about Rawlins. I'll put it back on my short list.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:35 AM

74 posts, read 367,117 times
Hey Troy - Just logged on here and must reply to you. As a native Texan who spent six years in WA state, OR, and then Montana - believe me - you'll never want to go back to Texas heat after a few years in the lovely mountains. No offense - but there is a reason why I met so many Texans who had moved when we were in WA, OR and Montana. Good for you and your family going to Wyoming. Lots of wonderful people there - good family life. Yes it will be culture shock but it will be a GOOD culture shock, I think you'll find. My sister moved with her all Texas husband to the Tetons area - and now you can't MAKE him go back home to Texas. Their entire family is thrilled with everything. You go for it. Don't listen to the naysayers back home in Houston - we are so glad we did not. We are only back here in Amarillo temporarily to sell some property ourselves. Good luck to you! May God bless your wonderful adventure in Wyoming.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,228 times
Troy,
I grew up in Riverton Wyoming after moving there from MD in 4th grade. I graduated from HS, then travelled in the Coast Guard for 5 yrs. After I got out of the CG I got married and we moved to Laramie. I went to school at UW for 2 years as a fisheries biol. major and my wife was already a teacher, but there was an abundance of teachers there so she worked as a teacher's assist. She went to a job fair in Denver in 1993 to look for work elsewhere one day so we could move while we still had a little savings left. She came back with lots of options but we ended up moving to houston where she taught in Alief for 6 years before having children. We now have kids 2 and 5 and for now they will be homeschooled at least for now. I am an ICU nurse who can work about anywhere and we too are looking at relocation.
All of my family still lives in WY, but it is too isolated, rural and cold for my wife's taste, and frankly mine now too. Of all of the places you mentioned, I would push you toward Laramie. It is probably the coldest of the bunch because of the elevation, but it is also the most diversified, culturally, socially, and economically. You will be cold and wind-blown, but you will have a nice restaurant or two to choose from, and the pizza was good.
It is a little more expensive than other towns in wyoming but with the oil boom in progress the whole state's real estate is growing at 10-20% per year. You will be dissappointed with what you get for your money, but live with it. Laramie has maybe 15K residents but usually has another 10k students running around keeping the place alive without ruining it. The university campus is a beautiful little piney oasis in the middle of a sagebrush desert.
All of the other towns you listed are either so small that you will feel super isolated, or they are so "1-industry" boom towns in the middle of the desert that you will likely get bored, or at least I would. I don't know where we will end up yet, may be as close as austin, or as far as billings.
Hope this helps. I am new to "threading" don't even know how you could ask me questions if you wanted to, guess it will be obvious,
good luck
Curtis, Sugar Land.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:47 PM

Hey guys & gals - I just heard that two towns have been added to my list of possible choices - Kemmerer & Hanna.

Any input on these two towns? Kemmerer has photos on its website that show a pretty good view of the town, however the mountains don't seem very high... Are threre really good mountain views in either of these towns, or are they mostly rolling hills like the rest of the southern areas?

Troy

Old 08-30-2006, 08:08 AM

12 posts, read 88,618 times
WOW - TGM your really doing your homework. That's great!

I was glad to hear that you've considered Hanna, that is were I'll be moving to next week. I just loved the little town and everyone was so nice, I'm really looking forward to meeting all my neighbors.

I'm really glad it was cleared up about Rawlins which was my other choice for living. I think Rawlins is a great place too, but we wanted something even more beautiful and cozy to speak of. We have friends in Rawlins and do plan on spending time there, especially for the concerts in the park, etc....

I've noticed you've been on this forum for sometime looking for information, when is your big move?

Old 08-30-2006, 03:00 PM

Thanks Poohkie, you and Munshine make Hanna seem like a great place to live. She sent me some photos from around her house and one real neat on with the deer wandering around in her front yard!

The deadline for submission of my 3 choices is tomorrow, the 31st. I have already sent in my paperwork and my first choice was Laramie, 2nd Rawlins, and 3rd will be Hanna. I want a larger town, however if I don't get it Hanna seems to be the best small town on my list.

If all goes as planned, I will be moving to one of the towns on my list about the middle of February 2007.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,230 times
Default Consider Sheridan or Buffalo!

Hi, TGM,

You might want to look at Sheridan as a decent sized city with good weather and many nice amenities. AND good views in many parts of the town!

We own a home in Buffalo (pop. around 3500?) which is 30 minutes south of Sheridan (pop. about 15000?) and we do some shopping in both towns and go to Billings, MT for major shopping and also for flights. Casper WY is a much bigger city and is only about an hour+15 min south of us.

Alternatively (and if you are willing to live in a much smaller town!) Buffalo is an awesome small town -- very functional downtown, active Chamber, lots of recreational opportunities, super restaurants, a YMCA, outdoor community pool, western history museum, greenways, golf course, and EXCELLENT views. Housing is getting more expensive but good deals can still be found and we feel great about having invested in our property there.

Good luck in your search.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:39 PM

Thanks Ponyprint. My fate is sealed for now, but my current plan (since I really don't know anything about Wyoming) is to rent for the 1st year, while I use my off time to tour the state. I am then free to buy where I am at if I choose, or move and buy in a better place if I find one within my first year there.

I'll put Buffalo on my list of towns to visit before I buy a house. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming